Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Undercarriage detailing

4u2nvinmtl- IMO/IME (and that`s all it is...) you *can* prevent rust long-term but luck sure factors in. My `93 Audi only has the factory rustproofing yet has remained rust-free despite being used primarily as a winter car. (Well, I had to replace all the undercar fuel/brake lines because the original owner didn`t keep the undercarriage clean, but the doors/etc. are OK.)

I only use stuff like Rust Seal as Paint Over Rust products.

For the bottoms of the doors I`d shoot some convenional undercoating that`ll seep into the seam. That way you won`t get salty water seeping in there to start rust-out.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    4u2nvinmtl- There are just *so* many different products like that these days! Yeah, the testing by the Canadian Military oughta be good for something.

nothingface5384- Yes indeed, when you can go the proper prep it makes all the difference! Especially if you can get to bare metal, then things ougtha go great. What I find tricky is the cases where I just can`t do that and have to literally "paint over rust". Yeah, you`re not supposed to do that but sometimes that`s just all ya can do. Rust Converters can help, but sometimes those don`t work out great either.

There are so many things that can go haywire...

If you try the Rust Seal I hope you`ll post back about how it goes for you (and !oh man! I hope it works out OK since I suggested it). Always hard to say how this stuff will work for somebody else...and even just *my* experiences have varied (I`ve had Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator fail when I would`ve *sworn* I`d done such good prep that it`d work great).

My relative dislike of POR15 stems mainly from a few cases where it simply didn`t adhere, including one time when a bodyshop used it on a frame (frame-off project) only to have it fail miserably (they assured me they did the prep right). OTOH, I have some POR15`ed areas on the underneath of my Tahoe that`ve held up great, so it`s not like I despise the stuff or anything.

The Rust Bullet seems to take a good bit of care when applying, and I have to do more coats than they recommend; the "pinholes from gas escaping" can be problematic.

So far the KBS Rust Seal seems the best overall, but I haven`t used it long enough or for as many jobs as the others so IMO the jury might still be out.
    Good insight on why things worked and didn`t!
    rhays probsbly why i had bad luck with rust Bullet. .2 layers wernr enough
    if i had good luck with por i know ill have evem better with the evolution design

Like i said, now i just play it safe and add a layer of liquid soud/heat insulation
    glad i came across this thread
    when you have good luck.with something you dont tend to use often you generaly dont sought after for.something better
    Thank you kind Sir lol
    ill check out the canadian stuff too

Post Thanks / Like

Por 15 vs. KBS Rust Seal - Mopar Body and Trim - Mopar Forum
    post 17 good tips too

Heres the water based insulation i like to add as a top layer for the rust encapulator
    Spectrum - 1 Gallon - Second Skin Audio
    they also have one called firewall for heat...use this on floorpans

I like the 2nd skin audio duo better then the lizard skin duo as youre not forced to spray it on...have option to brush/roll on
    avle to thicken the products too if youre trying to use it for audio specific reasons
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think of it, the more I worry that it was a mistake....Having Auto Armor sprayed on a two year old vehicle in winter - what the heck was I thinking?! Granted I had it resprayed in the spring after I pressure washed the heck out of it - but who knows what evil became trapped in the first spray...and maybe even moisture trapped in the second spray? I guess all I can hope for is that whatever is encapsulated/trapped is less evil than the salt spray to come in future winters (that won`t see metal).

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some undercarraige detailing I did on my 300ZX. I basically cleaned and scrubbed with APC and ONR. I then coated with a good sealant.

207370_1011326772127_2890_n.jpg

207062_1011326732126_2595_n.jpg
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

nothingface5384- Thanks for those links, very informative. First I`ve heard of the Spectrum. Yeah, I too like products that can be brushed as well as sprayed.

Yeah, the Rust Bullet can be tricky...I`d put it in the "Accumulator-proof" category but that doesn`t mean it`ll always for for everybody. IME you have to keep building it up until it`s self-sealed the pinholes and that can be a tall order. I just might stick with the KBS Rust Seal and Eastwood Rust Encapsulator from now on.

4u2nvinmtl- You can drive yourself nuts with second-guessing Let`s assume you didn`t seal in anything nasty and that it`s now better protected. But keep an eye on things just in case.

Pats300zx- Love. That. That`s what I aspire to. That`s how the undercarriage is supposed to look. Never saw winter, did it? How much does it get driven? I mean...geee, most of mine didn`t look that good the day they came off the truck from the factory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Here is some undercarraige detailing I did on my 300ZX. I basically cleaned and scrubbed with APC and ONR. I then coated with a good sealant.

Damn that`s sexy! Nice Vred tires.

If I get mine looking 1/10th as good I`ll be happy. I`m going on vacation (tomorrow) to a country house off a 5-mile long dirt road, so I`ll have to do it when I get back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information