Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready Episode 4

I just finished watching my recorded Competition Ready Episode 4 and well it was bad. Probably less than 5 minutes of detailing in the whole show. This jump in the van and drive to California for a detail in less than 24 hours is stupid. I don`t like to use the word stupid about anything, but the word fits. There was nothing good about the show. No close ups of the defects or defect removal, nothing. The main project on this car was taping off the wheels, wow. I don`t know why they chose not to use a wax (not sure Sonax makes one), but a wax would have been most detailers choice on a show car. Oh well, there is no way to go but up from this episode. Pitiful.
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready Episode 4

what do they spend all the time on? plugging sponsors?

taping off the wheels- lol

takes a pro to show u that - lol

glad I don`t have cable for that one at least

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you. The concept for the show is good but the execution is not there. It`s like a mini overhaulin episode. Not enough "detail" so to speak. If there is a second season I hope they revamp the show.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I think the people here don`t recognize this show is not geared towards AG residents. The show is geared toward people who don`t do this professionally or as a hobby. It`s a car show on a car show channel.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No one noticed the new forced rotation flex

If you watch the show like a paid ad tv show, then it makes more sense. I like seeing Mike and gang in the spotlight, but the truck was pretty much spotless already. I would use their paint guy way before I used the paint guy from the first show lol.

Post Thanks / Like

The show was just bad from any perspective. It did not show how the car was built or detailed. After the show was over it left me wondering what was the purpose of the whole thing. If appealing to the people that buy the products used, it missed there. If entertainment was the goal, the shot was way wide right. It`s like someone is trying hard to make the show bad. Why do they have to use the sponsors items? Aren`t the commercials during the show supposed to pay the bills? Just run a 30 minute infomercial.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m just having trouble forming an opinion. I think they need to go to an hour, go the way of overhaulin. A little more how and why maybe? What amazes me is for all the money in those cars, is they look as a friend says like ass!
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched episode 4. Even less actual detailing than the last ones! The show is not getting any better...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the velocity shows for the most part, some are better than others. I really wanted to like competition ready, but my interest is waning. The idea of a detailing show is a good one, and I believe the popularity of our hobby/profession/obsession seems to be growing as people are hanging on to cars longer and new cars are getting harder if not impossible to work on for the enthusiast. These factors got me into detailing as a hobby about 10 years ago.

There is a balance between pure superficial entertainment and a more hard core technical approach, but It`s an advertiser driven show and this show is missing the mark. It seems to me that a more educational and informative format couldn`t help but sell products. There are tons of car guys out there who come watch this channel who may not know anything beyond basic washing and slathering on armor all and turtle wax, who would easily be turned on to purchasing more prosumer products if they had a good basic introduction to products and processes. For example, clay was mentioned in an earlier episode but no real information on how to use it (clay lube, etc), or even something as basic as why microfiber towels should be used instead of the cotton ones. How many 7424`s or gg6`s and polishes could be sold if there was a basic intro out there of how and why to use it, and providing some reassurance that even a newbie won`t burn up his paint with one. In the last two episodes Mike was showing a flex Kompact; is that something that a non-detailer should or would be buying?
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. If we are losing interest then the show is failing. I know they have already filmed this years shows and it is too late to change anything, but I wonder why Mike didn`t say something? Mike teaches classes and all levels of detailers show up. Hell, a show based on his detailing classes would be so much better. I don`t want to put the blame on Mike, but he IS the "star" of the show!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I agree. If we are losing interest then the show is failing. I know they have already filmed this years shows and it is too late to change anything, but I wonder why Mike didn`t say something? Mike teaches classes and all levels of detailers show up. Hell, a show based on his detailing classes would be so much better. I don`t want to put the blame on Mike, but he IS the "star" of the show!
    I don`t know if he said anything or not, but even if he did, he`s not the one paying for the show so he probably doesn`t have the biggest say in it sadly

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, had very high hopes for the show and it has been a disappointment. The end product we see is more a result of the editor`s ideas than the producers. For a short half hour show, the dialog with Bob uses up too much valuable time. Let`s set up the scenario quickly and get to work. There`s probably hours of good instruction in the raw footage, but it`s left on the "cutting room floor". I don`t mind having an episode sponsored by a single vendor, as somebody has to pay the bills. We tend to be product junkies, but many vendors have a product line comprehensive enough to do a car start to finish with the right equipment in the right hands.
    The entire season is probably completed already, but I hope there is enough interest for another season, so that the show can improve. It was mentioned in another thread that Wheeler Dealers sets a good example of striking a balance between hands-on instruction and entertainment and it`s been broadcast for about 12 seasons.
    I hope that the show succeeds, but it`s gonna take some improvement, IMO.

Bill

Thread Information