Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I`ve been a member/lurker here for many many years but not much of a poster(due to all of my clients being the uber private Jupiter Island type.) I recently moved up here to Asheville, NC from Palm Beach, FL. I`ve owned a mobile auto detailing/yacht management company since 2005, so I`ve never had a shop or worked from a fixed location...I`m currently mobile here as well but with the winter weather coming, I`m looking at other possibilities.

On to my question, I see a lot of click and brag posts where the works is obviously being done at home garage.. do your clients have any issues with leaving a car with you at your home? Is your business generated mostly by word of mouth? (since there`s no signs out front and no truck/trailer to advertise with while driving around) Do your neighbors have any issues with you running your business from home? Any of you renting your homes?

Just trying to get a feel for things, I used the search function but didn`t find too much. TIA!

Post Thanks / Like
    word of mouth and online marketing

bring cars home when they dont have a garage to work in

no issues...they leave and then come back when I am done

neighbors come over and watch sometimes, or just check out the cars and talk

Post Thanks / Like
    if anything neighbors after a while tend to become your next customers xD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy

Same here. Though I only do a car or two a month on average and don`t really try to attract attention. If I were doing it full time I`d probably look for a building to rent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy

exactly what I do..

You may need to insure your garage. I’ve got 150K liability just in case something falls on one of my customers cars/ for dealerships.
    Supreme Clean Automotive Detailing, LLC

Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done plenty of cars from my garage. Some customers do not have the availabilty or good location to have it done at their house, so they drop it off at mine. Now I am working towards getting a shop but for the moment what I can not do mobile I do at my house. I have had tons of customers leave there vehicles over night or for a weekend pending what is getting done and if I have other work as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I figured it wasn`t a problem but just wanted to get everyone`s take on it. I feel more comfortable knowing that quite a few people run their business this way. I was afraid I would be perceived as unprofessional by some people, but it looks like I`m going for it :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t place the info like that on your site or any marketing material. To the public, be a full service, on site mobile detailer. Just do the garage thing on a case by case basis. I`ve had customers straight up tell me "i dont have a driveway and park on the street, which is a hill, do you want me to drop it off?" In that case I go pick it up, leaving them my truck. Most people want to think you have a shop, not a home garage-so let them, otherwise you could turn a customer off if they think you are just some guy working out of your home (its a just a perception thing)

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexshimshimhae
    if anything neighbors after a while tend to become your next customers xD

Or, they hate you running a business out of your house. :bawling:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    the only cars that i detail out of my house are big correction jobs, and the customers dont worry about leaving ther cars overnight because i live in a high end neighborhood....
    PRISTINE DETAILS

SERVING THE ENTIRE S.F. BAY AREA

Marco (Owner/Operator)

Post Thanks / Like
    same here...the one steps get done elsewhere. The 3 steps and 2+ day jobs get brought over if no garage is available

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tssdetailing
    ......Most people want to think you have a shop, not a home garage-so let them, otherwise you could turn a customer off if they think you are just some guy working out of your home (its a just a perception thing)

Interesting and valid point, above.

It depends on where you live, and the TYPE of potential customers in your area.

IMO, many luxury car owners, especially those who have deep pockets and seeking big budget detailing jobs, MIGHT expect to see a nice high-end shop that immediately gives them a good impression. It projects credibility and professionalism.

But if they see a mere house garage littered with personal belongings, many car owners could be a bit skeptical...unless they see lots of beautiful pics of your detailed cars, and supported by word-of-mouth highly positive recommendations by their trusted friends.

I know...many home-based detailers will say that it`s THEIR abilities/skill that count + the final results....and not the surrounding environment. I fully agree.

Unfortunately, which consumer would not want to buy a prdt or service from a proper-looking premise? If you wanna install an expensive turbo kit into your ride, would you trust it to a guy who works under a tree at the back of his home with dogs and cats roaming around, or would u hv more confidence in a proper-looking workshop?

It really helps to have a "professional looking" garage area to give people an immediate favourable impression. It`s not everything, but it helps. Huge framed photos of your previous works can be hung all over your garage to impress and persuade the potential customer.....that`s your "silent salesman". Your detailing products and tools could also be impressively displayed. Proper lighting.

In short, it`s like a "detailing shop inside a garage".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Or, they hate you running a business out of your house. :bawling:

^This.

I`m convinced my jobless neighbors take joy out of sending city authorties to my door.

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing is my sole source of income. I have no website or marketing materials. I have never left a flyer or brochure anywhere. I started when I was 15 detailing out back of a restaurant I washed dishes at. I continued until my late 20`s detailing part-time. I am now 35, I work out of my garage and driveway. I detail Hyundais & Hondas, and I detail Lambos & Mercedes. I have clients ranging from the working class stiff to local TV celebrities to a few sports figures.

With this in mind, I have NEVER once had a potential client EVER question the fact that I work out of my garage. I live in a mid to upper class city, nothing fancy. I think it lends a kind of "Mystique" if you will... People say "WOW... He did that out of his garage...?!". I have had some of the BEST custom paintwork done out of someone`s garage. And he does it for a living, out of his garage. My neighbor is a Colt handgun phenom, she can fix any model 1911 Colt, out of her WELL equipped garage.

Working out of your garage is only a barrier if you let it. Go for it.

-josh

Thread Information