Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Super White, Single Stage?

Hi,

Went for mild correction on our 2017 Toyota Sienna, in Super White.
    Used CarPro Essence on a white Hybrid pad, and a 3401. Worked like a champ.
    There were some areas of deeper scratching (thanks, Dealer!) that needed a bit more than essence could offer. Using the same White Hybrid pad, FG400 had trouble tackling the issues. Had to step over to 3D 501 compound and considerable pressure.

Since I was lazy and didn`t watch to switch pads, I couldn`t confirm if the paint being buffed came off as white (indicating single stage) or if it was basecoat/clearcoat...With a white pad and all, hard to tell.

To me, this would indicate hard as nails white single stage. But I could certainly be wrong.

This question is just for curiosity, to be honest. If this is a single stage white paint job, color me shocked. 2017 and we`re using single stage paints? Kinda cool...kinda weird.
    Anyone know for sure?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Super White, Single Stage?

If I`m not mistaken Toyota still uses single stage white for fleet vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding that "Super White" is single stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Gents. This puts my mind at ease. Being white, single stage - would make sense why it was hard as a rock.
    Gloss Coat is going on next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

yea Toyota white is the only thing I stay away from...I hear they use single stage for their white

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Thanks, Gents. This puts my mind at ease. Being white, single stage - would make sense why it was hard as a rock.
    Gloss Coat is going on next weekend.
    I would check with Ootimum before using a coating. Most are designed for clear coat. I checked into s few a couple years ago. Some said don`t do it, some said you can do it but not sure about durability. I used Ultima a Paint a Guard Plus on my mother`s Camry and got 2 years out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is, indeed, Single Stage "Super White", I understand that those paint pigments are titanium oxide, which is why it may be harder-than-normal paint.

If I recall from forum discussions "way back", you needed to use a rotary and wool pads with "rocks-in-a-bottle" abrasives to correct them. Not sure if the long-throw DA (GG Boss or Rupes Big Foot 21mm) with today`s harder foam pads and "aggressive" abrasives would work as well, but thinking it would.

I know Accumulator would recommend Finish-Kare`s 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax as a LSP for white. I am still a carnauba wax (like Collinite 476S or 915 Marque d`Elegance) guy for single stage paints.

If you do coat it, let us know how it turns out.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I know Accumulator would recommend Finish-Kare`s 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax as a LSP for white. I am still a carnauba wax (like Collinite 476S or 915 Marque d`Elegance) guy for single stage paints.
    Heh heh...yeah I would.

I generally go for waxes on single stage, but that`s *OLD*-tech ss, not the modern stuff as used by Toyota. I`d FK1000P or coat it without a moment`s hesitation.

FWIW, I always found the "ss white is impossibly hard!" to be a bit overstated. Yeah, it was a pain back in the day, but with today`s long-throw polishers and modern pads/products I wouldn`t expect it to be all that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, guys. While I`d typically use a nice wax on this...this is the "family" vehicle, and I know it will get washed less than usual. Hence, a coating. That, and warding off oxidation the easy way is certainly with a coating on a modern single stage. Right?

I reached out to OPT as suggested, and they thankfully advised Opti-Coat should be just fine on this single stage paint.
    The vehicle is corrected and ready to rock for Optical-Coat, soon. Will update with results.

As far as correction went - it was difficult to a degree...but I was just using a polishing pad. Certainly stepping up to a more aggressive pad would`ve helped. In any case, I agree - with modern tools and abrasives, it wasn`t insurmountable.

Thanks again for the help and support.
    Likes nickclark08, DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

etnops- Glad it went well, and that Optimum put your mind to ease about coating it. I bet it`ll hold up just fine, modern ss is tough stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:
    After a decon wash, Gloss Coat was applied. Went on easy enough.
    However, getting a visual on the flashing or state of the coating during the flash was quite difficult, with the paint being nuclear white. Too bright of a light, and everything was washed out...too dim, and I couldn`t get "purchase" on the visual. Contorting myself to view the single, overhead in my garage worked best to get a view on the coating during, the initial flash.

I think I`ll stick with wax, next time. This was too much work, considering.

Thanks for all of the input and help, gents.
    Likes nickclark08, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

etnops- That`s a huge part of why I`m not coating my stuff, but at least you got that one taken care of in a way that oughta last a long time.

Next time [INSERT my usual fanboy comments on FK1000P ].

Thread Information