Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

New Poster: Just bought `14 Audi. Looking for some help with shopping list. Pics included

Hi All,

Quick background on me. Long time lurker, been reading the forums for many years. By no means an expert, but I have detailed my own cars over the years. I currently own a PC 7424, some foam pads, various MF towels and various products. I am looking to basically start over with my inventory. Just bought a `14 Audi S4. Exterior is Phantom Black Pearl. Interior is leather, two tone. 20K miles, interior is excellent shape, exterior needs some love. Lots of swirls, some deeper scratches on the roof which I`m guessing is from a roof rack of some sort that was poorly positioned.

I would like to put together a shopping list and do a full detail over a couple days. This is a daily driver in NJ, but garaged which helps. My thoughts are the following:

1) Considering upgrading to Griot`s 6" RA Polisher. I`ve had my PC for probably 10 years and thinking I should step up to something new. Maybe I`m just looking for a new toy, but worth the upgrade?
    2) I was reading about the Meguiar`s Microfiber DA correction system. I`m thinking about using this to correct the paint. Thoughts?
    3) My normal process in the past has been, wash, clay, compound/polish, wax/sealant. I`m looking for some help on this process. I`m willing to put the time/effort in for more steps. Should I use an Iron remover on the paint/wheels? What should I use after I use the Meguair`s system? I would like to finish with a DIY ceramic coating. Looked at the Wolfgang system which looks like a nice option. Can you recommend a product for my wheels/tires? What other new fancy products am I not aware of that are worth incorporating
    4) The B pillars are in rough shape, which I guess is normal. What should I use on this to remove swirls? Same steps as paint?
    5) For the deep scratches that can`t be buffed out, I was looking at DR color chip system. Thoughts? Anything better?
    6) Product for the leather? Cleaner / Conditioner?

So my thought is I have some rough ideas in my mind to build on, but I am a completely open to ideas. This is my first Audi, so not that familiar with their paint, also my first Pearl paint. Cost is not the top priority, looking to do it right, and looking to do it myself. Pics are not terrific, but gives you a rough idea of what I`m working with. Sorry for the long post, looking forward to the help. Looking to get an order placed ASAP!

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Poster: Just bought `14 Audi. Looking for some help with shopping list. Pics included

Buying a black car says so much about the owner, a glutton for punishment.

Just a thought on the polisher upgrade. In my opinion moving to a GG6 is an upgrade over the PC, it`s a very good machine with a great company/warranty to back it up. That said, it`s capabilities aren`t hugely different from your PC, more of a lateral move if you get my drift. Don`t get me wrong it`s better but if you`re truly looking for an upgrade in DA`s you might want to look at Griot`s Boss 15 system (the entire system) or Rupes Mark II 15`s (once again the entire system). These machines are both a real step up from your PC.

There are a couple of threads running on the forum over the last couple of days that are talking about using these products as a complete system, pads, polishes, buffer, the whole ball of wax. The reasons and the examples from the people making the claims are rather compelling. I`ve been using the Boss 15 for quite a while now but have both a PC and a GG6. The work the Boss can do given the same period of time is significant, enough so that I seldom use a rotary polisher these days. I really like the Boss polishes and pads too.

I think the Polish Angel products are also definitely worth a look, especially as a last step product. PA products are pricey but sure look nice. I`ve got one of their sealants running on a vehicle for the past 6 months and it`s held up very well. I`ve also had very good results with BlackFire`s products, I really like their Crystal Seal. I would truly be remiss if I didn`t recommend you look at the Poorboy`s line, the entire line. There are few things you can`t do with Poorboy`s products, you`ll receive excellent results and at a price that won`t break the bank.

You`ll get some great recommendations here. Best of luck and enjoy the forum.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Zub79 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Poster: Just bought `14 Audi. Looking for some help with shopping list. Pics included

Hahaa. Thank you. Owned 4 black cars in a row. Wife owns white. . I enjoy "trying" to take care of them. It`s very rewarding when it`s done. At least for that week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you choose the Griot`s smaller da, get the 5 inch backing plate and use the boss pads and the fast correcting cream, and perfecting cream. If you go with the 15, just get the system as it will save money.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    If you choose the Griot`s smaller da, get the 5 inch backing plate and use the boss pads and the fast correcting cream, and perfecting cream. If you go with the 15, just get the system as it will save money.
    The meguair`s system I was leaning towards comes with a 5" backing plate. You are recommending the GG products instead? Any particular reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum
    My garage queen is black with gold
    Metal flake. Be working on her this
    Weekend

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zub79 View Post
    The meguair`s system I was leaning towards comes with a 5" backing plate. You are recommending the GG products instead? Any particular reason?

I recently bought the G21 kit. The combo of Boss MF and Boss Fast correcting cream is great. My process lately has been MF + Fast correcting cream then Yellow pad and Perfecting cream. I don`t think you would be disappointed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by austin.burnette View Post
    I recently bought the G21 kit. The combo of Boss MF and Boss Fast correcting cream is great. My process lately has been MF + Fast correcting cream then Yellow pad and Perfecting cream. I don`t think you would be disappointed
    Think this would work well with the GG 6" RA or my PC?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Zub79;2101107]Think this would work well with the GG 6" RA or my PC?

I don`t personally have experience with them on either. My other machine is a PC with 3" backing plate. On that I run LC Thin pros. However I wouldn`t see that being an issue.

Here fairly soon I plan on getting the GG6 and the 3" backing plate for it and running the Boss pads on it. Then the PC will become a backup machine.

Post Thanks / Like

If you already have a PC, I would suggest stepping up to a 15mm throw machine and outfitting the PC with a 3" backing plate for intricate work. A 21mm throw machine can do most of the work on an audi like yours, but you will find the 15 easier to manage on the fenders. The PC would then be used for bumpers, trunk and isolated areas the 15 can`t reach.

I would go with the meguiars MF compound (d300) and cutting pads, or stick within the polisher system you purchase. The meguiars MF system does very well on audi paint. Follow with the polishing system of the machine or white lake country pads with HD polish or meguiars m205

Use the 3" on the b-pillars. No need for microfiber pads for this, a medium cutting foam pad followed by a polishing pad will do. There will likely be some deeper defects left and those are best left alone. Put some PPF on them for the long term

For leather, I like leather masters strong cleaner and protection cream. I dilute strong cleaner 4:1 for normal use the full strength only as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Responses are very useful, thank you! I checked and I have the original PC, not the XP version. From the responses I guess I need to decide how much of a step up I want to take. I`ll be detailing primarily 2 cars in the family, so decided if it is worth spending the money for one of the long throw polishers. I am reading more about the BOSS products the BOSS 15 system looks appealing. Gotta think about it! Keep the opinions coming.

Post Thanks / Like

As a former Porter cable user (10+ years) you will be amazed at how good the long throw polishers are. I stepped up to a Rupes Mark I 15mm polisher last summer. It was expensive, but the balance and ease of use is phenomenal. My neighbor bought a slightly used Griots Boss 15mm machine off of craigslist and it is also really good. Either one of those machines will be well worth your time. I have had great success using HD Speed (all in one polish) and Griots last stage finishing polish to get most
    swirls out. I have used both on B pillars with no issue. I usually follow with Pinnacle hand wax for last step. Your Audi looks really nice. Hope you enjoy your next polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

I love 3D HD Speed, but if the paint on that Audi is anything like the paint on my VW (and I suspect it is), it is very hard and will require something more aggressive for anything but the lightest marring.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to try GG BOSS correcting cream and finishing cream as my 2 step correcting process. Deciding if I`ll buy a new polisher or not. I guess I can stick with GG for pads? Any specific recommendations for pads? Also need to decide on my LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you`ve pretty much made up your mind. I would have suggested buying the Meg`s Microfiber System and giving that a try on your PC. The PC might have taken a while longer but you would have gotten surprising results. After you have buffed down the scratches then you can decide whether you need DR Colorchip or not. DR Colorchip can work on scratches but it is more for actual chips than scratches. If you are not going to coat your car Poorboy`s Black Hole would be my suggestion for filling in some of those scratches that compounding does not take care of. Touch up painting is an art and it takes me longer to get a scratch perfect than it takes for me to polish a car. If the touch up is done incorrectly it can look worse and draw more attention to a minor flaw, imho.

Definately use an Iron-X/fallout remover type product before you clay. Claying only shaves off the top of the iron particles imbedded into your paint, where Iron-x dissolves the iron lodged into your paint. Enjoy your new car, I`m sure you will get it into great shape!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information