Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Do ceramic paint coatings prevent swirls?

This has been a topic I have been seeing all over, but never properly discussed. People ask, do coatings prevent swirls. Then someone answers, well if the hardness is 9H (mohs), then its hard then clear, then it prevents scratches.

But who says hardness has any relation to scratch prevention? What about flexibility and surface tensions? No coatings boast their surface energy, or lack of. They all talk hardness and 9H, just like sealants boasted Teflon back in the day. But we soon learned, Teflon was useless. Is 9H or hardness really a DIRECT relation to scratch prevention? Or is there something more to this? I went into further detail in my article asking do ceramic paint coatings prevent swirls on It`s Better Waxed.

But, I want to hear it from you guys.

Do ceramic coatings prevent swirls? Why?
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.
    Long Island`s Paint Correction Detailing
    Opti-Coat Pro Certified & Cquartz Finest Installer

Likes Oldfordisbetter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do ceramic paint coatings prevent swirls?

From what I understand, coatings are not nearly thick or heavy enough to prevent swirls. Some light marring, sure. That`s about it. They`re there really as a barrier between chemical issues like water spot etching and bird bombs but most coatings can be very easily polished away by hand, and therefore Anything that would cause swirls would easily penetrate the coating and inflict the same damage.

Could be wrong, but that`s my general understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen any proof that they help with swirls/spider webbing. Interesting thread for sure. I know some coatings advertise scratch resistant, but like I said, I have never seen proof of this. And even if they do decrease the chance of swirls slightly, it doesnt mean you still shouldnt be very careful when washing the car... I know some detailers advertise Permanent, scratch resistant coatings....makes me wonder how many customers are going to be disappointed in a year?

Post Thanks / Like

Technically yes, why? They provide better more adhesion resistance. In other words they them selves might not stop scratches caused by washing but they do release road sediment easier. This translates to a better release of debris in a pre-wash (pressure wash) before any mitt contact. Less debris equals less physical abrasion which means less swirls from washing.

As as far as scratch resistance, I`m sure it`s better then traditional cc, plus your essentially swirling the coating (if applied thick enough) an not the cc.

Post Thanks / Like

Do ceramic paint coatings prevent swirls?

No. Coatings scratch as easily if not more so than factory clear coats. It`s a marketing myth. Especially if applied wrong which unfortunately is a common problem. Imo the best argument for coatings is they offer the best sacrificial layer compared to other conventional alternatives but they are in no way scratch or swirl proof
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Driver is correct

The Silver Fox is incorrect, regarding the OP question. He is correct that coatings are not "swirl proof".

Post Thanks / Like

No coating is tested for Mohs hardness. They are tested for pencil hardness. A mohs hardness of 9 is just below diamond. If that were the case, how can the aluminum oxide in a compound scour it away such that it can be removed? A 9H pencil is a combination of graphite and hardened clay, that`s not even on the level of sand. Similar thinking, if a coating can be removed by wetsanding, you could certainly expect it to be removed by wiping sand trapped in a wash mitt over the paint.

The OPs question was actually, does the hardness contribute to scratch resistance. The answer, NO.

There are other factors (such as the anti-fouling) that promote easier cleaning which would reduce the potential for swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn`t it a matter of degree? Some people here have credited coatings for vehicles remaining marring-free for a lot longer than they did with conventional LSPs.

Press something (like dirt) against the paint hard enough and then move that something while its under that pressure, and you`re gonna get marring no matter what`s on top of the paint (you can even scratch paint through transit wrap, let alone PPF).

But *heavily* layered KSG has prevented marring for me in accidental acid-test-type conditions where I had a real "oops!", and I`d sure expect a coating to provide more protection than KSG.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say with a coating it sheds most of its dirt with a strong hose. Less dirt to wash away less swirls, but ONR probably would reduce swirls more then the LSP would.

Post Thanks / Like

This has got me thinking much more conceptually about coatings. I don`t think we will ever see a coating so hard it can`t be scratched. By their nature, we need to have a method to remove these coatings in the event there is a high spot or other issue, moreover, a body shop needs to be able to scuff it for a repaint. If a coating were not able to be removed by mechanical or chemical action, then your alternative is to replace the panel. Even if we somehow get a coating that truely is harder than sand, now mirka/3M/meguiars need to develop abrasive that we can use to remove these coatings, perhaps a boron carbide, which I cannot imagine will be cheap to manufacture or mill to the tolerances we need for 3000 grit paper.

I think what we`ll see is more self-healing options. If someone does get themselves a coating that can`t be removed with wetsanding, may god help them when they find a high spot.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a test report I got from Optimum in Australia. I believe this is a test of Opti-Coat Pro.

http://www.protektautodetailing.com/...ingTesting.pdf

Scratch resistance is real but it doesn`t make it scratch proof. If you have a soft clearcoat then it will certainly be more scratch resistant. Having said that, the biggest benefit of a good coating is it`s ability to withstand acids (bug guts, bird poop) and other strong chemicals.
    >>>> Follow PROTEKT on Facebook
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, The Driver, jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    No coating is tested for Mohs hardness. They are tested for pencil hardness. A mohs hardness of 9 is just below diamond. If that were the case, how can the aluminum oxide in a compound scour it away such that it can be removed? A 9H pencil is a combination of graphite and hardened clay, that`s not even on the level of sand. Similar thinking, if a coating can be removed by wetsanding, you could certainly expect it to be removed by wiping sand trapped in a wash mitt over the paint.

The OPs question was actually, does the hardness contribute to scratch resistance. The answer, NO.

There are other factors (such as the anti-fouling) that promote easier cleaning which would reduce the potential for swirls.
    Audios, great information. What do you think about Gyeon`s claim`s on their web site of having a Mohs hardness of 3-5 depending on which of their product used? They seem to have a fair amount of information and videos on hardness. Looks interesting, but too good to be true?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bmill View Post
    Audios, great information. What do you think about Gyeon`s claim`s on their web site of having a Mohs hardness of 3-5 depending on which of their product used? They seem to have a fair amount of information and videos on hardness. Looks interesting, but too good to be true?
    I couldn`t say if it`s too good to be true, only how I perceive it. If they have independent testing that confirms it, well, that`s hard to argue.

From my personal testing, which I think is consistent with other`s observations, the slickness and anti-fouling have a far greater contribution to scratch resistance than whatever properties are being measured by Mohs, Pencil or AS 1580 testing. Certainly the results are valid, and perhaps good for comparing the hardness of one product to another; but I don`t think the testing necessarily represents the real world conditions nor is it measuring a substantial contributing factor. I think this is at the heart of the OP`s intent with the thread.

Even if the Gyeon`s claims are true, it just doesn`t hold much weight with me. That silly lighter test can be replicated with a spray wax or spray detailer, which is a pretty good indication that the hardness isn`t really at the core of scratch resistance. Regardless of any of this testing or claims (inclusive of my own) about the properties of these coatings and what makes them good, I think it single biggest factor in scratch resistance is the human factor. Do a proper wash/maintenance and you will reduce the potential for swirls; take it to the tunnel and all bets are off.

In fairness, I have not watched the Gyeon videos to know exactly what they show or claim.

Post Thanks / Like

i see this from time to time on my facebook feed from Gyeon. while its not 100% its still impressive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how that side-by-side would`ve looked had the "no protection" half had some good conventional LSP on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information