Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Needed supply advice

When I first bought a good majority of the detailing supplies that I have I fell victim to the marketing/labeling of Chemical Guys. With some products being ok I`ve noticed that I`m not to happy with the V-Line products. Not really sure what direction to go in. Is there any advice on products/tools that would be good buy? I currently have the PC buffer, but from what I`ve read I`m already looking to buy possibly the new Rupes Mark II. Any and all advice is welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Needed supply advice

Please advise on credit limit before I can make a shopping list..........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs, Migue, 06vrss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously though, you can do great things with the pc, just slower.

The rest really is what you want to accomplish. Take it from the guy who buys "the latest and greatest", find some stuff that does the job you want and then maybe try a few new things, but don`t go crazy.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m thinking before I upgrade machines I definitely need to get new polish and compounds. I was looking at a couple of the HD cut and pair it with HD Polish. Seems lots of people have had good success with that. I`ll probably look to spend around 300 when I make my next buy. I`ve already found out that I need way more pads than I had to begin with (was using 1 pad per process). After that I`m just trying to get a well rounded assortment of products for different situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Pads are easy. Polishes relatively easy to chose.

Bigger questions are:

Wax or Sealant or coating.........

My suggestions to start easy:

1 lc flat pad orange
    3 " " " White
    3 " " " Black
    2 or 3 blue or red if you want

Get a few had applicators as well

PB ssr 2.5 and 1.0, or the 3d stuff you said

THen the final shine/protection as said above
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

as an owner of the pc i`ve come to love the thin pro pads by lc, also the bf duo set works really well. and if you need heavier cutting than the grey pads look into some mf cutting pads foee the pc

as for machine upgrade never used a rupes, but i just got the gg 6" and its way better than the pc
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t used coatings yet. That is the direction I would like to go to though. Once I have gotten better at the craft I would like to be able to offer multiple options for doing other peoples vehicles. In the meantime my car gets to have all the different testing done on it.

Post Thanks / Like

and in my previous post the " is ditto mark, not inches

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber pads will give you more cut without upgrading your machine. Try them with the V line before moving on. Yes, there are better polishes. Menzerma and HD come to mind quickly. Hang around here for awhile and we will help you spend all of your money. Lol
    Likes Stokdgs, JustJesus, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I`ll give those a try. I wasn`t very impressed with the orange hex-logic pad it seemed to break down really quickly. The more I`ve read of here it could have been user error as I was using 1 pad to get through the whole car (lexus IS)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by austin.burnette View Post
    When I first bought a good majority of the detailing supplies that I have I fell victim to the marketing/labeling of Chemical Guys. With some products being ok I`ve noticed that I`m not to happy with the V-Line products. Not really sure what direction to go in. Is there any advice on products/tools that would be good buy? I currently have the PC buffer, but from what I`ve read I`m already looking to buy possibly the new Rupes Mark II. Any and all advice is welcome.
    I was literally signing in to autopia to write this same thing. I recently corrected a work truck, that`s only a few years old but driven hard, using the griots garage 6" DA and CG V32 and V38. I was using two of each hex logic orange, white, and black pads. I didn`t think V32 had a lot of cutting power. I wasn`t sure if it was user error or because I wasn`t using a yellow heavy cutting pad. It really seemed to take along time to work all the defects out of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by austin.burnette View Post
    Ok I`ll give those a try. I wasn`t very impressed with the orange hex-logic pad it seemed to break down really quickly. The more I`ve read of here it could have been user error as I was using 1 pad to get through the whole car (lexus IS)
    I`ve used mostly Hex-Logic pads. Orange was great for cutting in my experience. I`m hearing complaints recently, though. Mine are from late 2014, when I bought them. I`m slowly trying out other pads, though. Seems I`m liking the Lake Country stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RI_FF/Medic View Post
    ...I was using two of each hex logic orange, white, and black pads. I didn`t think V32 had a lot of cutting power. I wasn`t sure if it was user error or because I wasn`t using a yellow heavy cutting pad. It really seemed to take along time to work all the defects out of the paint.
    I recently used a sample of V32 on a sanded panel. It cut pretty good using a Megs MF Cutting Disc. Not sure about a hex logic pad. I`ll see if I can try it out on Saturday, when I resume additional testing

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I put what felt like a lot of effort into my car. Granted it looked like the guy who owned it took it through a car wash at least once a week. It still has quite a few swirls in it. I`m going to get some LC orange pads and some Meg`s cutting pads and try the 3d cut and see how that goes. Then ill follow up with 3d polish. Then I think I`ll try PBL Coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I`ve used mostly Hex-Logic pads. Orange was great for cutting in my experience. I`m hearing complaints recently, though. Mine are from late 2014, when I bought them. I`m slowly trying out other pads, though. Seems I`m liking the Lake Country stuff
    Yea mine were bought December 2015. I`m going to try Lake Country next and see how those work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

I recently used a sample of V32 on a sanded panel. It cut pretty good using a Megs MF Cutting Disc. Not sure about a hex logic pad. I`ll see if I can try it out on Saturday, when I resume additional testing
    Hmm with that said it might be more of a pad issue than a product issue. I`ll order some new pads and give V32 another shot. If that doesn`t yield the result I`m looking for I`ll try 3D cut and finish with 3D polish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information