Post Thanks / Like
    So there was so much road grime on my car today that I had to bust out the Turtle wax bug and tar remover (comes in a yellow spray can). It took care of the grime on the side skirts of the car very well.

My question is would anyone use it on the side panels? i.e., lower part of door and behind wheel wells. I wasn`t sure if it was safe to use on large areas with very little road grime. I decided to wait and use a clay bar instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay really isn`t intended to remove big stuck-on crud. It`s more for small embedded crud that you can barely see. I`d worry about using clay on big stuff because the clay will drag it around. It`s probably too much crud for the clay to handle.

You should use the bug/tar stuff wherever it is needed, but I wouldn`t use it in areas that don`t need it.

What kind of crud is it? I`m picturing like dirt and grass and stuff that has a tendency to dry onto the car and is very hard to remove with a washing. Good protection, and not waiting too long to wash it usually significantly reduces this stuck-on crud.

Maybe reply only in this thread or the other, and then the discussion will be all in one place.

Patrick
    Ya know, it sounds like your obviously headed for a full exterior detail, correct ? Diluted APC works wonders on "crud", keep the surface misted for maybe 10 minutes and most "crud" will come off rather easy....Anything your initial cleaning doesnt get, hit with the clay..

Post Thanks / Like
    I returned all my TW yellow can stuff - sprayed some on a mirror and it clouded the finish. Sprayed it on a good portion of the hood and I got a greasy residue that was hard to wash off on a large area like that.

Try the 1z insect remover if you want something stronger that doesn`t mess up your finish and comes off very easily.

Better detailing through chemistry

z

Thread Information