Post Thanks / Like
    I unknowingly hit some new yellow road paint that had just been sprayed--without any notice from the fine PennDot crews outside Philly. Luckily it is pretty minor--very small spots on rear bumper. I tried using some Mother`s clay and it removed some of it, but still have a lot left. Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Get on it with some Mother`s Pre-Wax Cleaner, or 3M SMR. I have used those two to great success for that purpose in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    also may try a bug and tar remover...?
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it fairly fresh? I had absolutely no luck getting those spots off my rocker panels.

The highway department recommended diesel fuel. I couldn`t find any. Some Autopians told me that kerosene was virtually the same, but that didn`t work either. Mine may have been too old when I tried it. It couldn`t hurt to give it a try.

Someone posted that Goof Off was really strong and not to use it on cars, since it takes off paint. That`s going to be my next try. I`ll be doing that outdoors `cause there is xylene in the stuff I`ve got and that`s more than a little toxic.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some Stoner Tarminator and a good terry towel. You will have to most likely go over the area with a scratch remover/polish and re-wax. Should come off OK. Used this on a Black Lincoln Mark VIII which had yellow road paint down both sides behind the front wheels. It had been on there for several months but all came off.

Patrick
    Chewy what part of the country do you live in ? This will depend on whether or not its a solvent based or water based paint. In So Cal, were required by law to use a water based paint when we stripe local roads and highways....Your best bet is ol fashioned elbow grease and a couple bars of clay. Also, another source of success is a citrus based cleaner, (Bug and tar) get it at the local janitorial supply store, its MUCH stronger than the kind you get at auto stores. Apply cleaner, wait several agonizing minutes, and wipe with a cotton cloth. May need to do this several times. Like any cleaning product, try it in an inconspicuos place first. I had a friend whos wife ran over a can of paint and covered a good area of her Saturn wagon.......Best of luck !! You`ll be tired !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Or a different grade of clay from a profesional auto paint supplier. Be careful because the harsher grades can be fairly abrasive.

After using goof off around the house, it is so effective I would NEVER use it on an automobile finish.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Langka should take it off with no damage to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions. Patrick--I live outside Phidelphia, so I suspect the paint is solvent based. I will experiment with all of your suggestions and will post outcomes asap. Have rain forcasted for the next few days, so I wil not get to it for a week or so, but will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

chewy

Post Thanks / Like
    Chewy, I picked up some white line paint while traveling I-95. It was splattered down the side of my white `02 Suburban. Fortunately(?)I had detailed the day before and I think this helped greatly with the paint removal. I clayed using lots of lubricant and patience. After claying I re-Blitzed. Btw- I threw away the piece of clay because it was full of scratching paint particles. Bill

Thread Information