Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering I`ve been getting PM`s asking me to outline my official SG application/removal technique, I thought I would go ahead and start a thread that covers exactly how I perform wipe on, wipe off.

My technique is pretty simple.

In order to apply SG using wipe on, wipe off, you should do the following:

1. Take a terry covered foam applicator and spray it with water.

I initially recommended spraying the applicatior with a non-carnuba QD or water. I`ve changed my mind about this. Just stick to good old tap water. Too many different QD`s out there that give different results.

Squeeze the applicator as much as you can so that most of the water is gone. All you should have is a slightly damp applicator. This will make the SG more pliable.

2. Apply a couple of drops of SG to your applicator and apply it to a section of your car (1/3 of the hood, half of the roof, etc) in a front to back motion. Once you have covered the whole section with SG, immediately wipe off the residue with a DRY charisma or MF towel in a front to back motion.

3. Repeat step 2 for every section until the whole car is done.

Notes:

- As mentioned before, wipe the SG off immediately, no dry time is necessary.

- The SG should wipe off very easily leaving behind a slick, smooth, and glossy finish.

- You should use no more than 1oz. of SG per coat on a regular size car (BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class)

- Only perform step 1 one time, before applying SG to the first panel. You do NOT need to spritz your applicator with water before applying SG to each section. Once you apply SG to a couple of sections the applicator will be wet enough with SG, negating the need for more water.

-Do not use any water or QD to aid in removal of SG. This will just cause the klasse SG to develop an oily haze/film down the road. I`ve also experienced this.

-Wait AT LEAST 24 hours before applying another coat of SG. SG needs time to cure and bond to your paint surface. I would personally wait a week. If you`ve driven the car ANYWHERE, then wash it before applying the next layer, or else you will just re-swirl your car.

-Put on three coats of SG, and you will be good to go.

-If you desire more warmth and depth in your paint, then apply a pure carnuba wax (no cleaner waxes) a week after you’ve applied the third layer of SG. Make sure you wash before you wax. You may experience some streaking or ghosting of the wax. I did, but it wasn’t enough to bother me. This is because SG and carnuba (any carnuba) don’t entirely get along. Consider yourself warned.

That`s it!

Any questions, let me know.

Bill.

edit: I added some more points to the notes section.

edit Jan 1/04: I am now recommending against misting the applicator with QD. Mist it with water instead. Too many QD`s give too many different results.

edit May 11/04: If you decide to put a wax topper over your SG, ensure it is a pure carnuba wax without cleaners. The cleaners in a cleaner wax will strip off your SG, resulting in a wasted effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill.....Your instructions are printed and in my file
    2005 Harley Softtail, 1998 Infinity QX4, 1998 ContourSVT

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ; Klasse SG Wipe on, Wipe off, Official Application Instructions
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! Been applying my 4 layers of SG the "classic" way. This should make it less of an ordeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem guys!!! You`re very welcome. Just glad I can give something back to the community. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like "Hall of Fame" time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Bill North! Haven`t tried this method yet, but if it works for me, you are my new hero! Looking forward to cutting down my SG time by, what, 23 hours or so!

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    tony_passat,

remember you still *need* 24hrs between applications of sg, and some amount of cure time beofre topping w/ carnuba.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dtsang

tony_passat,

remember you still *need* 24hrs between applications of sg, and some amount of cure time beofre topping w/ carnuba.

Yeah, I knew that. I meant 23 hours of drying time before removal. So instead of 23 hours drying time + 24 hours ( 47hours!) cure time between coats, I now have just the 23 hours cure time between coats :up .

Anyway, it`s all good.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    bill, used you method on my truck, dads vette, and friends benz. Question, i sometimes will do a few panels before wiping off, and i will sometimes need a spritz of the sonus qd to get it off? Is this normal, or should i wipe off faster? BTW, GREAT RESULTS!
    "You offroad that thing?" "Yea man, all the time"

Post Thanks / Like
    BlueRanger,

It is normal. My best advice is to wipe off immediately. Don`t wait. If you do more than 1 section b4 buffing then you will give the SG a chance to dry too long requiring the use of sonus.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for posting your method Bill, it`s very handy. I will be sure to use it when I start.

Question: After damping the applicator with QD and applying the first few drops of SG, how often will I have to add more SG to the applicator? Also, when you use a back and forth motion to apply the SG, do you actually recover the exact same area more than once?

It`s hard for me to put this in writing. What I mean is, if you start with the farthest left side of the hood (to your right when facing the car), do you move from the front to the back ( the back being closest to the windshield), then move slightly medial to the streak you just made and come back down towards the front of the hood, so that you don`t "backtrack" over a previously wiped area?

If I only have time to add one layer of SG, can I put carnuba wax on it right away or should I still give the SG time to Cure?

Finally, if applying klasse AIO, do I follow the same method as for SG i.e. use a damp applicator?

I hope this wasn`t confusing. Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jabroni, do at least 3 coats of the SG before you put on the wax topper. The general consensus on here is that the SG pops after more than 1 coat. There`s a great write up titled "eye protection needed or required" of the SG product and observations with the new wipe on/off method in the review section, check it out...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the reply, grt1today.

I really don`t have time to put on more than 1 coat of SG until summer, so I figure I should put on some wax for some added protection until that time comes.

What do you mean by SG "pops?"

Post Thanks / Like
    "Pops" meaning the shine won`t really amaze you until you have more than 1 coat on. After that, you`ll really need your sunglasses...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information