Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clay trick

Post Thanks / Like

clay trick

i have a new method of using clay when its very cold .. i was going to clay an expedition the other night and the clay was like a rock .. the temp was in the low 50s . so i get the idea to warm up the clay in a coffe mug full of hot water .. so i zap the water in the micro and drop the clay in and let it warm up and it got very soft and easy to work . after doing one panel it got cold and hard again and i soaked it for 30 seconds and kneaded it and it worked great and i did the vehicle panel by panel using this trick . the other good thing i noticed was the clay absorbed contaminents much better when it was soft and didnt leave any scratches so this is something i will def do again and recomend it... try it out
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clay trick

That is a good idea. I would probably suggest putting the clay in a baggie before you put it in the hot water. I`ve had clay bars get saturated while using them and I don`t know that all clay is going to work well soaking in hot water.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks but it worked great and i might even do this when its not so cold .
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt it worked great, but some clay it isn`t going to work the same way. Would putting it in a baggie change the results at all do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

i simply try different things to get the best results from the tools and products at my disposal and i am willing to share my results here to help other detailers . i dont really get to deep with detailing theory because detailing is a very simple process and i keep it real simple so if you want to try the baggie method please do so and post your results ... sorry to be rude but this thread isnt really all about you ..ok
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn`t trying to make it all about me so you can relax now. Are you always this gracious when someone has questions about your discoveries? I was just asking if you thought it would make any difference if you put it in a baggie just in case someone out there was using a clay that would saturate in warm water. I keep my clay in the house so it doesn`t get cold and cause problems, but I can see this being a good idea for cold clay.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I wasn`t trying to make it all about me so you can relax now. Are you always this gracious when someone has questions about your discoveries? I was just asking if you thought it would make any difference if you put it in a baggie just in case someone out there was using a clay that would saturate in warm water. I keep my clay in the house so it doesn`t get cold and cause problems, but I can see this being a good idea for cold clay.
    Yeah, Ron`s remarks were a little uncalled for. I also share your concerns that the hot water may cause the life of the clay to shorten or reduce its effectiveness. The hot water is a great idea though. Way to innovate Ron!

Post Thanks / Like

If you look up whats in clay, I dont think hot water will really affect it. Just my .02 from working with clay for15 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless... I`ve had Pinnacle PolyClay, Mother`s, and Meguiar`s clay saturate and turn into useless goo when it has gotten too wet. In fact, if you search for it on Autopia there are many people who were having the same problem. Someone suggested that you don`t dry the car after washing and just use the rinse water as the majority of your lube. Many of us noticed when you did that it would saturate the clay. The thread is likely a couple years old, but it doesn`t change the fact that it is a risk. Why risk it when a baggie is easy and even lower risk?

Anyway, it`s just a suggestion in case you are concerned about saturation and wanted to try it. If you want to put your bare clay in warm water then go for it. I`ll be using a baggie.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone suggested that you don`t dry the car after washing and just use the rinse water as the majority of your lube. Many of us noticed when you did that it would saturate the clay.
    Anthony, I have claying this way ever since I discovered it worked for me....lol
    Never had an issue with absorption in the short term.

Great idea for those who need to warm the clay up. Heres a little experiment inspired by this idea.
    Put some old clay in a glass with a predetermined amount of water. Cover and let sit for 24 hrs. Remove clay, and check qty of water remaining. Maybe this will solve the "Can water possibly interfere or change clays original formula?"......Just an idea.....
    Both are great ideas and the two of you should be commended......Yet neither idea is worthy of arguement, we`re all here to assist each other.
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Post Thanks / Like

Neither have I with Clay Magic, Four Star or Wolfgang Clay. I have had it happen with others though. Logically it is something to think about though. Clay can be saturated. This won`t necessarily do it, but it is a possibility.

I'll bet I can wax that. Leyland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea if you are in a place that is cold. I don`t think it has ever gotten that cold down here to cause problems with clay. I`d probably bag mine too if I tried this, but I probably wouldn`t have thought about it.
    Rainbow Detailing
    ...need a wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I do live in a climate where this might come in handy. I would put it in a bag and then dunk it into the water though just to be safe. I tried out Four Star clay and found it to be pretty hard,......maybe this would soften what I have left of the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Anthony, I have claying this way ever since I discovered it worked for me....lol
    Never had an issue with absorption in the short term.

Great idea for those who need to warm the clay up. Heres a little experiment inspired by this idea.
    Put some old clay in a glass with a predetermined amount of water. Cover and let sit for 24 hrs. Remove clay, and check qty of water remaining. Maybe this will solve the "Can water possibly interfere or change clays original formula?"......Just an idea.....
    Both are great ideas and the two of you should be commended......Yet neither idea is worthy of arguement, we`re all here to assist each other.
    This is also the method I have used for over 15 years and have Never had a problem.

I love this....When everybody gets all riled up over there particular method of operation.

Occupant Ilied Industries occupant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My clay trick was to buy a car that was covered in clay-rich Oklahoma red dirt. Then wash and scrub.

Hahaha...that`s my joke for the day.

Soft clay would definitely work better. I think with temps in the 80s-90s here in September it won`t be a problem, but this will be my first time working with an actual clay bar on an actual car so I hope it works well. Not expecting show car results, just want to get all the sap and mess out of the paint before I put on any wax or polish and start driving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information