Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about you guys but I like to detail alone, no distractions, no kids, no nothing.

Rained all holiday weekend and finally let up this afternoon and I had a 2 hour window to wash, add coat of SG with no distractions.

Finished the washing and just starting SG when my yappy neighbor comes by to engage in conversation. The kind of guy that won`t let you do anything outside without coming over to talk for 2 hours. I`m think there`s a city bylaw that requires one on every block.

First he describes his near death experience with post nasal drip then comes the inane questions (What`s this Klasse stuff, is it as good as Turtle Wax?). Then of course this. (Come over and check out my new driver.) The only way this guy can improve his golf game is to take up tennis. Now when you cut grass you can finish up a conversation and puncutate it by starting up your mower. A little rude but acceptable in my book.

Anyways you ever try to apply SG using WOO while there is incessant chatter in the background? Not a pretty site. You end up doing the same panel 5 times and missing 2 others because he won`t shut up. Big drawback for WOO IMHO.

Then of course his kids come over and almost knock over my open SG bottle twice and grabbing my clean MF`s with their grubby little hands. :angry He was there to the bitter end and I could not think of a way to get rid of him without saying "SCRAM". How many times can you say "yea" and uh huh" during a conversation before figuring out that the guy you are talking to doesn`t want to talk. It`s also the 2nd week in a row this has happened so I`m cursed. He must be looking out his window waiting for the first poor sap to come out so he can bore him to death.

So outside of waking up at 6 a.m. to do your car how do you tell the neighbor from hell to "take a hike" without actually telling him to "take a hike".

Sorry this was a bit long winded but so is my neighbor and he never apologizes for it.
    Is that a new claybar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Post Thanks / Like
    A closed garage with shop lights might be a remedy. If he catches you during washing, finish up then tell him you have to go inside and take care of some things...close the garage door and get back to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Dan .. that guy .. he lives next door to me here in B.C. and every time I get to detailing , he comes out .. I tell him you want to see him and he trotts off to your house .. leaves me alone.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought only I had this LUCK! My neighbor not only bothers me while detailing but asks to borrow my stuff! Im not a greedy person but im working!

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a stereo in your detailing area louder than he is to cover those "personal times" Also a loud buffer and earplugs might also help. And a big dog with sharp teeth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wear headphones when I am working on customer`s cars. When I detail my own car, invariably someone comes out to talk to me. Now that I have a PC, I act like I don`t hear them.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m planning on tinting my garage windows with some 15-20% this summer to keep the detailing operations covert

In your case, just tell him you have to take care of some business inside and go in until you see him leave, then back to the real business outside!
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just go with the truth - tell him this is your way of unwinding and you hope he doesn`t take it wrong, but generally when you come out to work on your car you are looking to get away from everyone and everything and be alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I envision a razor wire fence and also a mine field...maybe some super glue for his house doors.

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    hehe, chase him with a PC, and squirt tire gel at him, you can be DAMN sure he won`t come near you when you are surrounded by car detailin products hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    hehehe i just had a vision, you neighbour on another forum of friendships asking : I have a neighbour who looks really lonely when he details his car, so i make an effort and go out to speak to him, only thing is he wants to talk for hours! how can i just appear friendly without talking to this guy for 2 hours? hehehe

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the neighbor who has to say: "you`re going to rub the paint right off of that car!" every time you`re working on your car.

Yosemite - i`m with you on this one. Detailing my Max is my quiet time that i enjoy. I don`t need any "un-welcome" company from pesky rabbits errr....i mean neighbors.

But i have an idea that might work for you. First say this to your neighbor:

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Yosem...m/ltys_074.wav

and then if he doesn`t shup up do this:

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Yosem...m/ltys_057.wav

Bob
    2004 Nissan Maxima SE (silver with black leather)

Post Thanks / Like
    SilverBelle04 to funny.

I`ll second the loud radio or a walkman with head phones. If that doesnt work maybe you could start on the interior. Get in, close the door and start doing the widows. I have a neighbor who the brother to your neighbor. If I see him outside I stay inside. When he first moved in he told me his whole life story. I do mean almost the whole story. From high school (sports, grades, clubs) to marriage to the big divorce to when he has visitation with the

kids. Just seemed a little bit odd to me. Lots of personal informatin to share with someone you just met.:nixweiss
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    seriously next time, put your items down, stop what you are doing and engage him in conversation. but make it really strange and unconfortable. for instance.

if he talks about his personal nasal problems. ask him if he`s ever had a red dot on his wang and if it leaked white milky fluid. then ask if he would take a look at it to confirm you`re okay.

if he talks about golf ask him if hes ever used the driver in the bedroom with his wife.

stuff like that will make him star at you funny and never come over again.

then again if he takes you up on the offers you go a whole new set of problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    hehehehe i like yo ideas blackmagic

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information