Post Thanks / Like

Help Cleaning Cup Holder in 2005 Accord

Hi all.... first post here!

I recently inherited a 2005 Honda Accord, and there are some stains all around the cup holder. I`m new to caring for the interior of a car, but I can tell from the posts in this forum that I`m in the right place.

There are a lot of stains around the cup holder, as you can see in the pictures. I`m not sure how to tell the material type, but I`m guessing it`s plastic. I tried Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer and it didn`t do anything to remove the stains.

What product/technique should I use to clean out these old (likely coffee) stains?

Thanks!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Cleaning Cup Holder in 2005 Accord

first, try something else, like hot water and various brushes and diluted cleaner. second, probably only a dressing will make those "disappear". that`s damage from something sitting on it, likely a cleaner or very hard water. that material is very funny.

Post Thanks / Like

They almost look stained/etched in like acid or bird poop. Try a stronger APC or even an undiluted APC and see what happens. If that doesn`t clean it you could just throw a dark dressing on it to mask the stains. You could also try Novus Polish Step 2 or 3.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to a great Forum !

Einszett ( 1-Z ) Deep Plastic Cleaner - be sure to get the dirty seat side next to the console.. And the other side has a bunch of stuff underneath on the floor..
    It is going to look great when you are done !
    good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s QID is good but it only has a light cleaning ability. You may need something a little stronger. A soft bristled tooth brush would work on that textured plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst case, replace it. I have a 2003 that is the same. two clip fasteners at the bottom of the gearshift cover where it meets the cup holder (make sure you don`t lose the clips...they fall down underneath sometimes) Then the cup holder comes out pretty easy. I`ve had to remove it to get to the e-brake adjustment. It is $65, but as a last resort, it`s an option. Honda Automotive Parts

And my guess is those are caused from the acid in some pops. Coke is notoriously acidic...IIRC i think I have something where it ate through the shell of an egg after the egg sat in the Coke for a period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a steamer and that would come out. Use hot water and a tooth brush. If that does not work try something like spray 9. be sure to wipe with clean water after. I would use some pledge multi surface to top off when clean. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I would venture to guess that if the APC doesnt get them out something "melted" the plastic from being so hot and you wont ever get them to go away completely.

Welcome to the obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I will try hot water and a toothbrush first. For an APC, what product should I go with? I know someone mentioned Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner, is the Meguiars product of similar quality (its easier to get locally than Einszett)? Worst case, it`s a good option to just replace to the part. I`m both trying to clean the car, but also learn this obsession, so hopefully I can take care of it myself to learn a bit about this field.

Thanks again for everyone`s help!
    Thanks 20115.0 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    Thanks all! I will try hot water and a toothbrush first. For an APC, what product should I go with? I know someone mentioned Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner, is the Meguiars product of similar quality (its easier to get locally than Einszett)? Worst case, it`s a good option to just replace to the part. I`m both trying to clean the car, but also learn this obsession, so hopefully I can take care of it myself to learn a bit about this field.

Thanks again for everyone`s help!
    I mentioned the German product Einszett - 1-Z Deep Plastic Cleaner..
    You can only get it from a Detailing Website like this one, or others like detailed image dot com, etc..
    I have used it for about a decade and it can do about anything and not harm anything, and leave a very nice, clean, conditioned, matte finish..
    Its strong so you want to wear nitrile gloves, so it wont remove too much oil out of your hands..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Thread Information