Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Start to finish without beating you over the head with 200 pictures of the swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think it helps to have some eye candy in the final presentation. the girl has to be sexy & dressed well. i see alot of ugly girls try to model, they are wasting the detailers time by being ugly. an ugly girl doesn`t help sell the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you what makes a bad click and brag for me. Posting a video without any pictures. I can read and look through a thread in a minute or two. Unless its a video of hot chicks, I`m not watching a 10 minute video.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree Scott. People like to see something here and now right in front of their face. They don`t always want to be pestered into being locked down for a video.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

What I like to see: First time efforts.`Also, aged,`well worn transformations on daily drivers with`lots of miles.

`

What I don`t like to see: Brand new 2013 / 2014 cars being buffed and polished`right off the delivery truck. I`m tired of exotics and black BMW`s, Audis, Mercedes Benz`s, and Porsche`s.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you mborner! Even though it`s mind numbing how crappy many cars come from the factory/dealer, `I like seeing huge transformations that make the work/effort/ability of the detailer really stick out. I also like to read the story behind it too if it`s good as long as it`s not a copy & paste from Wikipedia explaining the heritage of the car unless it`s extremely rare.`

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to see the author go into more detail in what products they used, how many passes, by hand or machine. Also, for newbies (like me) it would be great if there would be a thread created and people just add on to it. It would include year/model/hard or soft paint/and maybe best way for wheel correction for different types of wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m all for the exchanging of information. The more the better. Not just for newbs, but pros too.`

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve not read the thread and foreseeably will not have the time to. I did read some of the last page though.

`

A good C&B is going to be in the eye of the beholder. Trying not to drink the kool-aid that the masses drinks means I try my best to do things my own way. I am not hung up in how someone restored the paint on a car because I`m not hungry for that information. I enjoy visuals of the players doing the work and befores/afters. What I enjoy seeing is what someone will find in my own C&B threads.

`

I get that some people may not be enthusiastic about C&B`s like mine that don`t give away my methods. I think Bob Willis has a similar thought about it though. We either work really hard to make something unique and different -with something to protect. Or we follow the crowds and do what everyone else does and it doesn`t matter if they know. That`s not knocking anyone for their approach. That`s an observation.

`

No, I won`t share my techniques(to some, they don`t carry any value anyways -so really, who cares?). But, if someone is looking for assistance, they can call me and speak with me. I have made myself available for anyone to call and have a few folks I mentor from west and east coasts and then others I just plain speak business`with(Eric....are you there???). Then again, I have someone that mentors me just the same as I do for others. His approach has not been to give away everything for everyone. His approach has been to think big-picture for his best interest and yet still help the community where he can.

`

If everyone just puts a good effort into providing content, everyone can win. We can be entertained, the forum can do well and we can have a way to express our work and feelings on cars. The exact content isn`t super important.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like

When reading a Click N Brag, I enjoy the following:

`

If you are afforded time when completing the post...

-If there`s a good story, share it. `(I get to learn a little about your person and what`s important/ interesting to you. `Could even be why you like the car.)

-If you encountered an unexpected problem/ scenario, if you are comfortable, share it. `(We are all human and things don`t always go as planned.)

-A good 50/50 and a good close-up pic of the paint showing the texture (i.e.- orange peel)

-One panel shot, before and after.

-Before and After shots of the vehicle. `(Doesn`t have to be at all 4 corners, etc...)

-Maybe a unique area of the vehicle showing damage and correction? `(Maybe an area that was hard to access and hand polished?)

-A picture in the sun if possible.

-<u>If you want to divulge products/pads/etc.. cool! `If not cool!</u>

- A picture of yourself, working, or just doing whatever. `(I haven`t done this yet... and am guilty of not doing this... but I will start with my next C`N`B.)

`

If you are short on time in posting...

-A sentence about the vehicle, color name, miles on car, and the general process (i.e.- one-step, two-step, etc...)

-5 photos? (A couple before shots, a 50/50, and a couple afters)

-I think Scottwax has a good format for this...

`

`

I haven`t been `here` long enough and I haven`t been detailing long enough to speak with any sort of authority, so take my words with some salt.

`

I appreciate the hobbyist, the part-timer, the professional, and the elites posting and all sharing their work. `C`N`Bs are always going to be subjective... that`s human nature. `The format, the content, the pictures are subjective on the author`s end... and subjective, on my end, when I view it. `However, at this point in the game (for me anyway) I`m learning from every post. ` Depending on the information shared... I also find it interesting on the `mindset` of the author and how they go about troubleshooting in the products/ tools they used. `But I have NO QUALM with folks NOT SHARING every bit and piece.

`

I am always somewhat hesitant to post C`N`Bs because I feel like... well, "I`m watering down the quality" of the work presented on this site. `But, I pushing past my reservations because C`N`Bs are a learning/ feedback tool for me and everyone has to start somewhere. `

`

`
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">`
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">`But, if someone is looking for assistance, they can call me and speak with me. I have made myself available for anyone to call and have a few folks I mentor from west and east coasts and then others I just plain speak business`with(Eric....are you there???).`Then again, I have someone that mentors me just the same as I do for others. His approach has not been to give away everything for everyone. His approach has been to think big-picture for his best interest and yet still help the community where he can.
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">`

`

`

`

`
    </blockquote>

`

Now, I may be getting off topic... but I give credit where credit is due.

`

I like what Jean-Claude had to say in his prior post but this quote really is apparent to me.

`

This man, who produces quality work at a scale my work doesn`t even register... provides an ear for me to bounce ideas off of, a voice of experience to help me craft what the future could possibly hold, and an genuine and amiable care for what`s going on in my world. `Get this... HE CALLS ME to see how things are going. `Who does that? ` Think about it... his helper(s) has more skill than I do... and the guy takes time out of his day, almost weekly to call to get an update on my stuff. `I`m amazed and honored.

`

So, even if someone isn`t posting every particular about their products/ method/ blah, blah, blah... know, they ARE giving back in many fashions... sometimes, it just isn`t as easily seen.
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally understand how *certain* things are trade secret and people reserve the right to keep them to themselves, but this (to me) isn`t that big of a deal. So many variables with detailing that it`s not like someone will duplicate your exact outcome anyways. And it they did, there has to be other things that set you apart from them too. `I remember (and still enjoy) the days where people fully disclosed their products and process. Heck, even right down to how many passes and what speed they used. It`s all about sharing of information *to me*, and I personally prefer to offer as much advice as I can. Heck, what would we all be doing it Kevin Brown never shared his methods with the world????

Post Thanks / Like

David, it`s a different plight for those of us not associated or benefitting from the sales of products. The process and results they bring are a big selling point.

I`ve seen a paradigm shift in those who benefit from the sales of products vs those of us just doing the labor. That`<u>is not</u> a knock on ANYONE. I am very happy for everyone making coin selling products locally and/or nationally/internationally. But the bottom line is, the sharing of information on products can improve those individual`s investments.`

`

I do agree that there is more than`just the products used and methods. But those items are a facet just the same as good communication with the client or knowledge of different methods, ect., ect. It all adds up to potentially make something special and different. We all share where we feel comfortable to.

`

I honestly do not know. Was KB selling or associated with any product line when the KBM was released? He is now but that doesn`t mean he was a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Claude

David, it`s a different plight for those of us not associated or benefitting from the sales of products.`

Not sure if you`re referring to me and my relationship with 3D/HD, but I`ve been giving full disclosure since I have been a part of Autopia in 2004. Just recently did I take on a greater role with 3D/HD, but still promote and support many other products too.`

`

Affiliation or not, it boils down to what is important to someone. What is to 1 person might not be to the next.`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Not sure if you`re referring to me and my relationship with 3D/HD, but I`ve been giving full disclosure since I have been a part of Autopia in 2004. Just recently did I take on a greater role with 3D/HD, but still promote and support many other products too.`

`

Affiliation or not, it boils down to what is important to someone. What is to 1 person might not be to the next.`

`

There is no motive behind what I said David. Since I knew of you/your work I`ve referred literally countless people your way when you were in Florida. There`s nothing to take personal.

It has nothing to do with you. I am talking about the subject matter. Point blank, anyone benefitting from the sales of products are going to be more prone to educating different ways of using those products. They would be idiots to invest time/energy/money into products and then keep them secret. For the guys who do not, they are going to be more prone to not sharing methods because it`s a different business model.

`

I`ve proved that I will share a lot of hard earned information and lessons with guys that need it and it`s not in the form of a 20 second paragraph. I don`t feel the need to open up my personal methods for just anyone to use as they wish and there are others that feel the same way. As our industry evolves people and their businesses will go in all different directions. Some will be happy to share everything they know and some will not. I and others, will not.

`

My C&Bs will be pictorials and I will continue to share info in the business forum and car detailing forum.

`

*btw, no malice or nastiness is being inferred. This appears to be a sensitive subject and it may be easy to read something that isn`t there.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, nothing personal at all. Just a friendly discussion. Like I said, everyone does things differently. There`s no right or wrong way. And I really appreciate the referrals!!!! Now don`t forget I`m now in Michigan!!!`

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information