Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried APC`s, tooth brush scrubbing and wax blaster and I find that peanut butter still works better than all of them but is messy. I figure it must be the oil in the PB that does the trick. Has anyone tried anything else from the kitchen for stained trim? I was thinking of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), don`t laugh or Wesson oil on trim.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are specific products made for this purpose just like EVOO is made specifically for cooking.

You are correct in so far as it is the oil that will temporarily remove wax (I don`t know if this is the connection your making with cooking oils?)

As you like to experiment you could try using peanut oil in your cars engine (it does have a high temperature tolerance and low smoke at high temps...lol)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT, there are some things I don`t mix.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that 1Z Glanz Wax can actually disolve wax on plastic exterior trim; the solvents - which are designed to remove wax remaining on paint can do the same on plastic trim, and the wax itself doesn`t stain trim. I can`t gaurantee the results on all types of trim (and it does take a bit of rubbing), but it`s worked pretty well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peanut butter works great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard from someone else that Mr.Clean Magic Eraser is pretty good to remove wax on trim. I havent try it myself but I will next time I wax my car.

It`s pretty cheap, so you might want to give it a try. It`s also a way less messy than peanut butter and easier to manipulate.
    “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.” 2 Thess 3.10

`04 Mazda3 sedan GT, Sunset orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Why isn`t everyone using the magic eraser??? No I`m sure everyone has a favorite method, but after I used the Magic Eraser once I won`t bother with anything else. It rocks.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve actually used Meg`s 81 to remove stains off of trim. Works pretty well, basically just wipe on and off a couple of times. I wouldn`t recommend this for regular maintenance, but if you have wax built up on there, 81 actually takes it off really well with minimal effort. I just put some on a terry towel, and wiped it back and forth (textured trim). Worked for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xhaust50

Why isn`t everyone using the magic eraser??? No I`m sure everyone has a favorite method, but after I used the Magic Eraser once I won`t bother with anything else. It rocks.

Wish we could get that thing over here

Post Thanks / Like
    Axe,

The Magic Eraser seems to be the Mr Clean (US) brand that is owned by Procter & Gamble. Flash (UK) is also owned by P&G that have a product called Flash Mark & Stain Remover that looks very like the US Magic Eraser

Tesco`s have these for about ÂÂ3.50 for a 4 pack. Flash also have the Autodry Carwash kit that looks remarkably like the US Mr Clean Autodry kit!

So, me thinks I will be getting myself down to Tesco`s tomorrow to get one to try on my Clio trim that is caked in NXT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I went to the local Shoprite and picked up some Mr. Peanut peanut oil, 24 oz was about $5. I applied it to stained trim, door handle guard, using a clean cloth and it certainly goes on easier than peanut butter. It`s not very viscous and spreads easily and removed any staining right away. I spread it around on the door handle guard and it produced a glossy surface that gave uniform appearance. Wiped it all off and it looked excellent. I`ll give it a few day to see what happens next.
    Peter Sterns

Post Thanks / Like
    NIce info NiFreaky shall have a trot out also. THanks, and let me know if it cleans your trim fella.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard GR-40 is the holy grail of solutions for this. I`ve never used it though:

http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-cleaner.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried this spray I got at work called "Citra-Blast" and it took the wax staining right off. First I sprayed it on, scrubed with a brush then wiped it off. I checked it the next morning to see if it did work and not cover it up..it was all gone. It also left the trim very clean looking.

The custodians where I work use it to clean everything..even wax build-up on the walls..thats why I gave it a try...

Here is the link to the product.

http://www.nclonline.com/productdeta...?currcode=2001

You may have to buy it at a janitorial supply house...

Works great on tires also...just need a little scrubbing
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    Your suspicion about the oils in peanut butter is correct. Any oil will work as well as peanut butter. Even nasty skanky engine oil you get from wiping off the dipstick (try it, you`ll be amazed).

It`s really a temporary measure, as the oils make the stain more transparent. When they evaporate, the white hazing returns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information