Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows Aren`t My Favorite Thing To Do

I, like I believe others don`t really like doing the glass during a detail. I`m as particular as they come and for the most part and am not usually satisfied with the result of my window washing. I had this conversateion the other day with Ronkh. I had just finished up a full detail and having tried 3 differnt cleaners and half a dozen different towels finished disappointed. He also indicated that windows weren`t on his top 40 list but mentioned a product that made this procedure easier for him. He didn`t tell me in detail about the product but mentioned that the material was called MiraFiber sold under the name of Ultimate Cloth. He told me these had been discussed on the forum some time ago. I either missed the discussion or much like the other glass cleaning threads I`d seen, ignored it. Always figured you either have it or you don`t.

Ron offered to send me a couple of these. I figured I`d tried most everything else over the years and probably didn`t like the way my windows turned out since newspapers changed inks and bonding agents. Thought I`d give them a shot.

Well, bounce forward to today. I tried these out. Ron had told me you simply wet these, ring them out and wipe the windows down in a crosshatch pattern, no cleaners, no sponges, just that easy. That too is what the instructions that came with the cloth said to do and that`s what I did. To make a long story short, these worked just as advertised, slick as a whistle and in little time. I looked hard to see where they`d let me down but they had not. You do have to rinse them out after an area about the size of half the windshield. They pick up dirt and and clog up. I was kind of amazed at how much they picked up on a freshly washed car.

These cloth`s aren`t some thick plush towel. They`re exactly the opposite quite thin 13.5 " X 15.5" and feel a bit like thin styrofoam. I`m sure they`re are other threads out there that discuss this product in more detail but I didn`t exhaust the search.

Here`s a pic:

Not much more I can say. These worked for me. Thanks Ron!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve, mnehls86 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windows Aren`t My Favorite Thing To Do

Ultimate Cloth - might be worth a trial.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a product called Invisible Glass, works for me with no streaking if my microfiber towels are clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IvantheTerrible View Post
    Try a product called Invisible Glass, works for me with no streaking if my microfiber towels are clean.
    One of my regulars and one of the 3 I was using the other day. It leaves me underwhelmed.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just resseructed an old theead on this a few weeks back.
    You commented on it years ago
    At least my memory is still partly good
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I just resseructed an old theead on this a few weeks back.
    You commented on it years ago
    At least my memory is still partly good
    I don`t even remember commenting on it a week ago.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes trashmanssd, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You guys think they will hold up for a long time?

Post Thanks / Like

My glass work is hit or miss, some times they look great other times horrible. My best results usually come when I use hope`s perfect glass.
    Hope`s 32 oz. Perfect Glass Fresh and Clean Streak-Free Glass Cleaner-32PG12 - The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    You guys think they will hold up for a long time?
    No idea as I`ve now only washed it now for the first time. I did ring it out pretty hard and it seems to be sturdy material. Ron could no doubt offer and more experienced opinion.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IvantheTerrible View Post
    Yep, been using it for years and works great - then again, sometimes plain old water with a good MF towel works just fine too!

Post Thanks / Like

anything like this zap cloth ?
    https://youtu.be/UZp5t2pVRcEKind of looks like the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone else I`ve also hated doing windows, especially the interior windows, and have struggled over the years to obtain consistently good results so have tried tons of products. Stumbled upon 3D`s 50:1 Glass Cleaner and Surgical Huck Towels a few years ago.

The first wipes with a towel dampened with the cleaner produces a grabby haze on the glass and as you continue to wipe with a second dry towel you can feel the haze being removed until the glass is very slick. I`m able to produce streak free results even without good lighting as you can feel the glass get clean as the haze is removed. I believe the Surgical Huck towels work so well because they are more substantial than a MF or plane cotton towel and they have a grain to their weave. Now I still hate doing windows, but my results are always excellent.

To top it off you can`t beat the price. 16 oz of the Glass Cleaner is $7.99 and you only need .5 oz per 25 oz of water so it ends up costing about $.50 per 25 oz of mixed cleaner if you use distilled water.

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    My glass work is hit or miss, some times they look great other times horrible. My best results usually come when I use hope`s perfect glass.
    Hope`s 32 oz. Perfect Glass Fresh and Clean Streak-Free Glass Cleaner-32PG12 - The Home Depot
    I agree, Perfect Glass is better than IG. Much easier to use because the cloth doesn`t drag on the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    anything like this zap cloth ?
    https://youtu.be/UZp5t2pVRcE
    looks like same thing different name
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a glass microfiber and invisible glass on my cars that out gas on the windshield. And a glass mf and water on the others. The key to cleaning glass IMHO is to keep the glass mf separate from all other polish wax or sealant towels in the laundry. I have skunked many a good high quality glass mf towel mixing it with other types of towels in the laundry early on. David from Street Dreams actually shared this with me in 2012 when he detailed my Subaru.

Good lunch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information