Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well about 1.5 months ago i took the ML to get a bunch of things fixed before the warranty expired. I specifically told the dealer no wash because the car was very dirty and told him i did not want swirls and scratches. He sympathized with me and said he wouldnt wash it. The car came back washed and i called the very next day and complained and he said to call him and tell him what i wanted them to do to rectify the problem. I am very busy and had not had a chance to see the car in the sun and washed.... till this past saturday. I spent about 2 hours carefully washing the car not to get swirls etc. Well i dried the car and when i was about 2 feet away from the paint i could see MILLIONS of hairline scratches all running fore and aft... definitely scratches from the auto car wash that they ran it through. The car has been subject to several cleaner waxes (about 7 times throught the life of the car), 1 swirl removal by hand (unsuccessful), and 1 DACP and 1 #92.0 by PC(remember all the times I`ve used abrasives on the car). Now with these gouges in the paint im afraid to buff them out again with 3M SMR or DACP because im afraid to break the clear coat. So I guess now I am going to have to live with an ugly swirl marks and just cover it up with as much wax or zaino as i can. The dealership does not want to do anything to help me and ive basically lost all hope/ambition to keep the car looking perfect. What do you think I should do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I wouldn`t try to use SMR. Clear coats are very thin and I wouldn`t risk it. (I presume you`re referring to the `99 model)

If it were me, I`d use Z-5 and layer the heck out of Z1/Z2 until you build up a protective coating. Then I`d repeat every 2 months. Zaino has no abrasives. (your dealer obviously does:angry )

That will keep your paint protected.

You might even apply a coat or two of carnuba over the Zaino.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Since all your abrasives have been applied by PC or by hand I seriously doubt you are anywhere near going through the clearcoat. The PC simply does not have enough bite to remove large amounts of clear. Plus none of the products you mentioned are very agressive.

I think you will be fine polishing if you choose to do so.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Since all your abrasives have been applied by PC or by hand I seriously doubt you are anywhere near going through the clearcoat. The PC simply does not have enough bite to remove large amounts of clear. Plus none of the products you mentioned are very agressive.

I think you will be fine polishing if you choose to do so.

Thank god! this is exactly what i wanted to hear. I will not be taking it to any dealerships anymore so no need to worry about it getting heavily swirled again. Thanks for brightening my day Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s No. 92?

Body Shop Line

81 Hand Polish

82 Swirl Free Polish

83 DACP

84 Cleaner

85 Diamond Cut

Pro Line

1 Medium Cut

2 Fine Cut

4 Heavy Cut

9 SMR

Unless you used the diamond cut - which I doubt as it would have hazed your entire vehicle with the use of a DA, I wouldn`t be at all concerned about going through the clear. Unless you have wetsanded previously (orange peel etc.).

With a SMR, you can safely polish 3 times a year for many many years without getting the point where your clear could be compromised.

If you are using a Rotary though, that`s a different story though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,

Those type of scratches from car washes can`t be gotten rid of with a PC which in my book is a rotory with diapers and training wheels. The difference between 3m mequires and the others really become clearer with those type of scratches.

I would try 3m Finesse it with a rotory to try and remove those scratches. If that doesn`t work use the perfect-it compound then the finesse followed by what ever glaze and topper you like. 3m finesse is specifically designed to remove scratches when used with a rotory.

I am not really knocking PC`s just pointing out they are not able to get those type of scratches out. They are great for applying glazes and waxes though.

That really really sucks what happened to you...good luck with it.
    Ferrari in 2007!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, use the least abrasive pad / product combination first and work you`re way up.

SMR first (SFP), then 3M Perfect III, DACP. If you can`t get them out, look to a pro or pay to have Scottwax come out and do it by hand for you

The DACP breaks down quite quickly and shouldn`t be a problem. Also, you might want to try the new 3M (not so new actually) Perfect III products. They are reformulated to deal with today`s clears. Breaks down nicely and easily and brings out a nice high gloss with minimal effort.

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paco

What`s No. 92?

Body Shop Line

81 Hand Polish

82 Swirl Free Polish

83 DACP

84 Cleaner

85 Diamond Cut

Pro Line

1 Medium Cut

2 Fine Cut

4 Heavy Cut

9 SMR

Unless you used the diamond cut - which I doubt as it would have hazed your entire vehicle with the use of a DA, I wouldn`t be at all concerned about going through the clear. Unless you have wetsanded previously (orange peel etc.).

With a SMR, you can safely polish 3 times a year for many many years without getting the point where your clear could be compromised.

If you are using a Rotary though, that`s a different story though.

He meant #9 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stuart hicks

Al,

Those type of scratches from car washes can`t be gotten rid of with a PC which in my book is a rotory with diapers and training wheels. The difference between 3m mequires and the others really become clearer with those type of scratches.

I would try 3m Finesse it with a rotory to try and remove those scratches. If that doesn`t work use the perfect-it compound then the finesse followed by what ever glaze and topper you like. 3m finesse is specifically designed to remove scratches when used with a rotory.

I am not really knocking PC`s just pointing out they are not able to get those type of scratches out. They are great for applying glazes and waxes though.

That really really sucks what happened to you...good luck with it.

You completely misunderstood my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    S`Funny .. I`ve removed no end of swirl marks and scratches with a PC/cutting pad and DACP or SMR.

Must be my `Magic Fingers`.

Rotaries I use for cutting in new paint with G4 and sorting out nasty problems.

Sure its faster, its also a damn sight easier to make a mess of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AlBoston

You completely misunderstood my post.

Yeah, Al, I see that you were just looking for encouragement. A few months ago, when I first met who would be now my wife, I stayed overnight and parked in the wrong spot, and my car was towed. And you want to talk about scratches. The magnetic lights they put on my roof made some scratches which almost made me cry. But two applications of 3M SMR with a cutting pad and the PC got them out. And I haven`t had any problems with my clearcoat yet, and I`ve polished 4 or 5 times now with 3M SMR since I got the car 3 years ago.

So, have at it, and make the ML the way it was before you took it to the dealer.:up

Post Thanks / Like
    But... He said that his car was filthy before he took it to the dealer. :p

Post Thanks / Like
    When my BMW dealership did this for the 3rd time after I told them NO CARWASH, I spent the weekend detailing out the swirls, and set them the bill!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DETAILKING

When my BMW dealership did this for the 3rd time after I told them NO CARWASH, I spent the weekend detailing out the swirls, and set them the bill!!

LOL!!! Did they pay it??

Al, don`t worry about the scuff marks. Go ahead and bust out the PC and go to town. I just bought some PI3 Machine Glaze and will send you some if you want, PM me. Steve raved about this stuff so I gotta try it too.

Pretty funny about the Scottwax suggestion. I for one have faith and confidence in you. I`m sure the ML will look great when you`re done.

- - Bret - -
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

LOL!!! Did they pay it??

YUP.....150 bucks........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information