Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1931 Chevy Detailing

Ok, it`s been a little while since I posted any updates here.

So I worked on the two rear fenders and the trunk during the evenings this week and got some pretty spectacular (IMO) results.

It is very apparent that I will need to wetsand the trunk but that will come later.

So I combined and put captions on the images for the write up portion. BIG thanks to Dan F and LEDetailing for suggesting Megs #7 and the #7 Rub Down technique, I think it made a huge difference.

Side note: I am currently working on getting it registered using plates from 1931 if anyone has experience with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coming along nicely

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that`s looking *good*.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I haven`t posted anything about the car because well.... nothing has happened!

However, yesterday after having the starter rebuilt, I got everything hooked up and turned the old car over! The radiator is leaking (hope its just a hose!) and I must`ve flooded the carburetor but by golly it will run!

That has been a pain in my side since I brought the car down. Here is a picture of the pole shoes in the starter pre-rebuild.

As far as detailing goes, well it`ll need another bath soon and I still need to clean three of the wheels up.

Nothing going on with the car this week as I will be painting my garage tomorrow!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes RaysWay, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FIDOAG14- Appreciate the update, you don`t see much stuff like the inside of that starter these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator,

Glad you liked it! I know it`s not detailing related but I found it interesting. Working on things like that are fun and infuriating at times. Once I got the starter back I still couldn`t get it to work! So I went through the switch and the pedal mechanism that engages the starter. Took some doing but finally got the switch to close the circuit. I love this car for a lot of reasons but everything being mechanical really makes it fun. That starter is really pretty simple and yet quite sophisticated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    ... Took some doing but finally got the switch to close the circuit. I love this car for a lot of reasons but everything being mechanical really makes it fun. That starter is really pretty simple and yet quite sophisticated.
    Yeah, that`s a big part of what I like about it too!

Glad you were able to sort out the starter. Now we`ll see about that coolant leak...

Post Thanks / Like

Just one reason I miss my older cars (carburetor simplicity!). Neat seeing the inside of that starter

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t say I miss carburetors...all my FI systems are as reliable as sunrise with virtually zero maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh. Yes, that is true with me as well. So why the heck do I miss them? Feeling nostalgic, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least you`re not forsaking manual transmissions yet the way some of us have

Post Thanks / Like

WHAT?!? Say it ain`t so!

(I found myself driving my Jeep more and more. It gets like half the MPGs as my Yaris. And? It`s automatic!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulatorette held out longer than I did, she didn`t have an automatic until the A8. Other than rentals and one of my Benzes, she basically never even *drove* an automatic until well into [a certain age-range].

I quit driving sticks when I had knee issues and found I didn`t really miss all the work. Note that I match the spread/dbl-clutch/etc. every downshift so even quick errands always turned into an "exercise", and so few of today`s cars are set up properly for heel & toe (yeah, I`ve done the pedal-mod thing on more than a few ).

These days it`s kinda a moot point anyhow IMO, what with all the fancy automatics they`re making.

(Pet peeve- people who think that folks who have automatics can`t drive a stick...some who`ve given me [crap] about it couldn`t make it around the block without synchronizers doing all the work for `em.)

FIDOAG14- Does that Chevy need double-clutched for UPshifts?

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator,

There is no synchro so you probably should... I have found that typically if you hold the clutch in about a half beat longer though the gears mesh up just fine. Of course, you must double clutch while down shifting.

Just the way I do it, could be wrong! But I don`t get *much* grinding if any with that method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ... Note that I match the spread/dbl-clutch/etc. every downshift so even quick errands always turned into an "exercise", and so few of today`s cars are set up properly for heel & toe (yeah, I`ve done the pedal-mod thing on more than a few ).

FIDOAG14- Does that Chevy need double-clutched for UPshifts?
    That is cool. Accumulatorette has some skills. I remember that story you once posted about her doing some evasive maneuvers.

Your "exercise" takes real discipine, to drive that way pretty much all the time. But coming from you, I`m not at all surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Just the way I do it, could be wrong! But I don`t get *much* grinding if any with that method.
    I`ve only heard of double-clutching, never had the chance to do it. Some day, perhaps.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information