Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Potential *pit marring* from blow drying

pretty much sums up why I can sit and wait for a better tech first. For now my trusty towel and pat dry works just fine. Sometimes if I have it on hand I use a can of compressed air to get the cracks. works fine for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymoche View Post
    pretty much sums up why I can sit and wait for a better tech first.
    It`s just semantics Ray. Good CFM - movement of air, is relative to the blower wheel....

If you want small footprint as per your other post, between cars, master blaster is the way to go....
    For me, not a fan of the cord but that`s just due to how I operate it....
    Likes imported_Cardaddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 30` hose and my MB is mounted. Very easy to handle and very convenient to use.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Ray -

We talking weight or what re: handeling.
    I`ve got a Echo Backpack blower....

But I love my Dewalt 40V blower for this application. I would not say it`s heavy , but it`s not exactly light either....that`s the price you pay for battery weight..Maybe 15 pounds as a wild guess. I am running them with either 6AH or 7.5AH batteries, which are considerably heavier than the 4AH. I just pick it up, squeeze the trigger and go. Run time is hit or miss, depending on how you use them. I would say you could do a whole care with a 4AH battery before needing a recharge. Run times are not spectacular....analogize them as like running a I6 vs. a V8 - gas guzzlers.

No extension cords to mess with, etc. No need to smell like gas, exhaust, 2 cycle hotness with the latter type of blowers.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been blowing water off cars since forever, sometimes using a compressor with questionable filtration. NEVER noted any incidence of pitting/etc. from it. Not once. Definitely not an issue with my AirWand either.

Similarly, no problems from using a pressure washer when the vehicle is utterly filthy; no evidence that it "marred the paint by forcing the dirt against it".

Yeah, I try to do this stuff at an angle and to work "in the direction of off-the-paint", but I`m sure not pulling it off all the time.
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s just semantics Ray. Good CFM - movement of air, is relative to the blower wheel....

If you want small footprint as per your other post, between cars, master blaster is the way to go....

I appreciate the advice, I don`t actually have a problem without a blower and I am not actively looking for one, and I can spend the time to build one if I wanted one bad enough. I`d like battery technology to move forward. You can tell me otherwise, but I am fairly certain that there is room for battery performance to improve.

Mechanically, I can tell you that there is very little to be done to make a compact high CFM blower that wouldnt compromise on heat, noise, etc. So yeah... I`ll look into a blower when I see something I like.

Post Thanks / Like

Considered add the Metro to the stash last week....decided not too. I thought about how I would use it, etc and it would probably be one of those things where it just kinda sits around..The blower to me, is just way more efficient in terms of drying time ....and no hose to coil back, etc. I did like the rubber tip though ;-). Just on my honeydo list to make one for the leaf blower...

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think this is a legitimate concern. I live in NE PA where they use lots of salt - and I have no idea what salt smells like - and have never smelled it in the air.

You are not damaging your car by air drying it in the winter correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ray -

You can only pack so much juice within a given sized cell.

I would not say battery technology doe not need to bemoved forwarded, as technology constantly evolves, but at this point in time, batteries are where they are.....aside from getting heavier in packing more *juice* within it`s respective voltage platform. Weight correlates as well.

It really is all about the tooling.

Aside from a detailing nut, I`m a tool wh0re....
    My Hilti Corded, Metabo Grinders, etc gather dust.

I`ve got about 30 Milwaukee Batteries on deck.
    It powers all the usual stuff like impacts drivers, but who would ever imagined Hole Hawgs, Grinders, SDS VAC controlled Drills, KO cutters, Porta Band, Lighting Systems, etc. The list goes on.

Hence, I did not buy the Metro I briefly considered...

Why go corded when I can go cordless...
    It`s all subjective at the end of the day. Some factors like ROI on batteries, etc to be considered

Post Thanks / Like

Ray -

You can only pack so much juice within a given sized cell.

I would not say battery technology doe not need to bemoved forwarded, as technology constantly evolves, but at this point in time, batteries are where they are.....aside from getting heavier in packing more *juice* within it`s respective voltage platform. Weight correlates as well.

It really is all about the tooling.

Aside from a detailing nut, I`m a tool wh0re....
    My Hilti Corded, Metabo Grinders, etc gather dust.

I`ve got about 30 Milwaukee Batteries on deck.
    It powers all the usual stuff like impacts drivers, but who would ever imagined Hole Hawgs, Grinders, SDS VAC controlled Drills, KO cutters, Porta Band, Lighting Systems, etc. The list goes on.

Hence, I did not buy the Metro I briefly considered...

Why go corded when I can go cordless...
    It`s all subjective at the end of the day. Some factors like ROI on batteries, etc to be considered
    ...okay

aside from being an engineer... im a detailing whore... i will wait until i am satisfied with the battery performance before i go buy one. not sure what our discussion is leading and i am not sure what you are trying to convince me of...

Post Thanks / Like

THIS!

The *key* with a corded (or battery powered) blower is CFM, CFM, and uhhhhh CFM. The smaller the final opening, the faster the air moving through that opening. However.... with CFM you are moving *volume* of air through an opening, (usually a larger opening than a faster `speed` blower has).

What I`ve been kicking around is building a dual electric blower setup with a 20~30 foot hose. I could do a setup where both sit in the bottom of my detailing cart, attached to a Y pipe (say a 4" PVC unit). Then do a reducer to a 2" hose (similar to what you`d find at the local coin op car wash as the vacuum hose), then do a typical conical attachment on the end of the hose. It`d be easy to build, and IF you want filtered air.... you could put the blowers (without their long extensions on them) in a plastic container with a snap on top, and mount a HVAC filter on the top so that they would only have filtered air (and you could even change the filter if/when it showed signs of dirt). I was just thinking of one without the box to put them in, but they`d fit in a box no problem. Don`t really think they`d need the filter... but hey... it`d be an option for sure.

The total build cost would be MUCH LESS than a `blaster`, with the bulk of the cost being the second blower and the hose. (Quality hoses run anywhere from $60 to $150.)

You`d end up with the ability to run it at 4 speeds. One unit running on low. Two units running on low. One on low, one on high. Both on high. The CFM and MPH would be AWESOME and it`d be something that could be put together in an afternoon (including the trip to Lower/Home Depot for parts).
    Later, Cardaddy / aka Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pologuy View Post
    Slightly off topic...

But do you guys use any specific car blow dryer out there... or do you just use a standard leaf blower, etc?

I have a Master Blaster, a Metro Sidekick, & a Kobalt 80v Li ion blower. Former owner of a Metro Air Force blower.

Master Blaster: Works well. Very powerful. However, design is cumbersome and hose is very stiff - making it a PIA to use and store. Prolly good if you have a detail shop - if not; storing it, dragging it out, and dealing with the hose and the cord (while going around a car) is a supreme PIA in my opinion. It`s now become an ornament on the shelf.

Sidekick: Great! Perfect! Bravo! Awesome for drying any little thing or blowing water out of crevices. Prolly everyone should have one of these. Design & ergonomics make it a pleasure to use.

Kobalt 80v Leaf Blower (powerful cordless leaf blower): only thing I use anymore. Simply because it`s quite powerful - and - NO CORD! Just pick it up, push a button, and use it. That`s it. Battery charges fast and lasts > 45 mins. 3 speeds - nice. Beauty of this is, you can also use it around the house to blow leaves. Not quite as powerful as a MB, but much easier and quicker to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh...seems like I`m still the only guy here using an AirWand for my forced-air drying !Oh man! do I like that thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I have a Master Blaster, a Metro Sidekick, & a Kobalt 80v Li ion blower. Former owner of a Metro Air Force blower.

Master Blaster: Works well. Very powerful. However, design is cumbersome and hose is very stiff - making it a PIA to use and store. Prolly good if you have a detail shop - if not; storing it, dragging it out, and dealing with the hose and the cord (while going around a car) is a supreme PIA in my opinion. It`s now become an ornament on the shelf.

Sidekick: Great! Perfect! Bravo! Awesome for drying any little thing or blowing water out of crevices. Prolly everyone should have one of these. Design & ergonomics make it a pleasure to use.

Kobalt 80v Leaf Blower (powerful cordless leaf blower): only thing I use anymore. Simply because it`s quite powerful - and - NO CORD! Just pick it up, push a button, and use it. That`s it. Battery charges fast and lasts > 45 mins. 3 speeds - nice. Beauty of this is, you can also use it around the house to blow leaves. Not quite as powerful as a MB, but much easier and quicker to use.

I have the handheld master blaster and it`s amazing. I actually just got done using it. It also heats up the air a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 4hp one that they now call Metro Motorcycle Air Force Blaster. It`s a must to blow out the trim and mirrors on my Audi
    Ellen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information