Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Undercarriage protection?

A friend of mine simply sprays the entire underside of the vehicle with chain saw oil. It`s thick enough to stick, but you need a special siphon sprayer though. It may greatly limit the spread of the rust you`re seeing. I would peruse the Eastwood site. I used this stuff called Corroless by them on my 1994 Ranger, and everything was stll pristine by the time I got rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CARTfan View Post
    A friend of mine simply sprays the entire underside of the vehicle with chain saw oil. It`s thick enough to stick, but you need a special siphon sprayer though. It may greatly limit the spread of the rust you`re seeing. I would peruse the Eastwood site. I used this stuff called Corroless by them on my 1994 Ranger, and everything was stll pristine by the time I got rid of it.
    Spraying oil will help prevent rust but it will also collect dirt making a real mess.
    Their are several band-aid fixes but the only real cure is clean down to bare metal and prime with something like red oxide primer and then paint to seal and prevent future rust.

Post Thanks / Like

^ You`re right. It does look downright awful, but no rust. lol I dunno though... the Corroless made it through many winters on my Ranger with absolutely no sign of rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    When replacing the brake pads and rotating the tires on our 2000 Grand Prix, the rust on the undercarriage was quite noticeable. Not really any worse than it has been on several other vehicles, but it bothered me.
    Probably pretty normal for a car 8+ years old with 65,000 miles on it.
    The car is probably good for 200,000 miles and we only drive it about 8,000 miles a year so it`s possible we might own it another 10 or 15 years.
    The deciding factor for my changing vehicles is usually when:
    1. I see something I think I have to have.
    2. The vehicle we are driving starts showing rust.
    Emphasis on #1.
    #2 is automatic. Rust shows up, it`s fixed and the vehicle is gone.
    In the 8+ years, I haven`t been interested in anything else so the GP could have an extended stay.

To the point:
    Anyone have any ideas or experience with something to use to help reduce the rust on the undercarriage?
    I spray it off with both the hose and a pressure washer regularly during the warmer months. During the winter, I periodically go through a drive-thru wash that does an underbody spray. Hopefully, that helps remove some of the road salt, but.....
    There might be something I can spray on that would help. I`m not looking for something to dress it up for show. I want to stop as much of the corrosion as I can.
    Do you have access to a lift? You can spray the under carriage with PB Blast or equivalent. I do my truck at every oil change.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maknmony View Post
    Do you have access to a lift?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Maknmony
    You can spray the under carriage with PB Blast or equivalent. I do my truck at every oil change.
    What is PB Blast?
    (I`ll Google it in a minute.)
    Found it. I`ll do some research on it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

No.

What is PB Blast?
    I"m never without PB Blaster it is the best penetrating oil I have found.
    Never thought about using it for undercarriage it is very thin how long would it last I would think driving in the rain would wash it off.

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.
    Actually, what I saw that bothered me was mostly suspension parts and springs. The GP is unibody and doesn`t have a frame as such, but it has a lot of supports under the body that hold things together. Rear axle, trailing arms, A frames in the front.
    Chances are that the body will show rust long before any of those parts actually fail, but they do show some rust.

I hesitate to use any type of abrasive to clean the areas since I might remove enough paint from the painted parts to cause more problem than my efforts would cause good.

Maybe spraying some good old STP on everything would work.
    Heck, maybe even some motor oil or a liquid grease would stick for a few months.
    The tar like stuff that is available doesn`t seem like anything I would want to use.

Sheesh if I`m worrying about this kind of stuff already, it`s going to be a looooong winter.
    Charles,

I know its a forbidden practice but long ago before my time the old timers used motor oil.You can also get a can of body schutz,or a can of the spray on bed liner at napa.

The oil treatment is a messy way to go and it must be done somewhere that it will soak up "dirt area".Spray the underside and fender wells and let it run off.Then drive down a dusty road and seal it up.Many old cars were done this way and years later you could still see the oil seeping out of some crevices.I know now green is in but iit works well but the oil and dirt makes for a messy underside.I would say you would be at the powerwash car wash for a while getting the dirty mess off.Total rust protection with a mess after...Every thing has a draw back right.

The second and somewhat cleaner way is this.

The body schutz or bed liner product is a great way to give color and durability to the undercarriage.It sprays on with a gun and drys hard and covers well.The cost per gallon is not that bad either.

Covering after a wire brush is a good way to go.You could sandblast and then cover but that is another messy job.

Just wanted to share some methods used around here...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njcarting1 View Post
    Charles,

I know its a forbidden practice but long ago before my time the old timers used motor oil.You can also get a can of body schutz,or a can of the spray on bed liner at napa.

The oil treatment is a messy way to go and it must be done somewhere that it will soak up "dirt area".Spray the underside and fender wells and let it run off.Then drive down a dusty road and seal it up.Many old cars were done this way and years later you could still see the oil seeping out of some crevices.I know now green is in but iit works well but the oil and dirt makes for a messy underside.I would say you would be at the powerwash car wash for a while getting the dirty mess off.Total rust protection with a mess after...Every thing has a draw back right.

The second and somewhat cleaner way is this.

The body schutz or bed liner product is a great way to give color and durability to the undercarriage.It sprays on with a gun and drys hard and covers well.The cost per gallon is not that bad either.

Covering after a wire brush is a good way to go.You could sandblast and then cover but that is another messy job.

Just wanted to share some methods used around here...
    I like that idea. If the bedliner will stick to a rusty surface it would leave a durable covering.
    I have used the spray can undercoating and it works well if you redo it every 2 years.

Pressure Washing Mafia Squirtgun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No.

What is PB Blast?
    While you`re looking at PB Blaster take a look at Flluid Film.Lawn care guys use it to keep grass from building up under the mower decks.I use it on our pressure washing rig to slow down the rust on hose reels,bolts etc.
    Karvonen`s Pro Clean
    Southwest,Ga.
    Pressure Washers Mafia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtgun View Post
    While you`re looking at PB Blaster take a look at Flluid Film.Lawn care guys use it to keep grass from building up under the mower decks.I use it on our pressure washing rig to slow down the rust on hose reels,bolts etc.
    I`m a big fan of Fluid Film in a variety of applications. It works well at keeping the chute on a snow-blower slippery. I also like it on firearms. It is a heavy bodied aerosol and tends to stay put. That said, I don`t think I would use it on the underside of a car. It`s too greasy.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I`m a big fan of Fluid Film in a variety of applications. It works well at keeping the chute on a snow-blower slippery. I also like it on firearms. It is a heavy bodied aerosol and tends to stay put. That said, I don`t think I would use it on the underside of a car. It`s too greasy.
    That`s the problem with anything with oil base its greasy.We all know oily products draw in dust and look like heck afterwards.That`s like using armor all on tires and wells,there are better cleaner options available.

Clean the underside and spray with the bed liner and walk away.Another spray can product Charles is HAMMERED PAINT.The stuff goes over rust and sticks quite well.I use this stuff religiously on the undercarriage.It will flake off if you don`t wire brush the flakier stuff.The cost is 7-8 bucks per can and works well.We have salt,sand,rocks and the like here at least 6 months a year to contend with.It just needs a touch up every spring and fall...

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I"m retired and I"m home a lot more my vehicles don`t wear out they rust out
    Combating rust is a Major problem.

When I spray the underside with undercoating I wear paper throw-away overalls that they sell for painting because that stuff will settle down all over you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information