Post Thanks / Like

Finally have a DA! Preparing for first time out.

Santa finally got me a Porter Cable DA!

I`ve picked up a few things for it, but need advice on rounding out the kit considering what I`ll be doing with it first.

I need an LSP to use with the PC, not sure what to get. Something not so expensive.

Here is my meager collection:

Chemical Guys: orange, white, black Hex logic pads; backing plate for the DA; v32, v34, v36 and v38 compounds/polishes; polishing pad cleaner.
    Megs: Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, Scratch X 2.0, Ultimate Quik Wax, and the big red Quik Wax.
    Optimum Opti-clay
    3M automotive 400, 800, 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper
    Costco pack of microfibers, big blue waffle towel, hand applicators/pads.

Not shown - shampoo, etc.

---------

Here`s what I`m taking on. 2007 Honda CRV. Not well kept by prior owners, touch up paint dabbed on by dealer. I`ve only hand washed and done minor hand detailing, and touchless car-washes.

Tried to show the swirling it has, which doesn`t seem so bad:

---------------

I think I remember that one happening on the highway, something big smacked the front of the hood.
    -----

Touch up paint.
    -----

Touch up paint and scratches by door handle.
    -----

More touch up paint and scratches by another handle.

Scratches like this are in all the handle-wells.
    -----

-----

More from the hood:

-------------------------

I have no idea what to do with these door pillar trim bits. They seem to have a plastic coating over the paint, and have been beat up badly:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally have a DA! Preparing for first time out.

So, need advice on an "inexpensive" LSP to use with the DA.

And, not sure how to handle:

The touched up paint.
    Missing paint where the rock hit the hood.
    Severely scratched areas under door handles.
    Those plastic trim bits on the doors.

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Power Lock as a LSP with black pad at speed 4 on the PC will work.
    Menzerna Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant 16 oz.

As far as the door handle scratches, you may want to try the Meguiar`s ultimate polish on one of those white terry applicators.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, shiny liked this post
    Thanks shiny thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 fits the bill (can be applied with PC, lasts a very long time, and its very affordable). It`s also available over the counter at some places...

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax No. 845
    Likes shiny, mrken1, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

shiny- Welcome to Autopia!

DO NOT use that sandpaper unless you`re planning on a trip to the paintshop. Seriously. And I`m a guy who does wetsand stuff when it`s necessary. Any way I can repeat that with *MORE* emphasis?

How many pads do you have? For anything other than LSPing I`ll venture that you`re gonna need more. A lot more

And yeah, the Collinite 845 oughta be perfect, even works great on black trim (buff it off the trim before it dries).

For the tight spots, use the Ultimate Comound until you`re satisfied/tired of doing it and then follow up with the Ultimate Polish or ScratchX. DO NOT USE THE SANDPAPER.

I`d take/send the sandpaper back so it`s not even gonna tempt you. Even if you had the 2000 and 4000 which would make a lot more sense I`d recommend that you *NOT* do it.
    Likes Mary B, shiny, mrken1, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    shiny- Welcome to Autopia!

DO NOT use that sandpaper unless you`re planning on a trip to the paintshop. Seriously. And I`m a guy who does wetsand stuff when it`s necessary. Any way I can repeat that with *MORE* emphasis?

How many pads do you have? For anything other than LSPing I`ll venture that you`re gonna need more. A lot more

And yeah, the Collinite 845 oughta be perfect, even works great on black trim (buff it off the trim before it dries).

For the tight spots, use the Ultimate Comound until you`re satisfied/tired of doing it and then follow up with the Ultimate Polish or ScratchX. DO NOT USE THE SANDPAPER.

I`d take/send the sandpaper back so it`s not even gonna tempt you. Even if you had the 2000 and 4000 which would make a lot more sense I`d recommend that you *NOT* do it.
    Thanks guys.

I bought the sandpaper for headlights and also one very narrow panel on the rear gate with clear coat failure that I can`t afford to have repainted properly, going to give it a short term fix by carefully sanding and spraying clear. (strange that the clear failed only on that one panel)

I thought maybe it could be needed for those rough touch-up paint spots. Is there no problem in just using the PC across those?

Also, any thoughts on that deep rock chip? Or those black plastic coated door pillar pieces?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Thanks guys.

I bought the sandpaper for headlights and also one very narrow panel on the rear gate with clear coat failure that I can`t afford to have repainted properly, going to give it a short term fix by carefully sanding and spraying clear. (strange that the clear failed only on that one panel)..
    Before touching paint with the sandpaper, you might try to PM autopian "Xtremekustomz" for advice on how to DIY stuff like that or start a new thread directly addressing that project.

I thought maybe it could be needed for those rough touch-up paint spots. Is there no problem in just using the PC across those?
    Don`t sand those, just use the PC with the compound.

Also, any thoughts on that deep rock chip? Or those black plastic coated door pillar pieces?
    I`d probably recommend (hard to know what to tell others...) that you touch up the chips with DrColorchips only use it like conventional touchup paint instead of using their "smear it all over" directions.

For the plastic, I polish them like paint BUT..I have a compound that works well on plastics and I don`t know what`ll happen if you try that on yours. If you start a thread about it there`s quite possibly somebody here who has a good answer. Whatever you do, DO NOT let any product dry on plastic or it`ll be hard to get off, buff off while still a little wet, which you oughta do with your compound/polishes anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Collinite 845, easy to spread and the bottle will last you years since really you`d only be applying about twice a year only (unless you do something to remove it.) Get yourself some of those finger pocket applicators, they are great for applying LSP and I personally prefer it over using a machine since I have more control over application in tight areas and you`ll use less product.

Gold Wax Finger Pockets
    Likes shiny, jojo69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again!

Turns out the black "plastic" on the pillars are actually vinyl stickers!

Like this: DIY: Replacing B Pillar Vinyl - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Not so expensive to replace, but appears to be a big pain in the rear to remove the other seals and trim pieces to re-apply each sticker properly. At least one of these seals is stuck directly to the sticker with some kind of adhesive. In that thread, they did what I`m thinking - pull back whatever seals are easy enough, trim off the excess vinyl where the seals/trim can`t be easily removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really an LSP to use with a DA but e new Meguiar`s Ultimate Fast Finish is easy to use. Check out my review and Justin`s.

Ultimate Liquid Wax is another good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

shiny- Ah, that`s good news about the pillar trim. And yeah, aiming for "good enough"/practical expenditure of effort oughta do just fine IMO. Remember that it doesn`t have to satisfy anybody but you

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new polisher and supplies! Enjoy getting started in this passion. I think you have just the right amount of CG polishes, don`t think all polishes are like CGs many are so much better. You can use the CG polish on your headlights after sandpaper (you may not need the sandpaper). I would like to suggest clay or a clay substitute and an iron remover product like Iron-X. If you use it enough times it may remove the rust in some of the places that are down to the metal prior to touching up. Again congrats and welcome.

Thread Information