Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting ready for a big, much needed detail on the under carriage. I have a lifted truck, so its much more noticeable than most things and it bugs me to see it all grimy. What is your procedure for really getting the underside clean. Degrease? Wash? Claybar underbody painted surfaces? What wax, if any? I have pressure washed a few times but theres still a good amount of stuff down there, mostly road grime and dirt. Also, how do you go about positioning the vehicle? I know some guys with low cars do a number on the undercarriage and i have no idea how they are down there without getting soaked and getting a ton of stuff in their eyes. Even under my truck which is substantially higher than a car it is a pain to reach into places and move around, and i am not a big guy by any means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hosepipe, old sponges, various bruches, old mf`s etc, throw away rags for really dirty areas.

Autoglym engine and machine cleaner and tar remover, AG resin polish for painted parts, AG Vinyl and Rubber, metal olish for various parts.

I bear the get soaked and just get the car up on stands and get wet.

Take wheels off and do arch by arch

Post Thanks / Like

My old daily driver

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Castrol Super Cleaner-degreaser and a pressure washer (and a toilet brush), some metal polish for the exhaust, and a lot of MFs.

Post Thanks / Like
    that looks awesome richt, exactly how i would like mine to turn out.

with the MFs, are they basically destroyed after this job, or can you wash them out and use for the same general stuff again. I always hear about people using older MFs for this and that, but it sounds like they would be bound for the garbage can afterwards. Obviously cant use them for paintwork or such anymore, but are they still good for say wheels, engine, etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    I only used MFs on the cleanish bits otherwise they will be thrashed. I used sponges and brushes first, then on to throw away cotton polishing cloth ( Autoglym Perfect polishing cloth) then MFs that had been relegated down to undercarrige and wheel dutys. They should wash out and be able to be used for the same tasks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    right, thanks. again, that looks really good. I will be redoing the frame shortly, or most of it rather, and i would just like all of it to be spotless. I imagine i will need to buy a few brushes and mitts/sponges specifically for this task since it is far dirtier than any other part of the truck

Post Thanks / Like
    i was just talking about this with a friend, he told me that his buddy puts a coating of wd-40 on the undercarriage about once every 6 months and it keeps things golden... any comments on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    On another thread the other day, I commented on WD40, or any greasy/oily type dressing on the undercarrige is just a dust trap. It will probably over some form off protection but is not the ideal product for a fresh detailed look.

Thread Information