Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this clear coat failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    xtremekustomz- Will all due respect for your incredible skills, I wouldn`t recommend that anybody do any kind of sanding...like, ever. I honestly put it in the "if you have to ask, you shouldn`t do it because you`ll trash things" category. Absolute "Don`t try this at home, kids!" stuff.

There are *countless* threads here that start "...I wetsanded my paint.." and the only response that ever fixes stuff is "take the car to a guy like xtremekustomz and pay him to fix it."

Sure, plenty of us here do it with great results, but we`re not asking Qs about it either, we learned what`s-what long ago (sometimes the hard way ).

Gee, the above must set some new record for scare-quotes, even from me
    Ha...well honestly most people don`t have the equipment to tackle such a job. I was pretty much just telling the process of how I would repair it the proper way. Having said that though, I`m a member of a collision group on facebook in which I ask questions about how the pro`s do certain things and some of the guys put me in the "if you have to ask, you shouldn`t do it because you`ll trash things" category as well. So far to this day (fingers crossed) I haven`t had to send a job I have taken on to a body shop for repair. The only way to learn is to get hands on experience and ask questions. After all this is the first paintjob I ever did other than a few small parts and pieces:

I guess my point is you gotta start somewhere! Where better than your own vehicle? I do completely understand where you are coming from though and for the most part agree. I just like trying to do things myself
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Arrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this clear coat failure?

xtremekustomz- Might not sound like it, but you and I are on the same page. I just figure that most people don`t *really* care enough to get into it as deeply as you gotta and I get bummed when people trash their clear by doing the sanding thing.

Heh heh...yeah...I still remember the, uhm...joy....of figuring it out (not *nearly* as well as you have!) back in the day, sorta wish I still had my paintguns/etc. but now I just couldn`t put the time in anyhow (that`s my excuse and I`m sticking to it ). BUT I do still usually do my own undercarriage refinish work as shops a) charge too much or b) figure that stuff down there doesn`t need to be refinished right and then one winter = back to the rusty starting line, or usually c) both.

And hey...my "rusty door seam repairs" seem to hold up great compared to how the shops do it...."we can`t guarantee it`ll last"...yeah, yeah I know, but mine last a *LOT* longer than the work that they do. SO that sort of stuff I *DO* still DIY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information