Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk diesel trucks

Why do you run a larger filter on the Powerstroke? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Yes and no. Depending on the year and make a lot of accessories are shared between the gassers and diesels (I.e. the alternator on my `97/is the same one they used on most of their gassers). Body, chassis, suspension, etc. components tend to be shared across weight class and are not dependent on engine displacement or fuel type. The engine and the internals do tend to cost more than your average Gasser but that tends to be negated by the longevity of those components vs their gas equivalents. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not saying gas engines are built like crap, its just a different machine.

Diesel engine tend to have thicker components to handle both the higher compression ratios and increased torque (would you run stock pistons,rods, and crank in a 350 SBC with 500 lb.-ft. Of torque?). A diesel engine also revs a lot lower, normally redlining below 4,000 RPM. You`re looking at a redline of 7-8,000 on most gas engines (we`re not talking big blocks here). The higher average RPM obviously creates more wear on components. So, yes, they cost more but they tend to be replaced less often. (Bear in mind this is in my opinion based off my experiences, other experience may vary.)

Now, as far as maintenance, it costs a little bit more. I wouldn`t say triple in all cases though. Speaking of the two I know by heart, my 7.3L takes 16 quarts (I run a larger filter, factory capacity is 14) of diesel rated 15w-40, my Duramax takes 10 qts. Yes, oil for a diesel costs a little more but if you catch sales its not too bad. Filters for both run around $10. All in all, my last oil change on my Dmax cost me about $50 doing the work myself, that`s the same price you`d pay at a shop for a 6-cylinder unless you catch a promo. Glow plugs vs. Spark plugs is almost a moot point anymore with current technology since spark plugs can easily last 100-150k as long as the engine doesn`t experience problems that cause them to prematurely fail. However, I do love not having to worry about plugs, wires, distributors, rotors, coils, or whatever other ignition system its equipped with. My Power stroke needs glow plugs but still starts when it`s cold as long as I plug her in and the Dmax needs 7 of 8 and I know it`ll start down to 20* without being plugged in.

I`ll try to post some links for Ford/6.0L info for you once I get home, House.
    You da man

Post Thanks / Like

So, we`ll start with those links I promised and hope I`m not violating any rules (I don`t think I am, and they`re not competitors, but it`s been a while since I read them so please delete if I do.)

Forums:

Powerstroke.org - I used to post around these boards but haven`t in quite some time. Come to think of it, I don`t even remember my username. Anyway, some real knowledgeable folks on here along with the normal mix of internet hooligans. They do a pretty good job keeping it in order though. (I guess I should say did, no clue to the current state of the site.)
    Powerstroke Nation - Pretty much the same as above but was probably my most preferred Powerstroke forum.
    Diesel Bombers - I never actually registered for this site (I don`t think) but I`ve been a long term lurker. Definitely my favorite all around diesel forum. You can find info on practically any automotive diesel here.

NOTE ABOUT THE FORUMS: Keep in mind these are not professional sites. They`re not extremely vulgar or always NSFW, but it wouldn`t hurt to be wary of who is around while you`re browsing. These are enthusiasts and mechanics and our version of professionalism seems to vary from a lot of fields.

If you want general knowledge about the engines and/or trucks, I find Wikipedia to be pretty useful under most circumstances. I tend to choose forums (which tend to be all over Google search results) over dedicated information sites most of the time.

Site to avoid:

I won`t link to the site because I hate the site that much and do not want to mislead anyone or even give him one more page view. Please avoid Powerstrokehelp.com and all of his YouTube videos. He has some good ones, but for the most part the guy is a clown.

I can try to help you with any questions you have but that`s most of the information I can think of off the top of my head that may be useful. However, I have one huge recommendation (or two) when buying a diesel that, of course, will be long-winded because that`s how I roll.

I know you have your budget, and that`s great when buying anything. First, explore just a little outside of your budget. From my car/truck buying experience, diesels tend to be easier to negotiate prices. They don`t seem to sell as quickly (in most places) which makes them more negotiable on the price. At a lot of dealerships the salesmen/women don`t seem to be as knowledgeable in the diesels and that can lead to awesome deals. I paid less than book value for my wife`s old 2005 that had a 6" lift, 35" tires on 20" rims, a 4" exhaust, a tuner, a $400 intake, and few other odds-and-ends mostly because the salesmen had no clue what he was looking at. (It also probably helped that I am a horrible negotiator, it`s my money, if you don`t make me happy you won`t get it.) Which leads me to my next point, study. Have a pretty good idea what you`re looking at (both factory and aftermarket) and it may help you score a better deal. Just for a reference point, I purchased that 2005 for $5000 less than they were asking, my 2004 for $3,000 less (not as good but they already had it listed for way less than value) and my current 2005 for less than trade-in value with some aftermarket additions, new tires, and some other repairs. I had to deal with/fix some things but I made sure I pointed them out while negotiating to help with the price. I didn`t negotiate the price on the Ford, but I had some horrible credit and I bought it from family. I`m not trying to boast, just trying to show my point that, as long as tactfully handled, knowing more than the salesmen/women can go a long way.

As I`ve said before, diesels are a different machine than a gas engine. I know you`re looking at the `03-`07 Fords and I know you have your budget. Find some others that you like the looks of that are in, or close, to your budget and take them for a spin. A Duramax drives way differently than a Cummins which is also different from a Powerstroke. They`re not like gassers where most people can`t tell the difference between a 5.4L Triton or a 5.3L Vortec from a quick spin.

If any of this sounds condescending or makes you think that I find you a fool I apologize. That`s not the intent, just trying to help you out in an area I`ve seen a lot of people struggle.

Also, find a good diesel shop in your area and take it in if you`re serious about the truck. Most places will do it for around 1 labor hour and it could save you a fortune. I would definitely say this is even more important than when buying a gas vehicle. A good diesel tech is a lot harder to come by so the dealer may not even know if something is really wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    Why do you run a larger filter on the Powerstroke? Thanks
    Figured I`d give it a shot. I normally change the oil in the Stroke between 5,000-10,000 depending on driving conditions. The larger filter gives me two more quarts to dissipate contaminants and a lot more filter media to help last the distance. Honestly, it probably does more for my head than for the vehicle and it probably isn`t worth the $20-$30 more expensive filter. It also looks cool when you look under the truck.
    Last edited by RDKC; 02-13-2016 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Missed a question, didn't want to make a new post.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff man. Oddly enough I had already created accounts on those two forums you recommended and have been doing some reading. Looks to be a great source of info. Thanks for the heads up on powerstrokehelp

Unfortunately I haven`t found squat in my area in my price range. Seems like with my limited budget I`m gonna have to be willing to travel. My next step is to start compiling a list of things to inspect and look for when checking out a truck. From what I`ve been reading it looks like if I pick up a scangauge and hook it up while doing a pretty extensive test drive there`s a lot i can learn about the truck

I`m still kinda on the fence about it all. I definitely miss my truck (impossible to beat the convenience and utility of a pickup, plus I like trucks as a DD), but then I get in my GTO and I think ehhhh, maybe not lol. Plus there`s dealing with selling my car and the process of dealing with car salesmen, and that sounds about as fun as smashing my toes with a hammer.

Thanks again for your insight. It`s greatly appreciated
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any particular reason you preferred Nation over .org?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Unfortunately I haven`t found squat in my area in my price range. Seems like with my limited budget I`m gonna have to be willing to travel. My next step is to start compiling a list of things to inspect and look for when checking out a truck. From what I`ve been reading it looks like if I pick up a scangauge and hook it up while doing a pretty extensive test drive there`s a lot i can learn about the truck

I`m still kinda on the fence about it all. I definitely miss my truck (impossible to beat the convenience and utility of a pickup, plus I like trucks as a DD), but then I get in my GTO and I think ehhhh, maybe not lol. Plus there`s dealing with selling my car and the process of dealing with car salesmen, and that sounds about as fun as smashing my toes with a hammer.

Thanks again for your insight. It`s greatly appreciated
    Could always take the approach I intended before I found my new (to me) truck. I kept the old, paid for Ford and bought a little Honda for most of my driving. I definitely miss having a smaller car/SUV to drive to/from work, around town, etc. Allowed me the more comfortable car but I still had the truck if I wanted it. Costs a little more for taxes and insurance but, it`s 19 years old so it`s really not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Any particular reason you preferred Nation over .org?
    Honestly, not really. Just tended to gravitate towards Nation. May be because it was the first one I joined, might be because I had a few friends that recommended me to it. If it was for another reason, I can`t remember.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information