Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always heard that you can use peanut butter to remove dried wax from plastic trim. Any truth to this?

If so, how exactly do you do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    i would love to know cause i didnt bother covering my handle with tape when i polished an i REALLY regret it lol
    04 pathfinder CarDomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2430502

Post Thanks / Like
    make sure you purchase creamy peanut butter. No joke. Use it very thin and keep it off the paint cause it can get greasy as hell. Give it a shot for yourself. I would write more but to run to a game.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used peanut butter for several years but have now replaced it with Eagle One`s A to Z wheel cleaner. Works better than anything I`ve ever tried and haven`t had any paint issues at all, but I`m also careful to take around the trim and try to keep it off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanx, ill give both of them a shot, my black plastic handles look like crap... some1 showed me a walkthrough on how to paint plastic doorhandles... any1 know if this is difficult? i assume u must clean it with some sort of alcohol and then apply a primer and then a layer of touchup paint and possibly a layer of clear if necessary. any1 have any info on this? i gettin tired of seeing the dirty plastic
    04 pathfinder CarDomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2430502

Post Thanks / Like
    Magic Eraser will do:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by klnyc

Magic Eraser will do:up
    I`d try a ME (Mr. Clean Magic Eraser) before I`d go smearing food on my car. I know it has worked in the past, but it must be a horrific mess to clean after. Even if you aren`t satisfied with the ME, you`ll find MANY other uses for it. The cheapest place I`ve found them is at the dollar store - 2 for $2. Sam`s has them cheap too I`ve heard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Top of the Line`s GR-40 trim cleaner is unbeatable for this. Its not that expensive, and they sell trim dyes too. I`d highly suggest checking out their trim dying page.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by slammin86

I have always heard that you can use peanut butter to remove dried wax from plastic trim. Any truth to this?

If so, how exactly do you do it?

There`s some truth to it. It helps, a bit. But it`s still a waste of time imo. Agitating it with a toothbrush seems to work the best.

A2Z does a genuine good job, as does a Magic Eraser. I`ve tried them both. But you can`t lick your fingers when you`re done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried peanut butter and it does a great job but just does not seem like the right stuff so I bought some peanut oil and find it removes stains immediately. You can just wowo (wipe on wipe off). You want to get the trim dry as possible or it will attract dust in a few days, oh and it is cheap too.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    Peanut oil is probably a great trim restorer too! Who knew! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by themightytimmah

Top of the Line`s GR-40 trim cleaner is unbeatable for this. Its not that expensive, and they sell trim dyes too. I`d highly suggest checking out their trim dying page.

Peanut butter will temporarily mask this but it will come back so its a wasted thing. Try the GR-40(haven`t used before) or some Plexus or Poorboys Trim Restorer they work great for me. I think its best to go with a dedicated product for this headache cause you`ll just have to keep dressing over it and then it comes back

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by true blue blood

Peanut butter will temporarily mask this but it will come back so its a wasted thing. Try the GR-40(haven`t used before) or some Plexus or Poorboys Trim Restorer they work great for me. I think its best to go with a dedicated product for this headache cause you`ll just have to keep dressing over it and then it comes back

I used a meguiars detailing brush and bit of vegetable oil yesterday and it worked great. All of the white gunk on my weatherstripping and tail lights came right off. I did this after waxing last year, so I`m not sure what you mean about it coming back
    1998 4runner Limited 4WD Anthracite

-You know you are an Autopian when you lay awake at night fretting about the swirl marks on the roof of your car that no one knows about

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jeff_M

I used a meguiars detailing brush and bit of vegetable oil yesterday and it worked great. All of the white gunk on my weatherstripping and tail lights came right off. I did this after waxing last year, so I`m not sure what you mean about it coming back

Although it looks gone you covered it up with all of the oil. Just like most dressings on trim after awhile it will reappear you have to clean the surface with something and maybe a toothbrush if its a grained texture. Once that oil dries out it will probably come back. I can see if you get to quickly it will come off with an oil but probably more the wiping action. Here is a thread with some good info on trim and the dreaded peanut butter :p

Post Thanks / Like
    TBB, link is missing
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information