Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Help with shopping list

It`s been a while since my last post (12 years), I`m also just about out of stuff I bought years ago and it`s time to restock with new vehicles joining the family:

Car list:
    2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport in Midnight Black (sparkly)
    2017 Corvette Z06 in Arctic White (once received, will be light polished then fully coated in XPel Ultimate)
    2016 Ford Mustang GT convertible in charcoal
    2008 Audi S4 in charcoal but she has some failing clear coat
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am in Navy Blue Metallic (great paint except for some semi-deep clear coat scratches I`ve not been able to get out)

Last week I ordered
    Pinnacle Black Label kit
    CG chenille wash mitts
    Eagle One surface prep mitt (have a few clay bars waiting in the wings)

My remaining inventory consists of
    1/2 bottle of PB SSR1 (all out of SSR2.5)
    3/4 bottle of Klasse AIO (33.8oz)
    3oz remaining of Zaino Z7 wash
    8oz remaining of Zaino Z16 tire gel
    2 green Sonus pads (good condition)
    2 Megs maroon foam cutting pad (basically new)
    PC with 4.5" backing plate
    Natty`s paste

Time to restock and get caught up with technology.
    Polishing- thinking of going M105 & M205 combo with 2 LC orange pads Meguiars Swirl-Free Kit for Machine Application
    I`d like to add an aggressive pad to help with a few clear coat scratches on the Trans Am. I don`t think M105 and the maroon pad will get it. How about one of the following?
    5.25" mf cutting pad 5 1/4 Inch Microfiber Cutting Pad (2-Pack)
    6.5" wool pad 6.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pad
    6.5" purple wool pad Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad

Bad stuff M105 / aggressive pad above
    Normal stuff M105 / megs maroon pad
    Finish stuff M205 / LC orange pad
    Final Klasse AIO / ??? How about LC green pad Green Polishing/Finishing CCS Smart Pads

Next step would be PBL ceramic coating

Maintenance program
    Wash with Ultima Paint Guard http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-5...l#.WH2ed8s8KhB
    (Would like to get a foam gun, but I`m burning money fast these days)
    QD for the Z06 and Trans Am Kenotek Showroom Shine http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kenot...l#.WH2gfcs8KhB
    Rinseless wash and QD Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optim...l#.WH2gAMs8KhB

Not sure what to use to boost or prolong the PBL, does CarPro Reload work? http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cquar...l#.WH2dE8s8KhB awfully expensive stuff

Any recommendations to put on top of PBL? Nattys?

So how does my process sound? Any products not like each other? Anything not work well with XPel or my car colors? Too much or too little of anything?
    Sorry for the really long post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with shopping list

Time to restock and get caught up with technology.----- I`d be looking at the 3d AAT twins. the compound is a beast and the finishing polish is a spectacular one step product... I`ve taken down some serious defects with the AAT rubbing compound and a mf cutting disc in no time

side note I`m probably one of the only people on here who doesn`t enjoy using M105/205 combo

If you got the Pinnacle Black Label kit I`d recommend some type of coating booster product. Gyeon Cure, PBL coating Booster, and other similar products depending on how much you feel like spending. I have topped PBL with just about anything you could imagine. Natty`s is great on top of PBL. If you don`t have an iron remover you`re gonna need one to decon that PBL coating every 5-6 months because it`ll get clogged quicker than other coatings based on my experience with four bottles of PBL (v1 and v2)

For the xpel`d zo6 you may want to look into Carpro Essence PLUS (IIRC that can be used on xpel)

all my opinion of course

edit: and the irony of you worried about the expensive $34 spray bottle, lol...priceless (no offense, just made me laugh)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

for the love of god do not top PBL with reload!!!!!!!
    I had terrible results every time I tried, on two different vehicles coated with PBL

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

LarryM- After using the M105/M205 twins quite a bit, I`m *VERY* happy that I switched to M101 and HD Polish. Sorta doubt that I`ll ever touch my M105/M205 again..even sold the M105 and wish somebody`d buy the M205.

And I`d sure finish out with something milder than that LC Orange.

And I`d buy a *LOT* more pads as keeping them really, *REALLY* clean is so important.

Heh heh, no worries as to the length of your post..that`s nice and short compared to most of mine

Hey, lucky you to still have some Z16! I`m saving mine for use on my good cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    for the love of god do not top PBL with reload!!!!!!!
    I had terrible results every time I tried, on two different vehicles coated with PBL
    Excellent! Thanks I figured I had a few things wrong

I`ll start looking at other boosters. Any recommendations? I see PBL Booster and Gyeon Cure mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like

So which of the following is the most preferred for heavy cutting?

5.25" mf cutting pad 5 1/4 Inch Microfiber Cutting Pad (2-Pack)
    6.5" wool pad 6.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pad
    6.5" purple wool pad Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    If you got the Pinnacle Black Label kit I`d recommend some type of coating booster product. Gyeon Cure, PBL coating Booster, and other similar products depending on how much you feel like spending. I have topped PBL with just about anything you could imagine. Natty`s is great on top of PBL. If you don`t have an iron remover you`re gonna need one to decon that PBL coating every 5-6 months because it`ll get clogged quicker than other coatings based on my experience with four bottles of PBL (v1 and v2)

For the xpel`d zo6 you may want to look into Carpro Essence PLUS (IIRC that can be used on xpel)

all my opinion of course

edit: and the irony of you worried about the expensive $34 spray bottle, lol...priceless (no offense, just made me laugh)
    Any recommendations on a decon? No clue what it is or why it`s used...guess I have more reading to do

What is Carpro Essence Plus? Just looked at it on AG and couldn`t figure out it`s use

lol about the $34 spray bottle, I`m weird like that, I put a budget on nearly everything...it might be some type of disease

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LarryM- After using the M105/M205 twins quite a bit, I`m *VERY* happy that I switched to M101 and HD Polish. Sorta doubt that I`ll ever touch my M105/M205 again..even sold the M105 and wish somebody`d buy the M205.

And I`d sure finish out with something milder than that LC Orange.

And I`d buy a *LOT* more pads as keeping them really, *REALLY* clean is so important.

Heh heh, no worries as to the length of your post..that`s nice and short compared to most of mine

Hey, lucky you to still have some Z16! I`m saving mine for use on my good cars.
    Thanks, I start researching other polishes, I see 3D AAT mentioned above, this kit looks good? 3D AAT Paint Perfecting Combo

Planning on finishing with Klasse AIO and a green pad. If I swap to AAT, maybe the Finish Polish with green pad

Regarding the pads, do you mean physically more pads or more colors? I usually have 2 pads of each color and replace when one starts showing signs of deterioration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    Thanks, I start researching other polishes, I see 3D AAT mentioned above, this kit looks good? 3D AAT Paint Perfecting Combo

Planning on finishing with Klasse AIO and a green pad. If I swap to AAT, maybe the Finish Polish with green pad

Regarding the pads, do you mean physically more pads or more colors? I usually have 2 pads of each color and replace when one starts showing signs of deterioration.
    They generally advise 4 pads of each color per vehicle- and more for trucks and vans, suv`s.

And the AAT combo is awesome, but you can get HD Polish instead of the AAT to save a few bucks and get the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

LarryM- Of the cutting pads you listed, I`d go with the MF hands-down, not even close. (note this is a specific-to-LarryM recommendation, not hating on the others.)

FWIW, KAIO is functionally non-abrasive on every autopaint I`ve ever used it on. Well...it`s *just barely* abrasive enough to mess with certain "utlimate burnishing perfection" finishes on some paints but it won`t really Finish Out. Eh, guess that`s not what you mean what with the AAT combo but I did want to mention it.

That 3D AAT combo oughta be great as long as the abrasive one is potent enough to work in a time-efficient manner.

IMO you need more pads in the sense of "at least four minimum of each color/type and that`s a minimum based on using MF for the aggressive work and assuming you can keep that MF very clean with something like compressed air. People let their pads get loaded with cut-off clear and used-up product and things go haywire as a result. By the time you notice deterioration the pad really should`ve been retired ages ago and pads should be cleaned after *very* little use...and I don`t mean "after a panel" either. Seriously, I spend at least as much time cleaning/replacing pads and inspecting my progress as I do actually polishing. I seldom do even half of a very small panel without cleaning the pad *THOROUGHLY* and IMO that was maybe the best single tweak I`ve made to my process since I started doing this stuff...took me stupid-long to wise up and figure that out! Correcting a hood might involve...oh man I can`t even put a number on how many times I`d clean the pad(s) but I`m not talking just five or six times by any means.

For a Decontamination, I`m all about the ValuGard ABC system, but most people shy away as they don`t need/want stuff that comes by the gallon. But most people these days would at least do a "ferrous contamination removal" via chemicals and/or an "above surface contamination removal" via clay or one of the "prep towels".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    They generally advise 4 pads of each color per vehicle- and more for trucks and vans, suv`s..
    IMO if every "normal person in the real world" who`s using that many would double that (at least) and force themselves to use all those pads, the results would simply astound them. Heh heh, yeah...I know how I come across on this subject (and others )
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LarryM- Of the cutting pads you listed, I`d go with the MF hands-down, not even close. (note this is a specific-to-LarryM recommendation, not hating on the others.)

FWIW, KAIO is functionally non-abrasive on every autopaint I`ve ever used it on. Well...it`s *just barely* abrasive enough to mess with certain "utlimate burnishing perfection" finishes on some paints but it won`t really Finish Out. Eh, guess that`s not what you mean what with the AAT combo but I did want to mention it.

That 3D AAT combo oughta be great as long as the abrasive one is potent enough to work in a time-efficient manner.

IMO you need more pads in the sense of "at least four minimum of each color/type and that`s a minimum based on using MF for the aggressive work and assuming you can keep that MF very clean with something like compressed air. People let their pads get loaded with cut-off clear and used-up product and things go haywire as a result. By the time you notice deterioration the pad really should`ve been retired ages ago and pads should be cleaned after *very* little use...and I don`t mean "after a panel" either. Seriously, I spend at least as much time cleaning/replacing pads and inspecting my progress as I do actually polishing. I seldom do even half of a very small panel without cleaning the pad *THOROUGHLY* and IMO that was maybe the best single tweak I`ve made to my process since I started doing this stuff...took me stupid-long to wise up and figure that out! Correcting a hood might involve...oh man I can`t even put a number on how many times I`d clean the pad(s) but I`m not talking just five or six times by any means.

For a Decontamination, I`m all about the ValuGard ABC system, but most people shy away as they don`t need/want stuff that comes by the gallon. But most people these days would at least do a "ferrous contamination removal" via chemicals and/or an "above surface contamination removal" via clay or one of the "prep towels".
    MF pad it is, I have a 20 gallon Ingersol Rand compressor and a Husky air gun so I`ll have plenty of air. I don`t particularly care for Husky tools, but this air gun is INSANE! Must own tool

My pads are pretty clean...but I won`t show them to you lol...definitely adding more to cart

Not understanding the decon, is it the same as claying/prep mitt or done in addition to? Definitely not interested in buying gallon size stuff

Post Thanks / Like

It`s chemical decon, in addition to prep mit.

See: Car Pro Iron X

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint on your trans am is the same as what is on my 02 Camaro and on my dad`s ex 02 Camaro, then it is on the hard side. I ended up using Meguiar`s D300 and their microfiber cutting pads to correct both of mine and my dad`s. Foam and M105 or M101 would not touch the defects. M205 works great on this paint as well.

You have nice collection of cars.

Sent you a PM.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

What is going to finish nicer? 3D AAT Finishing Polish or PB SSR1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information