Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I`ve decided to wax my car for the first time. What product can I use that is NOT time consuming, and how can I avoid residues left on moldings and rubber trimmings caused by waxing?

Remember, I want to keep this project as simple as possible with good result.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO from klasse and the follow up with SG use the wipe on wipe off method and you`ll be hooked up..

BTW you can use the AIO right on the trim and it will look great

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep or simply tape your molding and trim before hand with blue painters tape. Doing so really isn`t terribly time consuming. It`s much less than taping everything you don`t want rotary usage contacting
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    How good is Meguairs NXT? They claim that it does not dry white but I don`t know what happens if you stray onto plastic trim or rubber.
    Heading towards "obsessed" - Got Orbital, been to my Detailing Workshop and now understand Orbital & Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    im not sure about nxt, but i remember reading that the chemicals used to make the scents for the wax are what stain, so i would think nxt would stain since it has that fruity smell. i know for a fact that p21s does not stain...

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT will not stain smooth plasic or rubber. Textured moldings such as the ones found on the tailgates and door handles of Ford/chevy trucks will stain for sure.

Products that do not stain in my experience:

TS

S100

EX

LS

AIO

SG

EX-P

Deep crystal #3

Mother`s pure carnauba

I am sure there are others that I am forgeting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paste Glaz does not stain either. Oddly, Signature does.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess any type of wax stains textured trim?

Post Thanks / Like
    I guarantee that NXT stains textured trim. And it`s near impossible to get off.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, not any wax stains textured trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    how about you just not wax the trim pieces you are worried about? is your hand cordination really that off that you can`t keep the applicator from hitting the black pieces?

vernon

Post Thanks / Like
    For carnaubas, I`ve used Souveran, #16, P21S, and Collinite 476S on textured black trim without any staining, but you have to wipe off any excess right away. It`s almost like using a w-o-w-o method. If you leave excess on there you`ll get staining.

Souveran is the best in this regard, I`ve used it on the textured trim and rubber bumper covers of the XJS for nearly 20 years with no issues at all.

I usually use KSG on black trim these days. I clean it with AIO and then do the w-o-w-o method with SG (this is the only time I w-o-w-o with that product). Six applications/layers last me over a year.

vdog0531- I dunno, I have decent (i.e., above average ) eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills, but I still find it pretty difficult to avoid getting product on the trim of some vehicles. When the trim fits flush, it`s not like you have any real margin of error to work with. In those cases it`s tricky to get it right up to the edge of the trim but not *on* the trim. Yeah, some vehicles are easy (like my MPV), but others I`ve done aren`t (the black fender flares on some older VWs come to mind). So I only use products that don`t stain trim.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used 16, definately doesnt stain. If you`re looking for over the counter type stuff, be wary. Most of the stuff that i`ve used that can be bought at advance auto or pep boys (or even wal mart for that matter) seems to stain trim. I havent tried NXT, so i cant offer any real opinions, but that would be a good bet IMO for a readily available wax. I know NuFinish stains (not that anybody would ever use that any more) as does the RainX wax. I`m pretty sure that regular old turtle wax stains too, but not sure.

If you want to get something in a local store, I would try NXT. Just be careful, even if it doesnt stain, its a lot easier to do it nice once, than spend the time getting all the stuff off the moldings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, for everyone`s reply. I`ll give AIO a try if I could find it locally. Otherwise, I`ll go with NXT and take caution around textured moldings.

vdog0531,

I just want get this done quickly without spending time too much time on attention to detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put the trim dressing on before you wax, leave it on thick, buff off later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information