Post Thanks / Like
    A friend has a truck that has some cement splatter on the side behind the front tire. He`s tried everything he can think of, and I suggested warm vinegar, but he said it didn`t even touch it. I looked at it the other day, and it looks just like mud/dirt does when it splashes up, but it`s white. I was able to get small pieces to `chip` off with my fingernail, but it was a real bear. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,

I`m definitely no expert, but I think I`ve read on here that someone took care of this same problem. However, they had to resort to a "wet sanding" process followed by a high cut polish, mid polish, finishing polish etc. I`d say it`s probably going to be a long day fixing that problem, but perhaps some of the other "detailaholics" on here could chime in with a quicker fix. Good luck with it!
    Eric

Austin IT Recruiter Guy

" Whoa, that`s a LOT of Red!!" - 328ci

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,

White vinegar will work. You may need to soak it for a while. Soak it with a sponge. I`ve done this a dozen or more times.

Don`t wipe! Don`t use abrasives.

As a last resort, pick up a pack of plastic razor blades from www.scraperite.com.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Vinegar will work but Muratic acid will work quicker BUT it needs more "attention" also.

I would not recommend wetsanding at all. I believe you would do severe damage to the painted areas.

Try the vinegar first. It may help to place the vinegar in a misting spray bottle and saturate the area. Let it soak, plastic razor blade to gently scrap, and then resoak.

If you go with the acid then you need to apply it to a towel, (wear suitable gloves, eye protection) and then let it soak the area. Keep a bucket of water nearby with some soap to nuetralize the acid if needed. When cement is removed then wash with fresh soap and water. Finish with polish/wax.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    P.S., DO NOT USE UNDILUTED MURATIC ACID. Start at a ratio of 100:1 (water:acid)

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t forget to add the acid to the water and not vice-versa. I think I learned that back in HS chemistry many, many, many moons ago.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    A while back I hit some white sanded grout and it spattered everywhere. I finally resorted to using ZAPP - the tub and tire cleaner. It contains a buffered mutiatic acid that is hands friendly. It took the grout off very easily. Several points I should make here:

(1) Don`t rub it - the imbedded sand will really do a number on the paint. Use a terry towel as it holds a lot of the liquid and blot the spatters. Take your time as it WILL NOT be a quick job.

(2) I had AIO and multiple layers of SG & UPP on the paint at the time, so I think that helped a lot in protecting the paint from the acid.

(3) I did remove all the grout, except from in the tire treads. Had th pull out the plastic fender liners to clean them. By that time I was out of ZAPP, so ised some Castrol Super clean and a very siff scrubbing brush to clean those.

(4) Rinse very well. When you think you are done rinse it two more times..... Just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I would just forward this info to him, BUT...He wants me to "teach" him how to detail his truck **TRANSLATION: Detail my truck for me while I watch and pretend to be learning
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Don M

Thanks guys. I would just forward this info to him, BUT...He wants me to "teach" him how to detail his truck **TRANSLATION: Detail my truck for me while I watch and pretend to be learning

If that`s the case, tell him not to forget the beer!

Thread Information