Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk diesel trucks

Anybody here have (or had) a diesel truck?

What do you drive (or have driven)?

Likes/dislikes?

Regrets/wishes?
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk diesel trucks

Im a big fan of the older Ford trucks with the 7.3 engine. If your looking to buy, most people dont want to go that old, but IMO they are the best trucks on the road. I prefer the older diesels over the post 08 trucks with emissions. In fact, clean, rust free, stock Fords with the 7.3 can sell as much as Fords with the 6.4 diesel that was put in 2008-2010. Pretty well any clean, pre emssion diesel will sell for crazy money now days. The 6.0 Ford doesn`t sell quite as hot because of there known problems.

Dodge had the 5.9 diesel for a number of years. Great engine, but the trucks are not the same quality as Ford or GM. Dodge automatic transmissions are known for being junk also.

Chevy trucks with the Duramax are pretty good. The biggest problem with those would be injectors, and they can be really expensive to properly fix. They also probably drive the nicest... A more soft ride, which some prefer, but me when I drive a truck, I want it to feel like a truck.

If your looking to buy an older truck, the biggest thing you want to check for is rust. NEVER buy a truck without looking underneath. That is the biggest thing that gets covered up by dealers these days. They love to spray black goop on the underside to (try) cover it up. Most people dont look under trucks before they buy them, and if they do, they dont know what they are looking at.
    Likes House of Wax, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I owned a `03.5 F250 6.0. before my Saleen. I bought it with around 80,000 miles on it and sold it around 160,000. It was the biggest piece of junk and I will never own another. The 6.0 is notorious for EGR problems, heads lifting, injector issues, and a number of other things. It looked good and was extremely quick for a large truck. I loved the sound of the turbo spool too. But I will never own another one unless it is a 90`s model 7.3 single cab.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes House of Wax, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rolling Coal!
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We run large diesel mack trucks and have a 2000 gallon fuel tank on site, I had the option of getting a diesel work truck for my self and opted for Gasser. I would say unless you need the massive pulling power of a diesel go gas. Diesel has is place in large (Class 6-7-8...) trucks and for towing trailers for landscapers or contractors with bob cats small excavators and other stuff... in 3500`s even towing large campers or boats if you can afford it. But they are expensive as hell to fix engine+after treatment even just ordinary parts are $$$$$ as it is built to handle the massive loads these new 3500 trucks are spec`ed for, seems like every thing starts at a grand and most are 3-5K. Even the new smaller diesel trucks the Colorado or Dodge 1500 the repairs for the engine and after treatment systems are just to expensive for me rather the ease of gas.
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Throwback to 2009. First picture was right after the lift and new tires. Second pic was the following weekend in Biloxi, MS.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Man that thing looks awesome.
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    We run large diesel mack trucks and have a 2000 gallon fuel tank on site, I had the option of getting a diesel work truck for my self and opted for Gasser. I would say unless you need the massive pulling power of a diesel go gas. Diesel has is place in large (Class 6-7-8...) trucks and for towing trailers for landscapers or contractors with bob cats small excavators and other stuff... in 3500`s even towing large campers or boats if you can afford it. But they are expensive as hell to fix engine+after treatment even just ordinary parts are $$$$$ as it is built to handle the massive loads these new 3500 trucks are spec`ed for, seems like every thing starts at a grand and most are 3-5K. Even the new smaller diesel trucks the Colorado or Dodge 1500 the repairs for the engine and after treatment systems are just to expensive for me rather the ease of gas.
    Expensive for sure. That is the main reason I don`t have another one. I just can`t afford a $1000 repair every time something goes wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Man that thing looks awesome.
    Thanks! I miss the truck sometimes. Until I think about some of the repair bills. lol

Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m in the early stages of researching some trucks. I miss having mine and have been thinking about selling my GTO and getting back into a truck. My budget puts me in about a mid 2000`s model. We`re looking at possibly getting a travel trailer sometime in the next couple of years, so I`ve been looking at 3/4 ton trucks....I`ve always loved the look of the F-250`s.

The 5.4 v8 is a nice motor (we have an expedition with that motor), but I gotta think it`d be a bit of a dog for a truck like that. Finding a v10 model in the truck configuration I want appears as though it`s going to be quite difficult. And then there`s the notorious 6.0......from what I gather it`s a complete crap shoot what your gonna get stock, but after a few mods it can be a good motor.

I`m open to a GM or Dodge, but depending on where you`re reading it seems like their diesels in thay year range have their own issues that don`t make them that much better.

Post Thanks / Like

The 7.3 is the best motor ever made, and the 6.0 and 6.4 is possibly the worst. My pals 6.7 blew the motor last year on his 2012 and they had to remove the cab to do the motor. Probably a 20k engine replacement. No thanks.

The cummins is the best diesel on the road right now with the aisn tranny its a beast.

I purchased a new 3500 but went gas. The oil pans still rots out, and all repairs are 3x more then a gasser. There is no savings in the diesel anymore, thanks Obama.
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I`m in the early stages of researching some trucks. I miss having mine and have been thinking about selling my GTO and getting back into a truck. My budget puts me in about a mid 2000`s model. We`re looking at possibly getting a travel trailer sometime in the next couple of years, so I`ve been looking at 3/4 ton trucks....I`ve always loved the look of the F-250`s.

The 5.4 v8 is a nice motor (we have an expedition with that motor), but I gotta think it`d be a bit of a dog for a truck like that. Finding a v10 model in the truck configuration I want appears as though it`s going to be quite difficult. And then there`s the notorious 6.0......from what I gather it`s a complete crap shoot what your gonna get stock, but after a few mods it can be a good motor.

I`m open to a GM or Dodge, but depending on where you`re reading it seems like their diesels in thay year range have their own issues that don`t make them that much better.
    I have an 03 plow truck with a 5.4 and its a slow piece of crap. Wouldnt mind but it also gets terrible gas mileage. If you can find a 6.0 that has been bulletproofed it will be a good truck, but only if it has been specifically bulletproofed.

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn`t surprise me about your 03. I`m kinda surprised they even offered that motor in a 3/4 ton.

Seems like everyone`s diesel offerings after about 02 need some money thrown at them to make them reliable from what I`m reading. Only drawback to the 7.3 is the rest of the truck around it is getting pretty old....I`ll keep my eyes peeled though.

Thanks for the input guys, keel it coming

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2003 Dodge with the 5.9 It was an amazing motor and fun to play with. As mentioned the tyranny was a weak link until I replaced it with a Goerend Brothers unit. Was cheaper than a replacement from Dodge but with a no questions asked 150k warranty. Much improved mileage and a ton of fun to drive. I would try to avoid the newer EGR models.

Post Thanks / Like

Xxboostin- beautiful looking truck. Doesnt surprise me that you had a lot of problems with it. 2003 and 2004 were the worst years for the 6.0. Although I dont think the later years were to much better.

house of wax. You could also look for a 06-07 Chevy or GMC with what they call the LBZ Duramax. Thats a good truck, good engine that runs real good, and good trans. Just expect to pay a lot for a truck like this because everyone else wants those to. The only problem with a truck like that could be the injectors. I assume a diesel mechanic could hook up to the computer and see if everything looks good. The other way to tell if the injectors are bad is hook the truck to a heavy trailer. It will go into limp mode if they are not good. Injectors will run you approximately $3-5k for these trucks.

if you decide to go with a 6.0, be careful when guys say they are bulletproofed. You dont know what for guy tore the engine apart. Some random guy that doesnt really know what he is doing? I guess request receipts, although you dont know if the mechanic really knew what he was doing either.

if you have some diesel truck mechanics in your area, I would talk to them. See what they recommend, and maybe they have connections for trucks for sale. Or maybe they can go with you if you go to look at trucks? They should know where the problems are, and might have equipment to hook up to the vehicle`s computer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information