Thread: Polish question

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this will finally be my last post that could set me straight about this topic. Ok, first I planned on using DACP then Swirl Free Polish to remove the light swirles on my black paint. Then I was told to try something less abrasive first, such as #9 or SMR. Then I was told these will just hide the swirls but not remove them like I wanted. If I were to try to remove swirls by hand what should I use. Or if I dawn washed after applying SMR or #9 would I get rid of the fillers? What I was thinking was to dawn wash then use AIO to remove the protectant from the Automate that is on my car, then move to an abrasive, then whether or not the product contained fillers, wash again, then do AIO again and then finally 3-4 coats SG. Any comments on this? Much appreciated as I am super confused on this. I want to do this right the first time!! Thanks!

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    I consider #9 to be for removing compounding haze (Swirl Free Polish is the equivelent of #9 in the Meguiars BSP line) and more removing ever so minisclue swirls.

You won`t remove swirls with #9, but if you can hide them effectively, the less paint you remove the better. If you have swirls of any magnitude over very slight I say go for DACP.

http://www.properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html

Post Thanks / Like
    DACP is the most aggressive of all these products and should be used first. It will remove most all of the more serious swirls but may leave a few micro swirls behind which is why you follow it up with something milder.

#9 and SFP are going to give you virtually the same result. It`s a toss up between them. They both remove minor swirls and both have a certain amount of fillers and oils in them. So the real questions is how much of this stuff do you want? #9 comes in 16oz bottles and SFP comes in quarts.

I don`t see the point of AIO before polishing. Whatever is on your car will be removed by the DACP and other polishes. It`s a waste of product & time to AIO before this.

Don`t worry about all this stuff. As you said, it`s your first time. Detailing is about experience and technique and all this theorizing means nothing. Get off yer butt and start working on your car! :xyxthumbs

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

Get off yer butt and start working on your car! :xyxthumbs
    Hey! It finally quit raining and I plan to. Only remaining problem is the 30 degree temperature. Might be a little warmer in Hotlanta??

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up buying some Medallion Paint Cleaner. Meguiars recommends using another mild polish after the Medallion to get rid of the micro swirls created from that application. What I want to know is, would AIO work in this situation??

Post Thanks / Like
    What is DACP, AIO, SFP ?? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by baltic

What is DACP, AIO, SFP ?? :nixweiss

Go to the Home Page. Read Autopia Acronyms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up buying some Medallion Paint Cleaner. Meguiars recommends using another mild polish after the Medallion to get rid of the micro swirls created from that application. What I want to know is, would AIO work in this situation??

Anyone??

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO: can help to remove oxidation but it does not remove swirls.

AIO stands for All-In-One which basically means cleans and protects. For you this means you will be able to see the swirls better.

It is very difficult to remove swirls by hand and that is why you see so many post concerning a PC. Taxlady did her Volvo by hand and did a very good job Check out her site and review her post for the method she used. Now we all know Scottwax can remove swirls by hand but that takes the talent one gets from years of hard work.

Thread Information