Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Best "wax"/etc. for newer car metallic black paint...?

I was wondering what the opinions were on the best wax/etc. for a newer car (2014) with metallic black paint.

The car is the 2014 Lincoln MKS with tuxedo black paint (metallic).

I like the deep dark gloss/wet look - which can be hard to get with metallic paint.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best "wax"/etc. for newer car metallic black paint...?

Best is so subjective, this thread is going to be a crapshoot.

However, what I like best in a wax is it`s hydrophobic characteristics. And in that department, BlackICE has you covered. As a bonus, it lasts a really long time 4-6 months.

This is my video demonstrating the amazing hydrophobic characteristics of that wax.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is subjective... but this is the first metallic car I have ever had - all others have been straight black.

So, I am asking for opinions...

It is so hard to make a metallic black car look as good as a straight black car - as far as deep, dark, wet, gloss black looking.

I am hoping others out there who have metallic black cars and who like the deep, dark, wet look will be able to steer me in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rhosan. It`s going to be totally subjective. However, I would suggest Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and topping with Midnight Sun or Black Ice. Two great combos. Super easy to use and a nice deep wet look.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I detailed a friend`s metallic black Audi last month and topped it with Collinite 845. It looked awesome and it is holding up really well.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I would suggest Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and topping with Midnight Sun
    +1 on this combination.

Post Thanks / Like

When people combine the terms "wax" and "deep, dark, wet" my default recommendation is Victoria Concours Red. It is not crazy expensive, fairly easy to apply and moderately durable (vastly better than Souveran). The caveat is that I haven`t used it on metallic black but it looks amazing on solid black or red. My strongest recommendation, however, would be to go with a coating instead of waxes or sealants. Black is a dog of the female gender to maintain and a coating will significantly help with that. Some of the earlier generations of coatings were a bit sterile looking (part of that may be down to prep) but things have much improved in that regard. There are several threads by Raven on Detailing World that feature his metallic black Lexus IS-F. TKDekany and several other pros have shown some amazing work on US forums. It is definitely possible to get a coating finish that isn`t just bright and glassy.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I own a Panther Black Ford, which is Tuxedo Black under the different Euro name. Best "pop" I`ve actually found for the color and bringing the metallic up in it was Meguiars NXT liquid. And it`s not like I didn`t have shelves of exotic stuff to experiment with. Past that an almost indistinguishable other option was Menzerna Power Lock

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the BEST way to get the "Deep, Dark, Wet" look you`re after is to polish the paint FIRST. worry about the wax SECOND. After the paint is polished to where the swirls and other defects are gone (or as best as you can rid the paint of them), THEN you decide what wax you want to use to MAINTAIN the deep, dark, wet look you obtained with the polishing.

You can get the best wax in the world, but if the surface of the car is not properly prepared, it will never look as good as you want it to. And like the others have said, "What is the BEST wax" is subjective, I can tell you what the best wax of ME is and the others can tell you what the best wax for THEM is, but only you can decide what the best wax for you is going to be.

I don`t mean to sound harsh or negative, but IMHO this is the best way to get what you want.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Define "best". I`m all about protection and durability these days, with appearance (such as the LSP contributes to that) a much lesser consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    IMO, the BEST way to get the "Deep, Dark, Wet" look you`re after is to polish the paint FIRST. worry about the wax SECOND. After the paint is polished to where the swirls and other defects are gone (or as best as you can rid the paint of them), THEN you decide what wax you want to use to MAINTAIN the deep, dark, wet look you obtained with the polishing.

You can get the best wax in the world, but if the surface of the car is not properly prepared, it will never look as good as you want it to. And like the others have said, "What is the BEST wax" is subjective, I can tell you what the best wax of ME is and the others can tell you what the best wax for THEM is, but only you can decide what the best wax for you is going to be.

I don`t mean to sound harsh or negative, but IMHO this is the best way to get what you want.
    Well, yes, I agree...

My regimen is - wash, clay, wash, polish, wax, glaze, seal....etc...

I am just looking for a "wax"/products that make the black metallic actually look black when the sun hits it - and not like a dark gray because of the metallic particles...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Blackfire products - wash, clay, polish, wax, seal, spray detailer, etc...?

Post Thanks / Like

The metallic black ("Granite Metallic") on the Yukon I used to have would look a bit "grey" unless it was polished to the nth degree, actually made a remarkable diff.

Even then, different LSPs would mute/accentuate the metallic effect quite a bit, sometimes to the extent that it looked " metallic *BLACK* " or " *METALLIC* black " if you get what I mean regarding the difference between the two. I initially preferred the former, but ended up liking the latter, which also got a *LOT* more compliments.

BLACK- Collinite 476S; Blackfire would be my choice of sealant
    METALLIC- FK1000P (also first choice for protection)

Not sure how coatings would be in this regard....

Post Thanks / Like

I second Collinite 845, 476, or 915. Finishing waxes, without fillers, on meticulously polished paint, is the only way to make metallic paint pop . The whole idea of accentuating metal flake is to make the clearcoat as clear and level as possible. After all, we ain`t doing anything to the base coat or flakes of metal, we`re just making the clear coat as clear as possible in order for the base coat and flakes to show through. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I second Collinite 845, 476, or 915. Finishing waxes, without fillers, on meticulously polished paint, is the only way to make metallic paint pop . The whole idea of accentuating metal flake is to make the clearcoat as clear and level as possible. After all, we ain`t doing anything to the base coat or flakes of metal, we`re just making the clear coat as clear as possible in order for the base coat and flakes to show through. Right?
    See, that is just it... I DON`T want the metal flakes to "pop" - I want to try and minimize them and get a dark, deep, glossy, wet, black look - and not the shiny metal flake look.

I wish Lincoln would make the car in a plain black - but it doesn`t.

The metal flakes take away from the deep black look and make the car look more very dark gray.

I am trying to get it to look as deep, dark, gloss, black - as possible...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information