Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Nightmare

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think I experienced my worst nightmare yestersay. I was merging on the interstate and I look up ahead and to my left where the other interstate merges in and what do I see. A cement mixer. At that point traffic starts to jam up ( 255 and 64 for those around STL ). So I am forced to follow this guy for about a mile until I could finally get over.

Well you can guess the outcome, many chips on the hood and even chipped the windsheild and the headlights.

I have spent the morning getting out the ones I could with the buffer and just applied the first layer of touch up paint to those that wouldn`t buff out, some of which are very very deep. Don`t know if there is a point to this, but just wanted to vent a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. I got caught behind a dump truck hauling gravel yesterday, I about cried at all the chips on the front end.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my buddies suggested turing it into insurance. I don`t know if it`s that bad or if they would even cover such a road hazard. There are maybe 15 or so chips total 7 or 8 being pretty bad. To me it`s terriable, but I don`t know what the insurance agent would say.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe its worth looking into just for kicks. Who knows they may even say you they`ll take care of it. worth a shot in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the feeling, somtimes there is no place to hide. Situations like that are not good for your blood pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might just stop by today and see what they have to say. As for the blood pressure, yes it was high. To be honest, I freaked out with each rock that hit.

I am trying to just chalk it up to " that`s what happens when you actually drive your car" - but it`s not working yet. I knew I shouldn`t have taken it out of the garage !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You think you feel bad, I know some guy who has a 1995`ish Corvette. We were driving to the drag strip, I think it was this guy`s first time. His car is a show car, never drives it nor races it but wanted to try something new and probaly more so wanted to show off his 2 week old paint job.

We hit a 10 mile stretch of raw dug up highway and the multi thousand dollar paint job was ruined. Must of had 40 rock chips all over his fresh blue paint. Do you know that sound of your tires kicking up tons of sand into the fender wells? Well think of that sound but the sand were huge pebbeles and they were hitting the cars paint like it was raining rocks.

I got two knicks in the process of slowing down to 30 mph on the Mass Pike.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried insurance for that once...the cement mixer didn`t have a metal shield that most do to prevent a lot of rocks from flying out.

Insurance company siad I`d have to pay the deductible unless I have the liscense plate number of the truck. Honestly, I just was looking to get away as best I could, I didn`t even think about getting the liscense plate

Post Thanks / Like
    I really feel your pain---they`re doing "road construction" around here and the dump trucks are all over the place. I got stuck behind one the other day and after the third rock hit the windshield from bouncing off his truck I pulled over and let the car behind me go. I waited like 30 seconds and then pulled out again...

I hate dump trucks and really wish they better designed or at least hosed off before pulling out on the main road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the words guys, I stopped by the office and they said pretty much the same thing as medic stated. They said they would need atleast the company`s name who owend the truck so they could try to get money out of them.....the truck also did not have the "guard" from what I could see. /sigh

Well I had planned on getting a new hood anyway, maybe next spring I will go ahead with it. I was looking into the Cobra R for those mustang guys out there. Anybody know an estimate of getting a hood painted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BK1

I hate dump trucks and really wish they better designed or at least hosed off before pulling out on the main road.

The really gunked up ones are hosed down here in Boston, MA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting on flameproof suit.

Do you guys all tailgait? I`ve been stuck behind trucks that were dropping various stuff on the road, but I don`t get hit by it. (of course, often another car moves into the nice big space that I leave, but then that car gets hit by the debris, not mine)
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    two things I hate the most, rock chips and door dings!

Post Thanks / Like
    No Flame, but there was a lot of traffic so there was not much I could do about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Gents...Same thing happened to me while "on vacation" with our NEW SUV. Got behind a gravel truck in heavy traffic on the New Jersey turnpike. Cracked windshield resulted from a rock chip a few days later and several chipped paint spots before I could get away. Really ruined the day. Guess it could have been worse, but it sure wasn`t nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information