The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Service work and today`s economy?

Something that I have noticed recently is the reported need for service/maintenance of vehicles when they are in for a normal oil/filter/lube.
    Two Honda CR-Vs serviced at the same dealer service department for several years.
    A 1999 that has been serviced by the same dealer since new and for the past 30 months for us.
    A 2000 that has been serviced at that dealership for the 26 months we have owned it.
    The past two service appointments recommended items that needed attention that totaled close to $3,000 for each vehicle.
    It seemed interesting that both vehicles fell apart at about the same time.
    Also interesting that we have GM vehicles that old and older, (1981, 1998, 2000) that haven`t needed all those things done. Is the famous Honda reliability somewhat of a myth or do I have a dealer that is looking for a way to increase his service volume.
    Both vehicles will be checked by an independent mechanic, (The one that takes care of my unreliable GM stuff ), to see just what if anything, is happening to those two cars.
    Maybe I have been using the wrong dealer to take care of them.
    In looking over the service records for the 1999 CR-V, I see where it has had 8 four wheel alignments in its lifetime, the most recent being January 9, 2009. They told my granddaughter it needed another one yesterday. I told her to pay the bill for what had been done and get out of there. I`m sure they would never take advantage of a 19 year old girl would they? When she told them that I told her to just get out of there, they started making excuses. She told them it wasn`t her that was upset, it was her grandfather and they probably didn`t want to talk to him right then. She got that right.

FWIW, the 2000 is also driven by a female, my daughter, and I`m sure they wouldn`t take advantage of her either.
    Last edited by CharlesW; 05-20-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Charles

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Service work and today`s economy?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    ...Is the famous Honda reliability somewhat of a myth or do I have a dealer that is looking for a way to increase his service volume.
    Yes, and yes.

While the Honda product may be reliable, they are not the perfect automaker some try to make them out (if he`s lurking about, the Lexus isn`t perfect either).

And yes, I think some of the dealerships will try to prop up their lagging new/used car sales profits with additional services from their service department. I just had the strut mount bushings replaced at 70k miles on the Wife`s NB. I thought that was probably premature, but I authorized the service anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I have known many people to have this happen to them at Honda,they are crooked plain and simple.Was even admitted to me by a friend of mine who used to work at one.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a Doctors AMG from dealer (some refuse independent foriegn technichans.More money than sense) for just a oil change, wipers chg. brake fluid,(not brake pads) & tire rotation cost $1`200.00 to rotate & balance alone was $120+tax GOOD GRIEF!!! I know tha dealer has always been a little higher than independents BUT...While I was at dealer saw old friend, said sales were near non-existance. w/tons on lot. Also something I wasn`t aware of in TENN. tha dealer has to pay some kinda tax (I forget) on every car that sits on lot each month.If your moving cars no big deal but if not...so I am sure they are making up 4 losses anyway possible(service dept.) 2 survive. just a thought thats all

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the saying is "Know your car, or know your mechanic." If you don`t know cars, you really need to know you have a trustworthy and competent mechanic. There are many stories of mechanics at bigger dealerships and chains being paid on commission and thus add unnecessary repairs (or even more worrisome-damaging some part so as to require extra repairs to be done). But there are also independents that are reportedly doing the same, so it`s important to have a good relationship with someone reliable.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Both vehicles will be checked by an independent mechanic, (The one that takes care of my unreliable GM stuff ), to see just what if anything, is happening to those two cars.

This is a good decision the Honda Stealership saw the girl as a easy mark.

Typically parts and repairs for imports cost much more than for a Chevy or Ford but it sounds like her car suddenly needs a lot of repairs.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a follow-up.
    The 1999 that needed close to $3,000 worth of work was given a thorough inspection and my mechanic recommended $380 worth of work to put the vehicle in good condition. That did include another 4 wheel alignment which truly was needed. That leads me to believe the one it received in January, 2009 might have been less than great.
    He did say that while it wasn`t quite due, the timing belt/water pump change would be coming up in about 10,000 miles and the dealer did have $800 for that included in their estimate. His estimate, using Honda parts was $600. He also said that it was very common to find a leaky seals on the camshafts and the crankshaft that would add about $100 if it was needed.
    So the $3,000 became a possible $1200.
    It was interesting in that he did say that none of the work the dealer suggested was really out of line in price and the service recommendations were something that could be done. He just felt that some of it was not necessary on a 10 year old car unless you were trying to make it new again.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Part of it is the higher cost of parts and "service" for the import vehicle segment. Another part is (and I think you`re independent mechaninc answered this one) the stealership taking advantage.

I`ve seen way too many accords and Civics with 500K+ miles on them by people who don`t take care of them to say that the Honda reliability is a myth. It may be overblown (as I think the domestic cars un-reliability may be overblown), but I don`t think it`s a myth. Too much proof out there to refute.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems the higher cost was due to dealers charging more in labor then an independent shop. A dealer has much more overhead then an independent shop. When I was at BMW our labor rate was up tp $135 an hour here in NC, TN was $125 when I left in 07 and FL was $140 when I left in 06. A lot of independent shops get their parts from the dealer with wholesale prices some do not add anything to the parts price to you others add a small percentage. With the wheel alignment, Im sure then one in Jan was just fine, there are a lot of things that can effect your alignement and that is one reason they are not covered under any warranty.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I work with a guy that had 4 wheel allignments done within a year.

Yes, he needed them. He didn`t think anything of hopping curbs on U-turns and such and thought the garage was just telling him he needed the work done. Ugh.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post

Yes, he needed them. He didn`t think anything of hopping curbs on U-turns and such and thought the garage was just telling him he needed the work done. Ugh.

my wife seems to aim at the pot holes that`s why she doesn`t drive with me in the car
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Part of it is the higher cost of parts and "service" for the import vehicle segment. Another part is (and I think you`re independent mechaninc answered this one) the stealership taking advantage.

I`ve seen way too many accords and Civics with 500K+ miles on them by people who don`t take care of them to say that the Honda reliability is a myth. It may be overblown (as I think the domestic cars un-reliability may be overblown), but I don`t think it`s a myth. Too much proof out there to refute.
    Quote Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
    Seems the higher cost was due to dealers charging more in labor then an independent shop. A dealer has much more overhead then an independent shop. When I was at BMW our labor rate was up tp $135 an hour here in NC, TN was $125 when I left in 07 and FL was $140 when I left in 06. A lot of independent shops get their parts from the dealer with wholesale prices some do not add anything to the parts price to you others add a small percentage. With the wheel alignment, Im sure then one in Jan was just fine, there are a lot of things that can effect your alignement and that is one reason they are not covered under any warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr View Post

The majority of the cost difference in my case was the fact that my mechanic felt that only 4 of the recommended 15 repairs were truly needed at this time.

As far as the 4 wheel alignments, 8 in less than 10 years seems a little like overkill.
    Our 2000 Pontiac GTP, (Now a collector car), has had none in one less year of driving the same basic streets. It has been checked twice, but no adjustments were felt necessary.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Our Accord has had one alignment in 5 years. This was the first yr I put any money in the car besides oil changes and tires. We did timing belt, water pump, belts, battery (orignal 10 yr old battery), front pads and rotors and new caliper seals. Thank God my old dealer owned Honda and I still managed to get my employee discounts.

Thread Information