Post Thanks / Like

Paint Protection Film - DG 501/111 around or over?

Just took delivery of a new Blizzard Pearl Toyota that came from the factory with hood, mirror, and door cup film. Had it on my last car and it really prevented tons of damage to the covered areas on a daily driver.
    I plan to wash, clay, DG 501/601, then DG 111/601. Should I go over the film or around it? Should I avoid the glass with these products? Back when I used Zaino I always used it on the glass and it seemed to blend the paint and glass together.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Protection Film - DG 501/111 around or over?

I take it we are talking 501/601 and 111/601 and yes you can apply over film and trim. As far as windows anytime I tried DG or Zaino it always left a smeary film. I do have Collinite on my windows now which worked perfectly and gives the windows an added carnuba tint. I still use DG Rain Repel on the windshield tho. If you do not want the Carnuba tint use Rain Repel on all windows as it will leave them as slick as the DG 111. I would advise doing the baggie test on your windows and if needed use a finishing or light cutting pad and DG Nu- Glass to clean them up.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Umh....shouldn`t we be speaking of DG 601/105 and 601/111?

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 601, but I am referring to 501 Marine & RV Polish. All these #`s obviously has me quite confused. One of the most confusing product naming schemes I`ve come across. Changing the #`s for the size of the bottle adds to the confusion.
    I`ve edited my post.
    Likes MiVor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have had 501/601 and a coat of 105/601 on my car for over 8 months and it`s still going strong--111 over 501 should provide the same results. OK to put it on the protective film, but make sure you wipe any off the edges of the film before it hazes over otherwise it`s hard to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tul9033 View Post
    Yes, 601, but I am referring to 501 Marine & RV Polish. All these #`s obviously has me quite confused. One of the most confusing product naming schemes I`ve come across. Changing the #`s for the size of the bottle adds to the confusion.
    I`ve edited my post.
    Collinite is kind of the same way if you look at the entire line up. I take it you are using 501 for it`s cleaning ability with a finishing pad. 501`s endurance is no longer than 6 months, 105 I would be looking to re-do around 9 months, straight 111 on the safe side I would re-do around 9-10 to be on the safe side. 105/601 111/601 layered I would still start thinking 9-11 Months. If you do rinseless or want a good QD 932 is the way to go. If doing conventional 901 and Aqua Wax as a drying aide. All of this could vary under a lot of conditions of course. I do a lot of rinseless washes and use a Boars Hair most of the time which makes it a little hard to judge the condition of the LSP so I use a MF mitt loaded up in various places (mainly hood and roof). If I use the mitt and touches the paint with the solution is instantly running off I know it is still good. If the solution just kind of hangs around I know it is time to re=coat. Kind of got off track with your main question which I already answered.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Being a white car I want to get it good and clean with 501 before sealing it with 111. I will being using 932 as a QD and have AW on hand. I plan to try the 932/AW mix as an after wash.
    The car is garage kept and parked under cover during the day so I am hoping for a long run between the major applications.
    I`m ready to give something else a try other than Zaino. Hoping this DG regiment will be cheaper, easier, last longer, and look as good as Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Zaino for 10+ years exclusively, it was the cost of the additive that always made me Bit**. I think you will like the DG as it is more user friendly with the 601. You can mix it 4:1 or if only doing touch ups apply the 601 seperately before the LSP.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with you. ZFX would dry up after a year or 2 and end up going to waste. Then have to shell out $20 + shipping to be able to use the rest of the Zaino polishes. I just don`t have the time or the motivation to get and maintain a "show car" finish on a daily driver. I`m anxious to give DG a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I used Zaino for 10+ years exclusively, it was the cost of the additive that always made me Bit**. I think you will like the DG as it is more user friendly with the 601. You can mix it 4:1 or if only doing touch ups apply the 601 seperately before the LSP.

Dave

Thread Information