Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried a lot of different products but nothing works, might just have to replace it.

This is some sort of flaw in the plastic steering wheel from a `76 Carrera. I`ve cleaned it with all sorts of chemicals and tried coating it to even it out or minimize the stain or flaw. This is the way I got it a number of years ago so I don`t know why it looks like it does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`ve tried a lot of different products but nothing works, might just have to replace it.

Do you think you can sand it? SEM makes some great flexible texturing spray and flexible paint. It might be worth a last ditch try.

Otherwise there are some nice period momo wheels. I have one on my 928.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`ve tried a lot of different products but nothing works, might just have to replace it.

Good first post walt. I`ve had good luck with SEM paint in a Porsche interior with similar defects. Prep is key, to get the years of Armor All or whatever out of the pores. I was ecstatic with the results, and that`s black, in a non-use area (`cept for the occasional horn beep), so it`s a safe bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt_mink View Post
    Do you think you can sand it? SEM makes some great flexible texturing spray and flexible paint. It might be worth a last ditch try.

Otherwise there are some nice period momo wheels. I have one on my 928.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Too valuable to go for non original parts. Will look into SEM, just concerned it might make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Good first post walt. I`ve had good luck with SEM paint in a Porsche interior with similar defects. Prep is key, to get the years of Armor All or whatever out of the pores. I was ecstatic with the results, and that`s black, in a non-use area (`cept for the occasional horn beep), so it`s a safe bet.
    Thanks. It almost looks like a minor defect, more than a stain. I might be wrong, but at least on the horn section it looks like a defect.

Post Thanks / Like

walt_mink- Welcome to Autopia! Fellow 928 nut here, had ?what?...four of `em back in the day (IIRC). Hard habit to break, but I finally gave it up

What`s yours? year/color/trans/etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Too valuable to go for non original parts. Will look into SEM, just concerned it might make it worse.

Yeah, I get that for sure, but if it`s headed to the trash anyway then it`s worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    walt_mink- Welcome to Autopia! Fellow 928 nut here, had ?what?...four of `em back in the day (IIRC). Hard habit to break, but I finally gave it up

Ha ha ha - yeah, I can certainly see wanting to give up. I have an `82 Wine Red, 5 speed with almost no options. I inherited it from a close family friend, so it`s special to me, but it`s also a pain in the butt. Here`s my (not recently updated) thread on Rennlist.

Project Gary

It`s off to paint soon and then I can start reassembly. I have every nut and bolt out of it and am going to take them off to be replated tomorrow. Can`t wait to dig back in.

Post Thanks / Like

Walt_mink- Good heavens, that`s quite an impressive project! Gary would be proud of you; good on you for giving it what it needs and savng it (I have a full appreciation for what those cars can need ).

GORGEOUS color...and yeah, the manuals are nice in those, didn`t care for my one automatic even though I often lean that way on GT cars.

OK, OK..back on-topic

Post Thanks / Like

OK, OK..back on-topic
    Right - sorry about that bcgreen.

Post Thanks / Like

walt_mink- Eh, all *My Bad*, not yours.

bcgreen- With it being so old I bet it`s just oxidized to the point of no return. I have some rubber bits on the (not nearly so old) Audis that are like that and *nothing* brings `em back the way I`d like.

I trust you`ve tried prepping it with Griot`s Rubber Prep, without success.

If you try recoloring it with something like the SEM, be sure to overkill the prep work. And even then I`d hope the horn doesn`t get used too much. SEM worked pretty OK for me back in the day, but it`s still "painting something that doesn`t like to be painted" if you get my drift.

Wonder if one of today`s "renew that trim!" miracle products might do it..eh, that`d make it even harder to prep for the SEM if it didn`t turn out though.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t tried Griot`s.
    Wish I knew if the `renew` did indeed work. Don`t want to make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, have you ever seen this book: Ultimate Auto Detailing, by David H. Jacobs?

There`s a section picturing George and Kathy Ridderbusch`s `79 928 that they showed at concours.

The products and procedures in that book are so outdated, it`s almost a like nostalgic time capsule of detailing, but it`s the one I paged through time after time back then (mid-1990`s).

There are a few photos of the 928 in there, and, if I remember correctly, George pulled the motor, just to freshen up the engine compartment. "If you want your car to be different, clean everything!"

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concourswanna b View Post
    Accumulator, have you ever seen this book: Ultimate Auto Detailing, by David H. Jacobs?

There`s a section picturing George and Kathy Ridderbusch`s `79 928 that they showed at concours.
    Yes indeed, have two editions of it Not the one you pictured though. And yeah, that 928 caught my attention as I got my first copy back before I could own things like a 928.

And BTW, PCA Concours competetion always impressed me, especially how the factory entry (based on a new, undrived car) never wins (at least they hadn`t back when I followed such stuff). Whole different definition of "concours" than what the Jag Club does...

Post Thanks / Like

Right- the old saying that "right off the showroom floor is maybe halfway ready for concours".

Pretty interesting how various clubs and shows differ, as far as what`s important during judging (JCNA vs. PCA, etc.).

I know the "preservation" classes are getting more popular, especially at Pebble Beach.
    I like a show where you see both the 100-pointers and the survivors together on the field. It adds to the experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information