Post Thanks / Like

Harley scratch help

A friend of mine wants me to detail his 2013 Electra Glide Ultra Limited but he said he really wants to do something about these deep scratches. So........should I try Dr. Colorchip on it? Or just any black touch up paint? Also should I wet sand after the touch up has cured? Or just polish everything as usual after it cures?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harley scratch help

I wouldn`t attempt this because I never get the results I`m looking for...that said I would use some touch paint and build it up best as possible, LIGHTLY wet sand and polish.

For me I would suggest that he takes the fender off the bike and have it repainted.. if he`s looking for a more perfect job.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

He isn`t really going for perfect. He just hates seeing the scratches. He want`s it to look good but he rides everyday and rides hard, rain or shine so as long as it blends a little then I am sure he will be happy. I plan on removing the saddles and the rear fender for polishing and coating.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like metallic paint, so getting a really good paint match will be impossible without a respray as per Dave`s advice above. It would look a little better with Dr. Colorchip if it was a flat color vs metallic..

There are a lot of scratches to fill..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it`s a large fender, I can`t imagine it costing a fortune (relatively speaking) to re-paint it. The metaic finish is the determining factor here. Assuming the tank and other painted parts are in good shape, that`s what I would counsel the owner to do. I`ve seen some remarkable touch ups performed. That said, this just looks tough with all the arms to that scratch I have to think your eye would go right to it and in the end that`s exactly what is happening now.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like the black would blend more than the white in the scratches? I think the main problem here is we usually think perfection of which this person is not worried about and I`m sure he is in no rush for a repaint. This is not a show bike but a daily ridden and sits outside all day except for when he is home.

So I guess my new question is, should I do a touch up or not do anything to it at all? And if the answer is touch up, does anyone have any tips for touch ups?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion to the owner and I`ve seen this on many of the Harley I detail ( I do a fair amount a year for a local indy shop) Get some aluminium adhesive tape and cut that into a square or circle..and poke a hole for the screw...It covers up the area, protects it from more scratching and can be replaced very easy.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    I feel like the black would blend more than the white in the scratches? I think the main problem here is we usually think perfection of which this person is not worried about and I`m sure he is in no rush for a repaint. This is not a show bike but a daily ridden and sits outside all day except for when he is home.

So I guess my new question is, should I do a touch up or not do anything to it at all? And if the answer is touch up, does anyone have any tips for touch ups?
    Mi Amigo !
    If your Client says he will be happy to see it touched up, then I would try my old standby - DrColorchip..
    Have used it many times and it is always predictable..

If you can very carefully fill in just the scratched areas, let it dry the allotted time, and then go over it with the other product to remove any paint not in the scratch, it will certainly fill it in..

You want the scratched, filled, surfaces to be perfectly flat with the rest of the paintwork, and that alone will have to be better..

Examine all around the damaged areas before, and see if there is any surface scratches, etc., that can be carefully removed Before you begin the fill in process, so you dont have to try to remove them after its painted..

Or, you can fill it all in, let it dry at least overnight, and very lightly sand flat all around it with a 3000grit piece of wet or dry, and then very carefully compound the area and polish it up..

Do you have something you can practice on first before you go do this?

It is very tedious work if you want to do this correctly..

I use a camels hair sword brush(from when I was Painting) that they sell at most Auto Body/Paint Supply Shops.. When its wet with a little solvent/paint mixture, it comes to a very very fine tip that allows you to just touch inside the damaged area and leave a line of paint..

The Dr Colorchip kit will give you some brushes of different sizes that will also work..

Think about this, see if you can get something to try it out on if possible, and now you have another option !
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Just a suggestion to the owner and I`ve seen this on many of the Harley I detail ( I do a fair amount a year for a local indy shop) Get some aluminium adhesive tape and cut that into a square or circle..and poke a hole for the screw...It covers up the area, protects it from more scratching and can be replaced very easy.
    Great idea! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mi Amigo !
    If your Client says he will be happy to see it touched up, then I would try my old standby - DrColorchip..
    Have used it many times and it is always predictable..

If you can very carefully fill in just the scratched areas, let it dry the allotted time, and then go over it with the other product to remove any paint not in the scratch, it will certainly fill it in..

You want the scratched, filled, surfaces to be perfectly flat with the rest of the paintwork, and that alone will have to be better..

Examine all around the damaged areas before, and see if there is any surface scratches, etc., that can be carefully removed Before you begin the fill in process, so you dont have to try to remove them after its painted..

Or, you can fill it all in, let it dry at least overnight, and very lightly sand flat all around it with a 3000grit piece of wet or dry, and then very carefully compound the area and polish it up..

Do you have something you can practice on first before you go do this?

It is very tedious work if you want to do this correctly..

I use a camels hair sword brush(from when I was Painting) that they sell at most Auto Body/Paint Supply Shops.. When its wet with a little solvent/paint mixture, it comes to a very very fine tip that allows you to just touch inside the damaged area and leave a line of paint..

The Dr Colorchip kit will give you some brushes of different sizes that will also work..

Think about this, see if you can get something to try it out on if possible, and now you have another option !
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks Dan! Maybe now is the perfect time for me to go get a black practice panel to try it out on, plus I wanted to start practicing with a Rotary and need a test panel anyway.

I will mention the respray to him though. He did just open a business so he is watching what he spends for now and putting as much as he can back into the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Mi Amigo -
    Glad to help ! Anytime is a good time to practice... Have any family members with a scratched panel that they will let you practice on ?
    If it doesnt work, then just wipe it all out and start over..
    The Paint they (Dr Colorchip) use is a Lacquer based paint I believe, so it will be able to touch up nicely and flow nicely like lacquer always does, and have pretty good long staying power..

Just be sure he or you can find a very good Painter if he decides on a respray, who is old enough to thoroughly understand Color matching metallic paint, so that both color and metallic particles match the rest of the surrounding painted panels if any..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I might be able to do a practice spot on my brothers car. I know he has a couple small paint chips. Also what about going direct to Harley? They have a bottle and pen in black plus a clear. My buddy does know a couple painters too. He has had a couple old Cadillac`s and had them both painted so I will see if he wants to ask them.

Post Thanks / Like

After it`s fixed, suggest a quick release nut for that seat removal, no more tools. Looks like he was dangerous with tools!

Thread Information