Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, although I am new to the forum I have been visiting for a little over a month and here are my questions!!

1 week ago

I just recently purchsed a 2k2 Lexus LX470 with a Golden Pearl exterior and ivory interior (golden pearl=not a true white but considered white) I had scotch guard put onto my car to protect it from little rocks and other debri. When I picked up the SUV from the dealership they put a clear coat on my SUV. They told me that I didn`t need to wax the car at all for about 2-3 months. ( I live in Colorado Springs, CO and its pretty hot here now) This seemed very odd as I had never heard of this. If anyone knows about this new paint and the added clear coat please let me know!! Also if I can Wax the car, I don`t have any products what so ever. I am probably going to buy from properautocare.com, and I have been looking at the following, but I am not sure about which products to use for the exterior color. I am also crazy stuck on what to use Polymer or Carnuba, I used to use a Deep Crystal Paint cleaner from Meguires, and then finish with Gold Class.

I don`t really have a lot of time and I like the fact that the Polymers don`t require a lot of attention. ps- Do I need to polish the car since it is so new?? The paint is so smooth and free of imperfections that I can feel.

Also I had NO idea that you should wait until the "haze" forms

Exterior:

1.) Pinnacle Body Work Shampoo

2.) Tire Cleaner = Eagle One

3.) Polish = Pinnacle body lotion

4.) Wax- Blitz? Klasse? Blackfire? Pinnacle Liquid Souveran?

5.) Sheepskin washmitt

6.) California Water Blade & Big Blue Drying Towel

7.) Some kind of QD...not sure.

8.) Meguires Endurance Tire Gel

9.) OXO Ergonomic Wheel Brushes

10.) Small Foam applicators for the polish and wax

11.) Tire swipes

12.) Lexol Vinylex, Lexol Leather cleaner,Lexol Leather conditioner

13.) some kind of towels to buff the wax/ and polish off??

Did I miss anything please let me know you opinions...ahh ps-

I am only willing to give up about 2 hours a week for detailing, and maybe once a month about 3-4 on a sunday......Just to let you know my committment level!!!

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I just checked out the above post and checked out the old thread. It didn`t relate to what I was asking, as the car is a different color. Ps- My LX will be parked outside all of the time, it is a daily daily!! driver.

1.) What about the clear coat, do I need to even polish the SUV before applying wax??

2.) Any reccomendations for the SUV as it will be out in the Sun all day and I am not sure what kind of polish and wax combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey LL!

Nice choice in cars, my Dad recently bought an `02 Land Cruiser. What the dealer probably put on the car was some type of sealant that will enhance the gloss and protection of the clear coat. The clear coat is not simply protection, and it is not applied by the dealer. Clear coating paint is pretty much a standard now on new cars, it simply involves putting a clear layer of paint over the basecoat. It adds longevity and more gloss to the paint. The sealant that the dealer put on should last a few months but it shouldnt hurt to apply whatever you want on top of it. I would first wash the car with Dawn a few times to strip it down as much as possible. After you wash with the Dawn, as long as the paint is "as smooth as glass" you should not need to do any prep work since the car is new, and has been protected since it rolled off the lot. On a white daily driver, I would go with a Polymer sealant, like Klasse or Zaino. They both will give a better gloss on white than any carnauba will, they will also last a lot longer and both K and Z have layering abilities (you can keep layering the product with better results each time)

I have pictures of the Land Cruiser with Zaino, Klasse, and a Carnauba if you would like to see the differences, please PM me.

Good Luck and welcome to Autopia! :wavey
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Thanks for the great reply. I just spend a good amount of time on the Zaino Website and I just decided on the following.

Z-1- But I don`t think that I need to use this just yet, as I have such a new car. What do you think? ps- I can use the polish sealant on my stock alloy wheels??

Z-2

Z-6

Z-7

As far as everything else I plan to use the following:

*Dawn Wash for the first time and when taking off sealants.

*California Water Blade and Big Blue Drying Towel (unless you know of a better method)

*100% Cotton applicator pads for applying the polish

*Sheepskin wash mitt

*2 Big 100% cotton towels for buffing off the polish

*Tire swipes from Eage One

*Either Meguires or Eagle one Tire Gel, (unless you know of a better product)

*Some kind of wheel brushes to clean the tires and alloy rims of my LX, not sure what kind maybe OXO??

*Detailing strips kind of like the tire swipes for the trim.

*Lexol Interior Leather Cleaner, Conditioner, Vinlex Protectant?

*what should I use for the inside of windows????

If I a missing anything please let me know!!

Thanks again your a huge help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Luv Luxury

Z-1- But I don`t think that I need to use this just yet, as I have such a new car. What do you think? ps- I can use the polish sealant on my stock alloy wheels??

You DO need Z1 in order to bond Z2 or Z5 to the paint,

or,

you could buy ZFX then there`s no waiting (cure-time) between layers(up to 3 layers a day)

you can use Z on your rims , no prob.

Thread Information