Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Competition Ready Episode Three

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the third installment of Completion Ready. It was much better than the second show, but still could use some improvements (couldn`t we all?). I liked that they tackled one car, but I wish they could have shown more of the rinse less wash and the defects left after said wash. The 50/50 shot from episode 2 could have been used again. I liked that they went through most of the steps of a proper detail job. I wanted to know what they used and how it was used on all of that plastic and rubber trim. I noticed they skipped the engine bay, I imagine it was pretty bad after sitting all those years. Mike was less nervous and there was less A.J. I know they think they need a pretty face, but A.J. is just fluff and looks awkward. The show had some real meat to it, showing techniques for taping off sharp lines and removing wax, I hope to see more of this type of a show. It shows people that have never touched a buffer that there is more to detailing than just throwing some Turtle Wax on your car and admiring it. Kudos to AG on their commercial too, it was the most professional looking one to date and Mike actually looked like he enjoyed it. I know they have already completed this season and I`m sure they learned a lot along the way. I am looking forward to episode four.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready Episode Three

It was an ok episode. I have actually lost a little interest in the show already.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes pwaug, Stokdgs, tropicsteve, white97 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s still a little too fluffy for me. I want it to be longer, more meaty(but not super technical, it has to appeal to normal people too), and no AJ. She just gets in the way(unpopular opinion time: I don`t think she is quite as pretty as everyone seems to say)
    I don`t think they will get a second season unless they change the format and make it more real

Post Thanks / Like

I`m watching "Wheeler Dealers" right now on Velocity. Wheeler Dealers has a perfect blend of technical hands on wrenching and good entertainment value. I think Mike Phillips is a great orator/teacher and is very easy to watch and understand during his regular AG videos. I think Mike would be better suited working with a smaller group of detailers (2-3 max). The show needs to be an hour long and lose the fluff as others have said. It is not realistic to believe these details are all last minute projects.

Take a 5 minute segment each week and show a tour of the Flex, Rupes, Meguiar`s, products/factory. I`m sure those sponsors would hate the extra coverage. Who doesn`t like factory tours

I like the show it just needs to be refined a bit. This last episode "Russo and Steele 84 Black Porsche Turbo" was the best episode so far.

Totally a meaningless thing I have noticed. Bob McKee needs to lose the Papermate pens and get himself a decent pen. I`m not talking Mont Blanc, even something as inexpensive as a Parker Jotter ~$5.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post
    It`s still a little too fluffy for me. I want it to be longer, more meaty(but not super technical, it has to appeal to normal people too), and no AJ. She just gets in the way(unpopular opinion time: I don`t think she is quite as pretty as everyone seems to say)
    I don`t think they will get a second season unless they change the format and make it more real
    100% on point (imho). I`m bored with the format of the show already.

1. Car industry big shot needs a detail on an "important" vehicle(s).

2. They call Bob McKee (because let`s face it, if you needed a special car detailed that`s who you`d call too right?). There is only very limited time to get the job done.

3. Bob gets Mike Phillips (who we all know is the best part of this show) and his team of "experts" to load up the van and get to the special car(s) with just a few hours to make the magic happen.

4. AJ "explains" (after asking Mike) what the team will be doing and adds absolutely nothing to the true content of the show.

5. Miraculously the work is completed on time and the special car(s) look awesome.

Needs to evolve into something more interesting or I won`t watch any more.

Seems more like an experiment in how to merge marketing with an attempt at entertainment.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes ViperGuy21, Migue, tropicsteve liked this post
    Thanks ViperGuy21 thanked for this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer..." I hope the show is successful.

Let`s face it there is much much worse junk on TV!
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will continue to watch, but I won`t anticipate it much anymore. I think they missed a great opportunity. Hopefully they can revamp it if they get a chance at a second season

Post Thanks / Like

Episode 3 was better than 1 or 2 let`s hope they keep improving. I also think the choice of car is important. Why did they go with a $75k Porsche? They had million dollar cars on episode 2. Somewhere in the middle is probably right. Do one "important" car per episode.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see them focus more on the process and the product for that matter and less time on the story line of got to have it done in an almost unrealistic time frame. I think they could highlight or spotlight premier products and easily give products/manufacturers the exposure needed to help fund such an expensive endeavor.

What I`ve seen to this point is kind of the Superman rushes in to save the world before it explodes storyline. I don`t like the American Hot Rod type shows, really didn`t like Boyd Cottington`s show. Though Competition Ready doesn`t have any of the abusive aspects of this example, I still get the same feeling of the impossible being done in no time whatsoever. I`d rather see the impossible part be saving the paint or interior for that matter as opposed to get it done in 5 hour mindset. As much as I like to see mega buck cars, I`d also like to see this work be done on cars the average guy might have in his collection. $50K - $60K are many folks dream cars and that`s what they`re taking to the competiton. Mike is as good as anyone in the business at making paint shine and saving the near unsavable paint. I`d like to see the focus shift this direction as opposed to got to get it to the show on time theme.

Competition Ready in my opinon has been more of what Foose does, the impossible being done in a totally harmonious environment but I don`t see the need for the intense pressure on impossible deadlines (even though this is very real world for guys in demand). I`d rather see the intense pressure being on saving what didn`t seem possible. Some of my very favorite automotive shows these days have subject matter that takes several episodes or more to complete but you get to see each aspect of a build in some detail (play on words there). Think Detroit Muscle or Engine Power here. On a side note, I don`t think the girl in the role she plays adds value to the show. I`m not putting down the pretty face but I don`t think it`s needed, she basically restates what has been said. There are plenty of qualified female Detailers out there that can add what the show seems to want in this role by just seeing their work and how they do it.

Okay, enough said by this guy that doesn`t have a clue in what it takes to make a successful TV show. I really do wish Competiton Ready the best. I feel like watching this show is like watching part of the family. I think this side of the industry begs to be seen and the demand is there, I really want it to be successful.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I would love to see them focus more on the process and the product for that matter and less time on the story line of got to have it done in an almost unrealistic time frame. I think they could highlight or spotlight premier products and easily give products/manufacturers the exposure needed to help fund such an expensive endeavor.

What I`ve seen to this point is kind of the Superman rushes in to save the world before it explodes storyline. I don`t like the American Hot Rod type shows, really didn`t like Boyd Cottington`s show. Though Competition Ready doesn`t have any of the abusive aspects of this example, I still get the same feeling of the impossible being done in no time whatsoever. I`d rather see the impossible part be saving the paint or interior for that matter as opposed to get it done in 5 hour mindset. As much as I like to see mega buck cars, I`d also like to see this work be done on cars the average guy might have in his collection. $50K - $60K are many folks dream cars and that`s what they`re taking to the competiton. Mike is as good as anyone in the business at making paint shine and saving the near unsavable paint. I`d like to see the focus shift this direction as opposed to got to get it to the show on time theme.

Competition Ready in my opinon has been more of what Foose does, the impossible being done in a totally harmonious environment but I don`t see the need for the intense pressure on impossible deadlines (even though this is very real world for guys in demand). I`d rather see the intense pressure being on saving what didn`t seem possible. Some of my very favorite automotive shows these days have subject matter that takes several episodes or more to complete but you get to see each aspect of a build in some detail (play on words there). Think Detroit Muscle or Engine Power here. On a side note, I don`t think the girl in the role she plays adds value to the show. I`m not putting down the pretty face but I don`t think it`s needed, she basically restates what has been said. There are plenty of qualified female Detailers out there that can add what the show seems to want in this role by just seeing their work and how they do it.

Okay, enough said by this guy that doesn`t have a clue in what it takes to make a successful TV show. I really do wish Competiton Ready the best. I feel like watching this show is like watching part of the family. I think this side of the industry begs to be seen and the demand is there, I really want it to be successful.
    I agree with this! The focus should be on what the show is about, right? They obviously can`t make it too technical, but they aren`t going to get any `normal` person interested in detailing with the current format IMHO. There`s no meat to the show right now. I hope it succeeds, but realistically I don`t think it will at this moment in time.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like the show is really related to counting cars. They focus on other things rather than the main point. What the main point should be is only a small feature to the show. I understand they want normal people to watch the show but how I see it if you don`t like the featured vehicle the show drags on. I still record it and watch it but it really does not excite me to watch. I hope it does get better though, I feel a better costar would really help AJ seems like just a person for the camera. How I personaly view it I dont car if there doing a 90s accord or a 70s chevelle I want to see the process to restore the paint and detail all the nooks and crannys I don`t care what the car is.

Post Thanks / Like

A.J. is married to one of the executives on the Velocity channel that is why she is on the show.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So far everyone is in agreement to drop A.J.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone suggesting Detail Kitty (from AGO) could replace AJ?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno. When u guys were talking about AJ - I thought u meant the Junkman. Lolz.

Where can I watch this show? Prolly a channel I don`t get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information