Post Thanks / Like

Too much Polish??

Hi everyone, after washing my car today I went ahead and used a clay bar for the first time and got the smooth glass feeling (which was awesome) and then decided to use a polish (by hand). When I was finished polishing I felt more bumps on the surface then when I started. Does this mean I used too much product? If so, how do I remove the "new bumps" prior to final waxing?

I used the following:
    -Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    -Meguiars Ultimate Polish

I also bought Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax & Ultimate QD.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too much Polish??

Polishes typically contain a fine grit that is reduced as polishing progresses. I wouldn`t bother using a compound or polish by hand - you might want invest in a DA polisher (or even a rotary) for the best, most efficient results. By hand, you`d be better off with a pre-cleaner or a `wax` that contains a chemical cleaner. I`ve used Megs polish with my PC 7424 and I`ve never had any `bumps` or grit left behind.
    I can see why you`d want to remove any `grit` before `waxing`. Maybe with a QD product (same as you used to clay)?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like there are still surface contaminants on the paint. You may need a more aggressive clay bar if it`s never been clayed before.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sounds like there are still surface contaminants on the paint. You may need a more aggressive clay bar if it`s never been clayed before.
    I`m goinna disagree with you on that one....polishing by hand (with or without "new bumps" issues) can be problematic and aggressive clays will almost always mar the paint enough that a good thorough polishing is required (especially in the hands of somebody with limited experience).

ForumZero- First step is to figure out what those "bumps" are.

I wouldn`t expect them to be excess/residual polish; I`d expect *all* the polish to have been buffed away.

I`d examine them under magnification and try to figure out what they are before doing anything else.

*Maybe* try claying again and see if that removes them but don`t get so aggressive that you mar the paint and have to do even more (and more aggressive) polishing.

Does the paint look OK? Does it look ready-to-wax? If so, maybe just ignore the bumps and wax it and don`t worry. Yeah, I know...more of my Autopian Heresy, but I hate it when people try to do something and end up dealing with new problems that they didn`t know they had.
    Likes Ronkh, rlmccarty2000, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I`m gonna go back out and re-clay the hood and trunk then repolish those two spots. I`m also noticing a few fine scratches were left too, so maybe I didn`t work in the polish enough prior to buffing.

Thread Information