Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter tips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter tips

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Anyone own a WRX with snow/studded tires? Now, that is something that would make WI winters more tolerable
    Maybe the newer ones...I had a 1st-generation WRX and even with Blizzaks (exact same size/model as on the Quattros) it was mediocre at best in the winter. Yeah, I know..."rally car for the street!" but mine was utter [crap] compared to the Audis, no comparison at all. Between that and its constant need for service (which the dealer could never get right...sold it with the CEL still on after *months*) I finally gave up and dumped it.

Post Thanks / Like

One caveat that my 2003 Subaru Outback has is that the wheel well clearance with the OEM tire size DO NOT allow for chains to be installed. I`ve never used or had chains on any car, but those who have say on ice it`s no comparison. I know in mountain states that chains are required to travel through certain mountain passes, even on the interstate during bad winter weather. I understand the reason why.
    I love to watch The Weather Channel that show cars careening down very icy untreated hilly roads in the south. Gravity takes over and once a vehicle starts sliding, it`s over. 4WD trucks are the worst. How some inept winter weather driver assumes that 4WD will allow for traction going down an icy road is just that: inept inexperience and unwarranted faith in a 4WD without consideration to the tires in contact with the road surface, or more correctly the ice. Like I said, the physical laws of incline gravity and co-efficient of friction are hard to overcome; no one is immune to its effects. If I see cars stopped at various angles or crashed into one another on or off an inclined road , that should be a "red flag" indication to me that it probably is not safe to navigate down (or up) that inclined road.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- IME some "ice compound" winter tires work incredibly well on glare-ice. Like... just not a factor as long as the speed is reasonable (well, until the ice compound wears away, leaving basically an All-Season tire). Turning, stopping, just not a problem even on surfaces I can`t walk on.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter tips

All I can say is real 4WD FTW...

I don`t want no AWD or FWD when we get like 2` of snow..

The problem isn`t necessarily the grip, but how a 4WD vehicle is set up. Real 4WD SUVs and trucks are higher off the ground compared to there AWD fuel efficient cousins...

When there is a large volume of snow, and you have to get somewhere - you need to be more than just like 8" off the ground or you are screwed where I live.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- I agree with you completely! When we had both the Yukon (AWD) and the Tahoe (4WD) the difference was obvious...two very similar vehicles (about as close as they could`ve been) but very different driving experiences; the Yukon was *WAY* better...except for when it was really wintery and then there was simply no comparison.

The old-school AWD on my `93 Audi V8 is a lot better than the more civilized systems on the A8/S8 too, though I doubt many would notice. My dad`s earlier V8 was even better in this regard (but sure not in any others), with lockable/un diffs and switchable ABS; best Winter Vehicle I`ve ever driven bar none.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Anyone own a WRX with snow/studded tires? Now, that is something that would make WI winters more tolerable
    Had one here in central Indiana a 2006 with winter tires. It was drivable nothing fantastic my older explorer that was 4wd was better

Also have to consider some winter tires are not very good. I never saw a review on the ones I had on my WRX but it wasn`t my first or last car with winter tires. It was just so easy to donut the car if you wanted around a turn. Also they are so darn low anything more than 4-5 inches of snow on an unplowed road was obviously pushing it. My Prius with winter tires was almost as good but those kick in the traction control too soon to save the motor from over spinning

We have a Odyssey this year so we will see how that is on the stock michelins. But then again last year we got barely any snow never even used the snow blower the year before I was using the snow blower lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We have AWD Ford Explorers at work. They put on snow tires last winter. The difference from that to All-Season was unbelievable. Luckily our mechanic believes in swapping for winter tires. We also have an AWD Taurus that also does very well with snow tires - as long as it`s not too much snow.

I have been thinking about winter tires for my Tahoe, but hesitate because winters are hit or miss here in Southcentral PA.

Accumulator - any suggestions in winter tires for a Tahoe?

Gordon

Post Thanks / Like

I`m running the Blizzaks I`d bought for the Yukon XLD. They`re fine but yeah...if you get a mild winter expect lots of wear with Ice Compound tires.

I can`t quite remember which Snows I had on my Blazer...it was what Car-Snobs consider a "cheap crappy consumer" brand but they worked fine except on true Glare Ice. Maybe they were Firestones...yeah, that sounds right. The Tire Rack guy recommended them even though he knew I usually go with something more exotic...and overall they were just fine and a HUGE improvement over A/S tires. Current owner still uses them so they must not wear too fast.
    Likes gordonjuan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about winter tires is even if they save you from like one accident they pay for them selves. (Based on a rough $500 price of purchase and a $500 insurance deductible )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    The thing about winter tires is even if they save you from like one accident they pay for them selves.
    Absolutely, and that`s in a best-case scenario where the accident isn`t life-altering.

Same thing can be said for good Driver`s Training. [INSERT plug for VDI`s Accident Avoidance Course here]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    A good durable sealant. DP POLI COAT IN THIS CASE.
    Wheels coated.
    Glass coated.
    Trim coated.
    Engine cleaned and dressed.
    A good winter washer fluid in the resivor.

A winter kit stored in vehicle. Blanket/gloves/jacket/snacks etc...
    A fully charged cell phone!

And pray for a mild PA winter!!!

And WEATHERTECH floor liners!

This is my first time in the United States Experience winter,
    So this tips is very important to me.
    Thank you!
    Love your car as your wife碳纖維 消防公司

Post Thanks / Like

Winter tips

Quote Originally Posted by gordonjuan View Post
    We have AWD Ford Explorers at work. They put on snow tires last winter. The difference from that to All-Season was unbelievable. Luckily our mechanic believes in swapping for winter tires. We also have an AWD Taurus that also does very well with snow tires - as long as it`s not too much snow.

I have been thinking about winter tires for my Tahoe, but hesitate because winters are hit or miss here in Southcentral PA.

Accumulator - any suggestions in winter tires for a Tahoe?

Gordon
    I`m not Accum, but I run General Grabbers AT2 all year around on my Pathfinder. They are considered an "off road" tire (whatever that means).

They are fairly cheap, wear like iron, and are great in the snow... You can also put studs in them, although I`m not sure why anyone would do that - because you will never have a problem with 4WD and these tires.

Caveat is they are pretty noisy. Someone`s wife prolly wouldn`t like them.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I can tell about my new fiesta st....these recaro seats will absolutely suck with a winter jacket as I barely fit in the seats now (they`re tight) and I`m built like a q tip

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- But do you generally *wear* your winter coat when driving? I hardly ever do (and no, not all my Winter Drivers have seat heat ).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir. But I think I might alter my clothing line a little this winter lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information