Post Thanks / Like
    Did a search already..

I did a training project in my company`s bodyshop a few months ago and a couple of brand new Jeep Liberties had suffered from silicone stains on their paint. The dealer had "detailed" the cars when they sold them to the customer, and used a cheap, silicone-based tire shine. The result? A browning/yellowing on the quarter panels that required repainting.

A friend of mine is extremely cheap and very stubborn. She`s in college, so she`s broke. But she loves the Z28 that her folks bought her. A couple of years ago, I did a Zaino treatment on the car for her, and it came out really well. But since then, she kinda just wings it (IMHO) with store-bought basic stuff. I noticed that on her ground effects, there were some yellow spots. When those two Jeeps came in my bodyshop, I realized what her yellow spots were - silicone stains from using Black Magic.

However, even to this day, she still uses Black Magic tire shine. I think it`s junk, and that she only buys it because it`s the cheapest tire shine at Wally-world. So what I`m looking for is a verified picture of a silicone stain on a car`s paint. She`s being stubborn as usual, and won`t listen to a voice of wisdom. Thanks.
    2003 Mazda 6s

Silver/black

Post Thanks / Like
    A "verified picture"? Hmmm.... is this for a court case or something??

Even if you can prove it to her, she isn`t going to change her mind, is she? I mean, think about the futility of a man trying to change the mind of a stubborn woman.......

Just trying to interject some common guy sense into your situation. My suggestion is to let her do whatever she wants. It`s her car.

Whatever you do, tread lightly, comrade.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the big brother effect. I`ve gone through countless episodes of "I told you so" with this girl. But she never listens. I wanna chalk up another one.
    2003 Mazda 6s

Silver/black

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I`m wrong, but I don`t think that there is any evidence that silicone-based tire dressings cause "stains" or "yellow spots" on properly applied or factory clear-coat paint finishes.

If you have info otherwise, please share............

My understanding is that auto body shops dislike silicone-based products (i.e. Armor All) because they cause "fish eye" or crater like defects on repainted surfaces. This is essentially a prep failure, since proper prevention with PREPSOL or equivalent product is effective against fish eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not show her a bottle of tire shine where it says on the label not to use it on light colored vehicles due to the danger of stain from tire sling. I think I saw that once on Armour-All.

FYI, it`s the creosote that`s in the tire rubber that is released by the dressing that causes the stains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dean

Correct me if I`m wrong, but I don`t think that there is any evidence that silicone-based tire dressings cause "stains" or "yellow spots" on properly applied or factory clear-coat paint finishes.

If you have info otherwise, please share............

My understanding is that auto body shops dislike silicone-based products (i.e. Armor All) because they cause "fish eye" or crater like defects on repainted surfaces. This is essentially a prep failure, since proper prevention with PREPSOL or equivalent product is effective against fish eye.

A good article about silicone in tire dressings can be found here:

http://www.autoint.com/Basics%20of%2...protection.htm

Discussion of "sling" from silicone oil dressings is on Pg 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent info. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean.. out of curiosity .. what color were the Jeeps and the Z28?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Thread Information