Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rescuing a Neglected Black Pony - 2001 Saleen Mustang - Major Correction - 22ple VX Pro2 Glass Coating & CarPro Forte

The owner of this low mileage (just 38k miles) Saleen Mustang brought it to us with the hope that we could bring some life back into the abused paint. Upon first inspection many months ago, it did not appear to be in such bad shape... but to be perfectly honest, I inspected it at dusk, and without proper lighting... boy was I in for a surprise when it got dropped of for the appointment last week and I took a proper look at it. This vehicle had some of the most severe "other detailer damage" we have ever seen, and it surely gave us a run for our money, but after MANY days & nights of work, we got it looking much better.

Process
    Tires: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and Tire Brush
    Wheels: Sonax FE, Wheel Woolies, EZ Detail Brush & other brushes
    Foam Pre-Soak: CarPro Iron X Snow Soap via DI Foam Lance
    Wash: Iron X Snow Soap
    Chemical Decon: Iron X
    Mechanical Decon: Medium Grade Speedy Prep Towel with Glide for lubrication
    Paint Thickness Readings Taken
    Masked off delicate areas
    Correction: M101 & Meguiar`s MF Cutting Discs as needed on the worst areas, Blackfire SRC Compound & Orange LC Pads, M205 & White LC Pads via Rupes LHR21ES, Rupes LHR75e, and Griot`s Garage 3rd Gen.
    Foam Wash/Rinse to remove dust
    IPA Wipe Down
    Paint Coating: 22ple VX Pro2
    Wheels Hand Polished with M205
    Wheels wiped down with IPA
    Wheel Coating: 22ple VX Pro2
    Glass Polish: M205 on Yellow LC Foam
    Glass wiped down with IPA
    Glass Coating: CarPro Forte (3 coats windshield, 1 elsewhere)
    Tires: CarPro PERL
    Exhaust Tips: CG Metal Polish
    Glass: Meguiar`s D120
    Basic Interior Cleaning & Wiped down with 303 Aerospace Protectant

The car arrived dirty, but we could already see how dull the paint was.

Wheels & Tires were thoroughly cleaned, then the entire vehicle was covered with a heavy foam of shampoo and degreaser to help break down any dirt before washing.

Once the car had been carefully washed, the paint was treated with IronX chemical to safely dissolve bonded iron contaminates from the paint. You can see the contamination dripping off the vehicle and onto the driveway.

After the paint was clean, it was brought inside for inspection. The paint was incredibly dull and covered with all kinds of defects.

I began my testing to determine the best process for restoring this paint. It was clear that we would be able to make a dramatic improvement in overall clarity and color, though there would still be plenty of defects that remained.

Door before correction. Notice how dull and faded the paint is.

Door after compounding. A dramatic improvement. Look at how much clearer the reflections are.

50/50 shot on the door. Notice how much cleaerer the reflections are after just compounding.

The hood was just repainted ~2 months ago, however the body shop did a poor job at properly finishing the hood. You do not even need direct lighting to see how dull the paint is.

We picked up where they left off and got the paint into good shape.

Again, overhead lighting is all that is needed to see the transformation in color and clarity.

Comparing the corrected hood to the uncorrected fender. We are chaninging this car from grey to black.

Fender before

Fender after compounding.

Working hard!

Matt was going after all the small, harder to reach areas.

Some crazy defects on the rear of this car. After speaking with the owner, these crazy defects which covered the rear quarters, spoiler, and bumper were caused by another detailer that he hired to "buff out the paint" shortly after buying the vehicle. Certainly a sign of what can be done with a machine in the wrong hands.

After a lot of correction work, we got it dialed in.

Retired Professional Detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, RoccoVA liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rescuing a Neglected Black Pony - 2001 Saleen Mustang - Major Correction - 22ple VX Pro2 Glass Coating & CarPro Forte

Even more deep defects on this rear quarter.

Again, we took care of it and got it looking much better.

50/50 shot on the trunk after compounding.

Trunk after compounding. Looking much better.

Rear quarter before correction.

After compounding.

The bumper was perhaps the most unique looking buffer defects we have seen. Very deep defects on the rear bumper.

After correction. Color and clarity restored.

50/50 on the lip of the rear bumper.

After a tremendous amount of cutting, the car was covered in dust, so we washed it again before polishing.

The entire car was then refined even further with a fine finishing polish to bring out even more clarity and gloss.

I examined my work in the setting sun before I begain installing the protective paint coating.

Clear reflections!

22ple VX Pro 2 was then carefully applied to all painted surfaces and wheels.

The coating was baked with infrared heat lamps to accelerate curing and promote higher gloss and surface hardness.

The car looked great afterwards! While we certainly did not achieve perfection, the difference was dramatic. There are still a great deal of defects in the paint - especially in those complex areas - but overall the color and depth of the paint is absolutely night and day from where we started. I`d say it was a successful restoration. This low mileage car is now ready for many more years of looking good if it is properly maintained.

Likes Stokdgs, RoccoVA, richluu liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rescuing a Neglected Black Pony - 2001 Saleen Mustang - Major Correction - 22ple VX Pro2 Glass Coating & CarPro Forte

Post detail photo shoot in my favorite downtown location.

Thanks for looking!

Likes Mp0wer, The Guz, Stokdgs, JSFM35X, ShawnF350 and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

great job. way to make black look like it should. that thing was hammered. owner must have been thrilled.

Post Thanks / Like

As a Mustang lover through and through, I thank and applaud you for your work on that abused pony. Whoever worked on that car before needs to have their buffer taken from them. Holy moly I can`t remember seeing anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice save! Rescuing a Neglected Black Pony - 2001 Saleen Mustang - Major Correction - 22ple VX Pro2 Glass Coating & CarPro Forte
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work as usual!

I can`t wrap my head around those defects... Looks like someone used a dirty rag with one finger rubbing in circles.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice save. Saw that rear bumper shot on facebook. I thought the black civic I did this weekend was bad. This one takes the cake no doubt! Great job sir.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing turn around. Great job
    Tampa, Fl

Post Thanks / Like

From dull and lifeless to BEAUTIFUL !!!

Great work as always

Post Thanks / Like

nice job

how many man hours (since there were 2 of you) do you think you had on that car?

Who ever swirled that up what really trying (to swirl it up)

What made you try the 22ple, I am used to seeing you post Finest details.

I loved the 22ple VX1 I treid on my wifes MDX. Just curious who Pro`s use what they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Those before picture make me think the previous "detailer" (and I use that word with serious doubt) was really someone under the age of 7 with 00 or 0 steel wool and a scouring powder washing the car. Fortunately the owner found you and let you make it right. Excellent Job!
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

What in tarnation was their washing method, Scotchbrite wrapped around a Brillo?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    What in tarnation was their washing method, Scotchbrite wrapped around a Brillo?
    Look at the post right above yours LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Those before picture make me think the previous "detailer" (and I use that word with serious doubt) was really someone under the age of 7 with 00 or 0 steel wool and a scouring powder washing the car....
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    nice job

how many man hours (since there were 2 of you) do you think you had on that car?

Who ever swirled that up what really trying (to swirl it up)

What made you try the 22ple, I am used to seeing you post Finest details.

I loved the 22ple VX1 I treid on my wifes MDX. Just curious who Pro`s use what they do.
    We had a total of around 22-25 hours of work into this vehicle start to finish.

I used to use 22ple VX Pro quite often as it is a great product that is quite easy to use as well. I was very interested in trying the newer generation of 22ple coatings (VX3 and VX Pro 2) when they were released, and this felt like a good vehicle to use it on.

We are CarPro Authorized Finest Installers, and do recommend that as our premium professional option for vehicle`s that fit the criteria, but I do still enjoy experimenting with other coatings. We have always offered 2-3 tiers of coating options to our customers ranging from lower priced consumer grade coatings to high priced professional products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information