Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I decided to give the blue car a wash and another coat of SG. I noticed the last time I washed, the horizontal areas felt rough (due to my shoddy claying job the month before, lol). So after I finished washing the car yesterday I decided to give the problem areas a clay. This time I was forced to experiment since I had no QD on hand. I grabbed a piece of clay after the car was washed but before it was dried, and I used the existing water on the surface as my lube. Wow, did it ever work well. The clay glided across the surface beautifully. Once I finished with the clay, I then dried the remaining water off. I was very happy. The panels were smooth as glass.

I really like this new method. I can save a whole lot of time during my details. I used to wash, dry, and then clay with lube. That process took me a helluva lot of time. Drying the QD lube off of each section was time consuming.

I just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who want to try something new/save some time during your details.

I actually read the water as lube trick here in a the thread. Someone mentioned that it worked well, which prompted me to try it. So to whoever you are (sorry, I don`t remember who), Thank you for the tip.

Bill. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve clayed with water from the hose running continually over the area, not friendly to the water bill though
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can imagine if the water is constantly running it will be painful on your pocket book. I`d get a beating myself if I did that, lol! I just used the water left on the surface. Worked like a charm.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve done this too. Cuts down on time a lot, works just as well. It`s good to have the lube at hand incase a panel isn`t as wet as you`d like it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long have i been saying this ??? :bounce :xyxthumbs

One thing I did notice is you need to run the clay along at a quicker rate due to lack of lubricants. But my feeling is it picks up better due to this also.....: Thinksnow, where are you !?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do it one step earlier. Clay while you wash, it saves a bunch of time. :xyxthumbs
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    add a little car soap to the water and use a spray bottle, you`ll have to re-wash the car, but it`s super lubricant.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like using just water, but it doesn`t work as well on vehicles that haven`t been waxed in a while...
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about using the car wash soap as well, but someone mentioned that it will actually cause the clay to break apart/crumble. That`s why I stuck with water.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done it on about 6-7 cars and a few times on my own car with no problems. You should not have tons of soapy water on the surface when running the clay, just enough to get the surface slippery. I also sorta wing water off of the clay (wave it like a fan) before I knead and fold it. I use Meguiar`s GC and Claymagic like this with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use car wash soap. Save on those WD bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mixture of Megs High-Tech wash "00" and water in a spray bottle and it works just as well for both clay and wetsanding due to its high lube content. Clay will glide like magic!.. Clay Magic

:p

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the wash, clay with a car wash soap/water solution and rewash method and save the QD for what it was intended for. :xyxthumbs

Today I detailed a silver Honda Passport...the finish felt like 400 grit sandpaper. afetr using the above method, the paint was as smooth as a newborn baby`s tush!

Post Thanks / Like
    The wash, clay, re-wash method sounds just as time consuming as using a QD lube. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    for me it`s wash & clay, rinse, dry. No re-wash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information