Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

My new toys are going to get here on monday or tuesday and I was wondering why some people use the wipe on wipe off method for SG and why some use the 24 hr cure time.

Which do you use and why?

Also, If I were to use the wipe on wipe off method, would I still have to wait 24 hours before applying another layer of SG?

Thanks for the help and if anyone would like to add anything on their experiences or anything on SG feel free to say so.

Jason
    99 Z28 - Pewter

Zaino RULES!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the WOWO method is much easier for SG removal. I would wait 24 hrs between coats.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, not everyone can let their car sit for 24hrs straight, so thats where the WOO method comes in... (or WOWO same thing... I like WOO)

so after a day of driving you can come home and qd/s&w/wash and then add another coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    A product curing is different then normal solvent drying. When you take a product off it`s because the solvents dried and left the sealant on the paint, but the sealant hasn`t cured yet. If you wipe more product on the solvents and active products will effect the sealant that is on the vehicle. Think about basic chemistry, like attracks like. However, when the product itself cures (all solvents are not present and the sealant itself has crosslinked or fully dried) you can put your next coat on. That`s a good product choice and a lot of people get good results with 24 hour cures but I would wait 2 or 3 days between coats. And the manufactorer recommends a week between coats for best results. One coat of that on top of a coat of AIO is a pretty good protected surface anyhow. They do have instant cure products out there but that`s not one of them. When I use SG I use WOWO. It`s a finiky product and I like to get it off right away. Always have AIO handy if there`s any problems. Once you get it done it leaves a very nice finish.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    WOWO?

I`m getting better at this abbreviation thing, but I`m a little stuck here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wipe on Wipe Off

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. So you mean instead of letting it cure for 24 hours and then buffing it out you just put it on a panel, and buff it out of that panel then go to the rest of your car?

Why would you wait 24 hours when you could just do that if I am getting what WOWO means?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I must be really misunderstanding here. If I were to put on ONE coat of SG then want to top it with P21S how long would it be until I could put that P21S on using any method that is shorter?

Sorry for the q`s, I`ve almost got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Badandy

Why would you wait 24 hours when you could just do that if I am getting what WOWO means?

Just personal preference.

I find that the wipe it on/let it sit/wipe it off the next day is a) *very* easy, almost effortless, with no problems of any kind and b) more convenient *for me* as I only have to spend a little while putting it on and then a little time the next day taking it off. FWIW, I only use SG on our minivan, and by the time I wash/dry it (I really *do* the undercarriage, etc. every time) and put on the SG I`ve had enough for one session. When I`m doing polishing and AIO too, it`s a pretty big job and after putting on the SG I`m at a good stopping point. The wipe-off the next day couldn`t be easier and, well, I just like splitting it up that way. Sometimes I just let it set up for a few hours, depends on what I feel like doing. Sometimes I let it set up for more than a day (yeah, it stays clean in my garage).

It seems that the longer SG sets up before wipe-off (I`ve gone as long as four days), the easier that wipe-off is. Not that it`s ever tough or anything, but there is a difference.

I`ve tried the w-o-w-o (I do use that method on black plastic trim) and I just don`t like doing it that way. Nothing *wrong* with that method, but it`s not what I prefer. IMO everyone should do whatever they enjoy doing, as long as there`s no (functional) problem with their chosen method.

If I were to put on ONE coat of SG then want to top it with P21S how long would it be until I could put that P21S on using any method that is shorter?

No matter how you do the SG, wait 24 hours or so before you top it with the wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apply, then buff out the next day. Sounds good.

And P21S is called what at Harley Davidson shops that I can buy? S100? And I will post pics once I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

P21S is called what at Harley Davidson shops that I can buy? S100?

Yep, that`s it. But I wouldn`t be in a hurry to top the SG, more layers is better

If you`re buying wax anyhow, give some thought to getting Meg`s #16 instead. Some of us like it better than the P21S/S100. Similar look, better beading, better durability. Cheap too, since a can will literally last for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will really look as good as S100? Because I love Meguiars stuff, maybe I will go that route. Similar results?

I hope so. I may only have time for one coat of each. will that still look good or am I better off just doing one coat of NXT after a wash with nothing under it

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

IMO the WOWO method is much easier for SG removal. I would wait 24 hrs between coats.

First response and IMO, Pat nailed it. The only thing I can add is that I would wait a full week after your last layer of SG to top with a carnauba (if you so desire).
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

It [Meg`s #16] will really look as good as S100? Because I love Meguiars stuff, maybe I will go that route. Similar results? I hope so. I may only have time for one coat of each.

Opinions differ, but I consider the #16 about the same looks-wise as the P21S. Sure doesn`t look bad. If you only have time for one coat, it`ll give you a lot more protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    does the 24hr start after you apply SG or ofter you wipe it off?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information