Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody refuse to clean a car without a PW......

OT, but just short of very mild dust - and I mean mild, any of ya`ll refuse to clean your car without a PW.

IMO, there is a night and day difference on how much topical dirt, etc comes off the panels via a PW versus regular hose. The less particulate I move under the mitt, the better...

Maybe it`s sign of getting older, and I`m not really crazed about spending days, hrs - polishing or cleaning, if not just daily washing. But I do like and appreciate a clean ride.....and maintaining them post polish/lsp is one of those daily chores I`ve trying to dial into a science of lsp friendly, and touchless. Hopefully, in 2017 I find the secret sauce to this routine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody refuse to clean a car without a PW......

I like using a PW when washing. But I hate having to drag it out and set it up since it is stored in my garage. If I had a setup where it was always ready to go then I would use it all the time. But my personal garage is not big enough and the wife wouldn`t like it.

On a side note there is a new low water, lower power unit coming out for mobile guys that looks promising but a little expensive.
    Likes 845guy, Bunky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get a decent electric pw, I find myself sneaking off to the coin op to do high pressure rinsing from time to time

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see how it would be cumbersome moving a 65-90lb unit around.
    im wall mounted with my hose on a large easy to spin reel . It`s not exactly easy reeling back 3/8 hose

whenever I ever get around to it , I plan on adding hot water to the garage with a valve to set the temper on the outlet feeding the pw so I can wash with warm-warmer water for those times I want heat to cut some of that film....

i was over at family for 2 days and was very tempted to wash the car , but they had no pressure washer on hand . Call me spoiled

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling folks, times it is a pain in the a$$ to use but that are times when one needs to use one. Just pickup a Karcher K3 Follow-Me Electric PW and glad for it, also got a Foam Gun for it.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to have to play with it a little more, but I can see this air injection gun replacing my pressure washer for the majority of my maintenance washes next spring. I`ve only used it once so far but it just blasted through a months worth of salt and crud with ease.

Here`s a quick video I shot of it cleaning my wheels. It`s only hooked up to a pancake compressor too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to get a power washer but I live in a condo building with a tight underground garage -- the association doesn`t allow washing of cars in the garage. I use a two-bucket rinseless wash from time to time, and while I`m technically washing a car, it uses little water and doesn`t create a mess, so nobody has said anything. But my neighbor`s cars are less than two feet from mine on either side, so a pressure washer is out of the question. Also, there is no faucet in the garage, so I`d have to run a hose from the ground level down the stairs. and over to my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use one, but not if the vehicle isn`t really dirty (pretty rare occurrence for me though).

IME there`s no need for a potent PW. After having used fairly high-spec pricey ones, I`ve been doing 100% fine with a *really* low-end AR that my wife bought me for ~$75. No, it`s not powerful enough for much of anything other than pre-rinsing the vehicles, but it`s great for that.

I just leave the hose (and I`m running a long, extended one) and the power cord laid out on the floor of the washbay, don`t bother coiling them up unless I have a good (functional) reason to. I`m the same way about the hoses and the powercord for the AirWand- they`re neatly positioned and out of the way, at least well enough that I don`t have to worry about running over fittings/plugs that would get damaged.

MobileDynamics- Yeah, IME the hot water line is truly worthwhile. What about a dedicated water heater (and even a softener ) for the shop?

And yeah...

Maybe it`s sign of getting older, and I`m not really crazed about spending days, hrs - polishing or cleaning, if not just daily washing. But I do like and appreciate a clean ride...
    Heh heh, I remember doing near-daily washing/etc. and now think I must`ve been nuts to prioritize the cosmetics of my vehicles that way :O Guess I`m kinda an extreme version of what you`re feeling, and/but I think you and I are on the same page with regard to not causing the need to do correction (for various reasons but especially the time it takes).
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll still wash without one. Depends where I am. We have some pretty good water pressure around here from the mains.

I do see your point though.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with you mobile, now that I have one I can`t see washing without it. It`s a cheap big box hardware store one, and it works better than I was expecting but I freaking hate the hose on it. It kinks and won`t coil up nicely.

The more dirt you can remove from your paint before wiping, the safer your wash, right?

Dream house would have a wall mounted unit, with a nice hose and a reel, hooked up to heated DI water. The other wall would have a master blaster with an extended hose. Oh and the car would have a magical hydrophilic oleophobic coating that would sheet water so it could evaporate by the time I`m done blowing out cracks.

Post Thanks / Like

Zeus : most big box "1/4" hose are just cheap PVC.
    It may exist, but try to upgrade the hose to a rubber one. You may need to swap fittings, etc and get a hose in 3/8 which def does come in rubber. The issue is that 1/4" hose is considered resdi. grade consumer PW hose, and a quick look, and I don`t see nil-none offering in rubber. The hose will be heavier in weight though....

Accumulator : I was thinking on typing my response, and I realized it`s a pretty simple answer. Gone are the days where I want to spend the full weekend detailing, or the mini half day wheel details - simply for the fact I`ve got 2 lil ones under the roof now, and it`s changed my perspective. I`d rather spend that time just building and making memories

Cheers and HNY all
    Likes jojo69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- I hear you on the shifting priorities. No kids here, but our dogs mean a *LOT* more to me than our vehicles.

One of the reasons I don`t obsess about my wife`s A8 is her frequent hauling of people who aren`t irresponsible, but aren`t, uhm...Autopians either. Their memories of riding with her are *NOT* gonna be all about "the car that had to be kept perfect", let alone the "b!tchy lady who fussed about her Audi". I bet you`re gonna raise your kids with a proper respect for the vehicles, but ya gotta be reasonable, huh?

Little girl riding with Accumulatorette once said "My friend`s dad has a car like this, but his is different....you can touch it". I`ve always had mixed feelings about that comment.

DetailZeus- Glad to hear your cheapie pw is working out OK. And I know exactly what you mean about the hose...that`s part of why I just let mine lie there.

845guy- I agree about the need for decent water pressure. I had to go to some pretty extreme lengths to improve it at our house/shop but IMO it was worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first post over here, but I too have an electric pressure washer that I love. No it`s not high end by any means, but I`ve attached quick connects so I can change between the pressure washer and regular hose nozzle with out spending too much time. I`ve also added a hose extension for the pressure washer so I no longer have to move it around the car with me.

I usually end up doing trucks, and using a pressure washer to get the wheel wells go much faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    ... - simply for the fact I`ve got 2 lil ones under the roof now, and it`s changed my perspective. I`d rather spend that time just building and making memories
    NICE!
    Great post to start the new year with

Post Thanks / Like

I only use a PW, far less water and far more cleaning ability.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information