Post Thanks / Like

Issue with newer GM SUVs

Just a FYI, the following was in the latest ISDA newsletter email:

[Begin Article]

Full-size GM SUVs are reportedly making people sick. Some 2015 Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans, plus Cadillac Escalades and GMC Yukons have a vibration problem that’s bad enough it can make drivers and passengers dizzy, or suffer from a severe headache or ear pain. Some owners have also described a buffeting sensation, like when one window is left at least partway down while going freeway speeds.
    The issue usually pops up when the vehicles go between 40 and 50 mph. This isn’t the first time that these kinds of problems have been reported in a group of vehicles, like the Jeep Death Wobble.
    Multiple complaints have been filed with NHTSA and GM is well aware of the issue. The automaker is trying to find a solution, but pinpointing the exact cause can be tricky since it might come from a number of possible sources. One of the most elusive aspects of the vibrations is that they’re happening in only a small fraction of the SUVs.
    Reportedly, a solution can be pretty simple, sometimes involving just rotating and balancing the tires (which people should be doing anyway) or swapping out the door seals. In some cases it involves a more involved approach, like reattaching the roof sheet metal to the bows.
    Others think that the cylinder deactivation technology is triggering the vibrations and buffeting. To help save on fuel, the V-8 engines shut down half of the cylinders whenever the SUV is cruising. For now it’s one of many theories.
    Depending on the cause, dealers may or may not able to address it. Adding to the bad news is there’s no recall or formal NHTSA investigation, so owners might have to make repairs out of their own pocket. GM has bought some defective SUVs back, but only in some cases.
    If you’re considering buying a new GM full-size SUV, the automaker says it has fixed the problem for the 2016 model year. Contradicting that claim is a report from AutoGuide, which says that one guy with a 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali has been experiencing the buffeting sensation whenever he goes over 35 mph.

[End Article]
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issue with newer GM SUVs

Yea, I heard a little about this...crazy...nothing like spending $40-50k (or whatever they sell for) and getting sick over it...

hope they get this straightened out

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been working at a Chevrolet or GMC dealer for the past 30 years and have never heard of this complaint. However, I do know that if you lower a rear window at speed the resulting disruption in airflow around the vehicle will drive you nuts. Doesn`t happen with front windows, only rears. I always attributed it to the extensive aero tuning that all vehicles today are subject to.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

This same complaint has been with the Silverado/Sierra for awhile. If you go to any truck forum this will come up,going back to MY`14. I`ve read everything to changing driveshafts, tires and wheels. It seems it`s hard to get the dealer to notice it on test drives

Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

As a struggling and unhappy owner of a pricey top-o-the-line CTS-V (2012 piece of Rat Poop), I am not likely to buy another GM vehicle for the rest of my life.

Government Motors does NOT stand behind their cars/trucks. Even the pricey models they sell? I can only refer to a personal, very exasperating, experience so far.

My frustrations over the last several years, have left me very negative about ever buying another GM vehicle. My warranty is up in June 2016. I would love to Buy American, but it`s doubtful that I will, for my next ride. Just a bad experience with GM, so far. And their dealerships.

Be cautious folks. Government Motors may produce everything you want? if the buyer is willing wait through all of their incompetency?

Post Thanks / Like

This sort of thing goes back a ways too...sold my last Trans Am back to the dealer when they couldn`t fix suspension issues and that was back in `85 before such systems got complicated. Thank goodness the owner of the dealership was a family friend. Only trouble-free GMs I`ve ever had were their old B-bodies.

Every time I see that GMC commercial about the suspension that adjusts [however many times per second] I think to myself "good luck getting that sorted out when it needs servicing". Local dealer took *two* weeks to sort out my (old-tech) Tahoe`s brakes, and almost as long to replace the steering gearbox (kept giving it back with life-threatening issues in both instances). Like those guys are gonna maintain something with whiz-bang tech?!?

But then any company that uses the song Eminence Front to sell their products either 1) is being run by idiots, or 2) clearly has zero respect for its customers...it`s a *clue* either way I genuinely feel bad for people who are buying their products as I simply can`t expect the ownership experience will go well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Accumulator for your comments. As I had not owned a GM vehicle (new, or used) for the past 50+ years of driving, I feel a little bad about knocking my only experience thus far, with a s`posedly "High Performance Car". The car goes like Hell, handles well for a heavy sedan. BUTT how `bout staying "sea worthy"? My experience so far also makes me believe that GM does not have any respect for their customers. Be warned, folks....

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It is incredible to think that after all the miles GM must have put on their new vehicles testing and evaluating them for issues, that they still release them that way...

How can this be ???

I am not sure but if there is an issue with a new vehicle that cannot be fixed by the maker of said vehicle, should not the Lemon Law apply here and compel the maker to take the car back ???

Might need to get an attorney involved that can do the research and then present the Dealer with the paper...

My `09 Grand Cherokee has a 5.7L Hemi with cylinder deactivation and while it does sound different when it cuts 4 cylinders out, this has never made me sick or experience buffeting, etc..

The thing about the cylinder deactivation with the Hemi anyway is that it only kicks in when it senses no Load on the engine and if I put apply a little more gas to the engine during that time, it will cut right back seamlessly to all 8 cylinders...

Hope this all gets sorted out....
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

OpenRoad- That`s gotta be *so* frustrating...the CTS-V oughta be one swell experience in all respects. IMO when one buys the hot Cadillac it`s supposed to be more than ajust an impressive performance-numbers experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    It is incredible to think that after all the miles GM must have put on their new vehicles testing and evaluating them for issues, that they still release them that way...

How can this be ???
    Just IMO- because they simply don`t care and assume that their customers will either be repeat-buyers or not regardless of things like that.

I am not sure but if there is an issue with a new vehicle that cannot be fixed by the maker of said vehicle, should not the Lemon Law apply here and compel the maker to take the car back ???
    My attorneys have always told me to just suck it up and move on.."don`t waste your money and our time". Apparently, getting satisfaction through the Lemon Law isn`t as easy and straightforward as one would assume.

How you gonna convince a judge that under some conditions certain passengers feel unwell when riding in it, let alone when the GM rep is there saying how they did all that testing and your complaint is "just so subjective". Heh heh, the rep/judge would probably care if *they* were the subject, but when it`s you....I dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    OpenRoad- That`s gotta be *so* frustrating...the CTS-V oughta be one swell experience in all respects. IMO when one buys the hot Cadillac it`s supposed to be more than ajust an impressive performance-numbers experience.
    It`s Dammm Frustrating! Even more so,... when the `12 version of the CTS-V had been out on the market for several years prior. I felt relatively "safe", buying a high-performance Caddy when it was not a Brand New Invention (aka First Model Year).

Call me a Stupido. My noisy/clanky Eaton supercharger finalllllllly got a backing from GM with an updated ten year warranty (for whatever that`s worth?...May be Naddah?)

But....the "Front-Wheel-Clicking" issue (yet anotherknown/documented design complaint) has returned twice. So far, no support from GM whatsoever for an extension on their idiotic/flawed lug nut/rotor hat designs. I will not deal with this car, once it goes out of warranty. (Don`t buy my car unless you want to put a xxxxload of more shekels into it folks!)

GM appeared to offer a good warranty upon my original purchase. I bought the car to handle safely on the road, take the curves, hills, and with some speed (It ain`t a Yugo?!) I am not into suits. I would just like a safe drive. Even when going over 50 mph? Reckon I shouldah bought a Fiat.

Thread Information