Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do ceramic paint coatings prevent swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmill View Post
    Audios, great information. What do you think about Gyeon`s claim`s on their web site of having a Mohs hardness of 3-5 depending on which of their product used? They seem to have a fair amount of information and videos on hardness. Looks interesting, but too good to be true?
    I would question some of the 3rd party testing claims too and take them with a grain of salt. We don`t know how many layers were applied to the panels that are supplied to them or if it was IR cured and if so for how long.

IMO the best testing is the one you do yourself.
    Likes zmcgovern45, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Varies so much on the type of paint/coating install. Also I like to dodge bullets vs assume the body armor is going to save everything.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all thank you for all the information on this thread. Many of you are very highly skilled professionals and I have seen a number of you posting the number of sites. It is always really interesting to see your experiences and opinions. As for me I`m just a car guy bitten by the detail bug. I did want to make it clear however that I do not believe that any coating on paint can "prevent" scratches or swirl marks. However logic does draw me to the conclusion that in today`s world chemist can discover or design substances to apply on top of paint to reduce scratches, swirl marks, etc..

Clearcoat seems to be the first example of that in my brain. When I start thinking about clear coats, I assume chemist can probably come up with some that reduce scratches and swirl marks more than others. Something in my brain also tells me that the accountants and lawyers would shoot down many of these harder and more expensive coatings that the chemist have designed. The harder coatings may cost more and the accountants do not see a return on the average car purchase to having that coating. Then lawyers probably would agree with me that no coating would be "scratch proof" and thereby disallowing that term from being used. So I assume cars coming from different manufacturers would have different coatings with different hardens based on a combination of the chemist, accountants, lawyers and marketers views.

So it seems to me there`s a aftermarket niche to deal with this situation. Then in the aftermarket one would assume there is also a difference in the hardness of the coatings do to trying to balance longgevity, beading, glossiness, price and other factors.

Personally I`m most interested in increasing the scratch resistance of my clearcoat and the overall gloss/wetness look of my car. Durability in price fall lower on my list. In my view it would be wonderful to have a third-party professional testing lab actually test the top five for six products for hardness and gloss. Next best is to get learned professionals like yourselfs opinions based upon years of experience. Probably the least qualified opinion on the planet would be mine!

Damn this is an addictive hobby! and a big thank for helping make it more interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information