Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seeking advice on how to clean small front end chips of polish

JBM- Hey, that`s a great idea (assuming there aren`t too many chips and that it`s good "clean removal" tape). Better approach than tearing off irregular-shape bits as I`ve sometimes done.
    Likes JBM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I may have heard about that tip on Larry Kosillas video, not sure, but I didnt "create" it. Nonetheless, its a handy one!
    Likes mhackney liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that is a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that ive thought about it, I believe Larry was using the cut out to do the chip repair, not in reverse like i mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are good ideas. And gave me an idea for my situation. I have some 2" wide blue painters tape (the good stuff). I`ll cut a 2" long section and then fold over the long age about 1/4" and cut into 1/4" wide strips. Then I can use these like flags. The folded over end makes it easy to grip to remove. It`s working great.

Post Thanks / Like

mhackney- Glad it`s going OK.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in Rochester NY this week, a young guy in a pickup pulled up next to me and shouted over "Nice clean Porsche, I dig it!"

This was after driving 400 miles and leaving it outside overnight for 2 nights. But it does look great in the sun now. I just have to finish the "chip work" and then put a protective sealant on it. It should really shine then. My order from Autopia came in this week with the Backfire crystal sealant. I`m looking forward to trying it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in Rochester NY this week, a young guy in a pickup pulled up next to me and shouted over "Nice clean Porsche, I dig it!"

This was after driving 400 miles and leaving it outside overnight for 2 nights. But it does look great in the sun now. I just have to finish the "chip work" and then put a protective sealant on it. It should really shine then. My order from Autopia came in this week with the Backfire crystal sealant. I`m looking forward to trying it.

Post Thanks / Like

An update, none of the APCs I`ve tried remove the white spots. These are really really tiny but on this dark green metallic paint they stick out like a sore thumb. I`ve only had time to go to one FLAPS and they didn`t have the paint prep solvent so I need to look around some.

Just for experiments sake I tried the Dr Colorchip stuff on these spots knowing the color would be off. It didn`t do anything, just wiped completely off. These are REALLY small specks. I tried multiple techniques and none of the Colorchip would stay in/on the spot. I hope the paint prep solvent works. I spent a lot of time working on the car and to get this far. These spots are much more noticeable than the oxidized finish I had before. Probably a good washing and then a coat of black fire crystal seal would have looked better and been far less work.

Post Thanks / Like

mhackney- Aw man, that must be frustrating! With any luck the solvent will take care of the white residue, and maybe help the DrColorchip paint to stick.

You try using the DrColorchip paint as if it were conventional touchup paint? As in, not wiping (at least not much) with their leveling solvent..that`s how I usually prefer to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I tried that too. But even if it did work the color is way to blue and so I was only doing this as a test. I just tried isopropyl alcohol and that had no effect. I think these are just so small that these solvents/cleaners don`t wet them. I tried letting the APC sit for 5 minutes and massaged gently into the area with my finger tips but that didn`t seem to work too well either.

Do you have any recommendations for the solvent? I see that 3M`s is water based.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have some paint scratch touch up paint that is spot on color wise. But is not like the Dr Colorchip in the way it applies. I just used a tiny microfiber brush to spot a dozen spots a few minutes ago. It leaves more on the surface around the spot. After drying, I`ll hand polish smooth down to the surface. Are there any recommended polishes that don`t leave a white residue or are easier to remove if they do? Now knowing this, I suppose I could try an APC immediately after polishing while it is still moist and that might make it easier to remove.

I did just email DrColorchip to tell them that my order several years ago was off color but that paintscratch has a good match and if they can do something to match that.

Post Thanks / Like

The Dr. Colorchip people have been very helpful and you might be able to send them a dab of the color you have for them to give you an exact match. Their customer service is very good and knowledgeable. Tell them what you are experiencing and I bet they have an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, yes that is what I did. They do say that they will color match if you send a sample so I could easily do that. Then they could adjust their formulation for all those other Moss Green Metallic Porsche owners!

Post Thanks / Like

Isopropyl alcohol on a Q tip light rubbed in a circular motion seems to be working on some of the white spots but not all. Seems like the small ones are removed but the slightly larger ones are not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information