Thread: The slickness

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you keep the slickness of a freshly waxed car for a longer time? Mine last a couple of days and thats it. BTW Meg. CW liquid

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of wax are you using? The normal method is to use a QD.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    To obtain a very slick surface you need to clay during the prep stages before waxing and then to keep the surface slick do as Lowejackson say QD

Post Thanks / Like
    You didn`t mention if you had washed your car between being waxed and now. If you had maybe it`s your auto shampoo? Generally, liquid carnauba waxes seem to have the shortest "just waxed feeling" life of all waxes. Check the reviews area for some feedback on some other waxes and of course you could search the site for some suggestions. Be warned, there`s a ton of information here and a search on just wax will return hundreds of threads to weed through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you are using Meguiar`s Cleaner/Wax, you may enjoy Quik Wax after washing as a way to keep the slickness up. It will also extend the life of the carnauba. You should be able to find it wherever you get your Cleaner/Wax from.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) quality car shampoo

2) good quick detailer (perhaps one with carnauba in it)

3) sorry to say, better quality, more durable wax (Blitz is good, P21S, 3M even). Or perhaps more of the same wax (like 2-3 coats).

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Meguiars not that good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by F94Ranger

That is a question that is always in discussion here. I personally believe that Meguiar`s make some pretty descent products in their consumer line, but the quality improves greatly in the Professional line.

When I used meguiar`s consumer line, the longest I ever noticed a nice shine, slickness and protection was about two weeks. I came here and read the plethora of info and decided it was time to go to a Sealant... Because of what I want to pay and ease of use, not to mention the durability issue, I chose Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant.

If you want to maintain that slickness, you`ll either have to QD often or switch to something that has a bit more durability.... ie a sealant.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard! :up

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not that it`s not good in terms of shine (not the best either), but there are many choices in things that may be more durable. Any may work better for your current situation. (let`s say your water is particuarly harsh or something). It might take a different approach to achieve what you want (which in this case is durability).

Try another product and two and determine if it`ll make a difference or not. There`s a good chance (great even) that you`ll find a product that is not only a lot more durable but looks a lot better.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by F94Ranger

This question is a bit too general. Meguiar`s, as a company, makes many good products. But the one you happen to be using, Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax, never had long lasting durability as a priority to begin with. As a one-step cleaner and wax, it has to make this compromise.

If you want a slick finish and keep it that way, definitely clay the car first no matter what wax you use. Then you can apply your cleaner wax and use a QD after every wash to revitalize it a bit. This won`t make the wax last forever though. Some people even QD their car daily.

Alternatively you can buy a longer lasting wax, but it will probably require a bit more prep to use "properly". Meguiar`s Pro line #26 is a good example and easy to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome! I was just concerned with the feel of a fresh wax job, the looks havent changed much since the waxing. Im looking into starting my own biz and want to make a good lasting impression on my customers, but being in college at the time makes $$ a huge limiting factor... I will look into #26 though, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum!:wavey

If I were you, I`d switch to sealant. I`m only in high school, but I use Zaino and s100.

Well, if money`s an issue, then I second Meg. #20 Sealant. It`s only $9, and will last longer than anything in their consumer line!

Paint prep is the key for slickness.

I would Dawn wash, clay, paint cleaner, then #20.

Oh, and be sure to QD(Mother`s Showtime or EO WET Wipe `n Shine are very good.) after every wash(Meguiars Gold Class is a great, inexpensive wash).

Hope this helps!

:xyxthumbs
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Thread Information