Post Thanks / Like
    hi guys... first post here!!!!

y recently took my car to get my hood repaired because a rock fell on it!!!!! they left the car with some swirl marks and light scratches...

a coulpe of quesitions...

1. im a rookie at detailing cars... is it possible to remove these marks by hand??? not just hide them... remove them...

2. is it safe to apply any products to the car since the dealer repainted it only 2 weeks ago??

3. i would like to pay a visit to a really good detail shop in the ft lauderdale/miami area.... do you guys know of any??

i appreciate any input!!!! thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    schrader- Welcome to Autopia! Dunno about pros in FLA, but as for your other Qs-

1)Depends on how bad the marring is and how hard the paint is. You can probably make a HUGE improvement, at the very least.

2)Yes, just use "bodyshop safe" products/those made for "uncured" paint. I`ve been using Meg`s #80 (Speed Glaze) on fresh paint, it`s mildly abrasive so it might get your marring out, and it leaves some "fresh paint safe" protection too.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your replies... but you guys sound very knlowledgable... right now im just a rookie and i dont want to mess up my paint by doing it myself... so the question is...

since you guys dont know of a detail shop here in south florida...what should i look for when scouting for one... and is it safe to take it to a detail shop after just one week of beeing painted at the body shop???

thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Schrader- Well, yeah it`s safe *IF* (VERY *BIG* "if") the detailer is good. Good paintshops often polish paint right after it dries. Just a matter of finding someone who knows what they`re doing. Anyone can mess up anything if they`re careless/ignorant/etc. Never assume that someone is COMPETENT just because they are a "successful professional". Note that a "pro" inflicted the swirls in the first place. Heh heh, the pros who post here are different from the norm, they really KNOW what they`re doing.

Honestly, I`d spend a few bucks on the #80, some foam applicators and some MF towels, and try it in some little spot. You`ll be pleasantly surprised at how well it turns out. Even given your lack of experience, *I* think that would be a perfectly safe way to go, perhaps the SAFEST way, unless you find an Autopian in your area.

Thread Information